PDA

View Full Version : Page File Usage

joecool6101
12-11-2007, 07:38 PM
For some reason since I reformated my PC my Page File usage has been at 6.8gb and all the way upto 8.8gb

Since PageFile is stored in ram im not sure how it used 4x my actual ram..

Help would be appreciated.

LiNuX
12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
where are you getting the data of 6.8gb and 8.8gb - is that the ram being used? and how did you figure that

joecool6101
12-11-2007, 09:04 PM
Task Manager tells you.

lonewolfxix
12-12-2007, 05:34 AM
PageFile is Virtual Memory, a processor can only hold so much ram so pagefile is used to make up the rest of the memory a pc will need, it's found on an easy to reach part of the harddrive where it can be accessed as fast as possible and according to Bill Gates and Windows Support it should be 1.5x the ammount of memory you have, for example, I have 2GB of ram, I should run 5GB on my PageFile. To change PageFile settings do this.

At Control Panel | System | Advanced, click Settings in the “Performance” Section. On the Advanced page of the result, the current total physical size of all page files that may be in existence is shown. Click Change to make settings for the Virtual memory operation. Here you can select any drive partition and set either ‘Custom’; ‘System Managed’ or ‘No page file’; then always click Set before going on to the next partition.

Hope this helps (though I can't modify mine for some reason ^^)

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 09:25 AM
ohhh now i know what you are talking about lol, i was getting myself confused with something else in program files, never mind :-P

joecool6101
12-12-2007, 02:27 PM
i lowered it to be limited to 3gb.. but it still goes up to 8gb..

Its uber annoying. I have to restart every 4 hours as it just locks up :@

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 02:42 PM
is it slowing up your computer or stopping you from using certain files? right now im using roughly 900 mb even though i have 1 gb but i have seen it spike up to over 1gb before and it hasnt slowed me down or stopped me from doing anything

joecool6101
12-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Once it gets to 6.5gb it starts closing msn.. at 7.4gb it closes msn.. then at 7.8 i cant open anything.

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 11:06 PM
ouch, well im not 100% sure about this but it could be your ram cards, dont know if you want to get new ones but lonewolf will have to clarify that, i never experienced problems like that before

joecool6101
12-12-2007, 11:20 PM
ya i have never experienced this before either.. I think I am going to take out my ram and let it sit for for 10 minute and let the data in it be lost as that sometimes fixes it.

lonewolfxix
12-21-2007, 10:07 AM
RAM loses all the data stored on it just from restarting, it's static memory, the soon as it loses it's charge it forgets everything, unlike harddrives which basically scratches a load of numbers to store it's data and flash which burns little numbers into the chip, taking it out won't help, also, pagefile is on your harddrive, not on your RAM, disabling pagefile is not recommended for most machines with 2gb or less RAM.. have you tried running less programs? it's more than likely you're just running too much....you can't have *too much* memory... pagefile or actual RAM. it's more than likely your harddrive is running too slow. try and limit the pagefile and run as few programs as possible, also, more ram will help remove the stress and RAM can be bought cheaply now.. if you want more you can ask me :) here's a link to a picture i *just* took of the virtual memory settings on this pc with 640mb of ram virtual memory (http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/7928/vmemtp1.jpg)

LiNuX
12-22-2007, 02:14 AM
your image isn't working lol

and i actually experienced this problem today - only have 1 gb RAM and ended up using well over 2 gb PF - IRC wouldn't start, Teamspeak wouldn't start then i decided to just restart lol - my computer was on for the past week, i assume thats why - i might get another GB ram card for this - 184 pin still expensive :(

joecool6101
01-12-2008, 01:19 PM
Its not the case of my PC running to many things.. as even if I close out everything right from startup and just leave it on over night. When i go to do anything when I wake up it doesnt work because it still goes upto 8gb.

This didnt happen until I reformatted so I am just assuming something is corrupt causing to much load on the hard drive.

Kiss
01-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Dunno thatnever happened to me before i have clear my RAM alot. i only have 256 MB.

joecool6101
01-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Dunno thatnever happened to me before i have clear my RAM alot. i only have 256 MB.

Thats helpful? :confused1:

LiNuX
01-12-2008, 01:33 PM
lol, i fixed mine - i just stopped using IE - if you leave IE on for like an hour on my pc - the PF usage just goes through the roof, shut down IE, give it a minute, check PF and its back to normal lol

if u use IE that could be the issue and also if the PC is old, the new softwares and stuff coming out these days are getting really advanced for machines that came out about 5 years ago or so

im going to build myself a pc later with like 8 gb ram lol, and hope i dont have to face this problem

lonewolfxix
01-14-2008, 11:40 PM
RAM isn't everything... maybe you should try the programs from uniblue.. they seemed to clear my pc's a tiny bit of any such problems like that.. but i still can't think of a way to sort that out... might be worth asking those kind people at microsoft *very sarcy*

LiNuX
01-15-2008, 12:28 AM
i also found defragmenting to work, did it the other day and pagefile usage seems to be lower than usual now

right now im using 925 mb - before i'd use up maybe 1.25 or 1.40 gb - have no idea if they are directly related but it helped a bit