PDA

View Full Version : Switch hosts #5 in Dec - Today or Weekend?

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 12:08 PM
Well I wanted to get an opinion from some of you guys on whether I should move this forum to a new host today or this weekend? I didn't want to do it during the week because I Have finals and I'd rather be studying for that A lol, but last night the forum was down for almost 8 hours due to security faults in the servers, they had to shut off all ports. These #@&*%(&es didn't even notify any of their 100+ customers that they will be doing this telling us to take backups or notify our own members of this issue. I was up until 3 am last night trying to figure out what was going on.

Please if you want to open a website stay away from these hosts:
GB Hosts - they were good to be until old owner sold the company, new owner knows jack about managing a web host.
Auro Host - something like that - also owns GB Host
Cmodz-Hosting - current host which is full of crap causing the forum to be down for 18 hours this weekend and 8 more hours last night to this morning.

So since that's passed, should I move tonight or wait til this weekend and do it slowly because if I do it tonight, I'll have to rush it hard lol.

Opinions appreciated!

jakncoke
12-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Doesn't matter, but it's funny how you have the worst luck with hosts.

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Doesn't matter, but it's funny how you have the worst luck with hosts.

well from around may to october 30th it was all good with the same hosts which was GB hosts - the old owner was ok and he knew how to manage it, we didnt have any lags, like 0.1% downtime each much which is great and then he decided to sell his host and boom, the unlucky streak comes in - but i have a fair and stable host right now, i have a backup vb board on there and so far so good, i've been testing since i got it on saturday if i remember correctly

and as you know i have a private server at home - in a few months after its all finalized i'll be hosting the server from home, i'll have full unlimited resources so i wont have to worry about any more host bills or bandwidth issue or space issue, i just have to come up with the hundreds of dollars of electricity bills and cpanel licenses lol

Scott
12-12-2007, 02:44 PM
It might be ma curse!! lol only joking. Yeah do it whenever is best for you...

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 02:51 PM
then i may do it later on tonight, when people are off to bed or something but usually weekends are the most inactive days so i wanted to do it then but if hosts give me problems again i will blow up their datacenter lol, located in new jersey i believe lol

Scott
12-12-2007, 02:53 PM
then i may do it later on tonight, when people are off to bed or something but usually weekends are the most inactive days so i wanted to do it then but if hosts give me problems again i will blow up their datacenter lol, located in new jersey i believe lol

Yeah just drop a big bomb on it, nobody cares about NJ lol

Why not just do it tonight if you can't do it at the weekend then?

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
well i said was going to do it tonight lol, i wanted to do it in the weekends since im done with my finals on friday :D but im going to do it tonite to stop me from going crazy

conman1000
12-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Well tonight would be the best for me, Weekends are my most active days.

Scott
12-12-2007, 04:57 PM
I wont be here this weekend, I got plans :D

Metallica1983
12-12-2007, 06:15 PM
hey wut ever will be easier for u and i blame scott for forum's problems with hosts after all he said he's a curse to vbulliten forums lol:laugh:

Scott
12-12-2007, 06:16 PM
hey wut ever will be easier for u and i blame scott for forum's problems with hosts after all he said he's a curse to vbulliten forums lol:laugh:

It's not just VB forums, I've been on a lot of SMF Forums that have failed.

Blackbird
12-12-2007, 07:20 PM
Well hope you switch hosts soon so this site doesn't have to run so slow :D

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 07:27 PM
lmao - well i just got news from my new host they will be down for about an hour around the time I planned to - im gonna try to wait til after that done or do it tomorrow morning

what luck huh!!!

Blackbird
12-12-2007, 07:31 PM
You are not very lucky Linux, the forum have get down a few time now. Get a good charm or something. They may help you :)

lmao - well i just got news from my new host they will be down for about an hour around the time I planned to - im gonna try to wait til after that done or do it tomorrow morning

what luck huh!!!

LiNuX
12-12-2007, 07:46 PM
yah maybe i should get a rabbits foot lol, but if its anything like that supernatural episode, i wouldn't want to lose that foot lol

Blackbird
12-12-2007, 11:24 PM
Well yeah something like that :)