PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever purchase a game without researching it first?

TeknoVagrant
12-12-2007, 08:08 PM
I've heard some asinine comments on here about how some games DON'T have this or that...WTF!? I personally don't decide to buy a game unless I know about it.

You?

Supermoose
12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
I absolutely research games, but sometimes the developers can trick me. Case and point = Dead Rising. The demo for that game was 10x better than the full game.

Toxic
12-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Personally, I've never once been greatly disappointed by a game I've purchased this generation. I always read and watch every possible video and play the demo (if there is one).

There's enough places to rent games, there's demos to try, there's sites to watch hours upon hours of videos, forums and sites for impressions. So, as callous as it may sound, you have nobody but yourself to blame for buying a bad game or buying a game that doesn't appeal to you.

Scott
12-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Personally, I've never once been greatly disappointed by a game I've purchased this generation. I always read and watch every possible video and play the demo (if there is one).

There's enough places to rent games, there's demos to try, there's sites to watch hours upon hours of videos, forums and sites for impressions. So, as callous as it may sound, you have nobody but yourself to blame for buying a bad game or buying a game that doesn't appeal to you.

I don't want to admit it, but this is true. The two purchases I regret, Dead Rising and Far Cry , are basically games I could have avoided. The hype I had for those games kind of blinded me though to the flaws I read about in reviews and impressions.

What makes it tough though is that sometimes you take a chance and get rewarded. There was a lot of talk about The Darkness, and some people loved it and some people hated it. I was VERY unsure when I purchased that game and ended up completely loving it. So you never really know

Josh1995
12-12-2007, 11:59 PM
I look at how the game looks and then buy it if I like it.

Blackbird
12-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Yes I have purchase a game without doing a research but that's a long time ago. :P

jakncoke
12-13-2007, 08:08 AM
last gen I did it a lot , this gen with demo's and me being a better consumer I have only been tricked once. F1 demo was so damn fun and then I bought the game and was like huh wtf just happened it's not fun and not average, I traded it in for Oblivion...very good decision. Motorstorm kinda tricked me as well, very fun game but shallow, should only be bought for 20 bucks not the 60 they are charging+ they are raping users with the dl content, it's like use the full space of Blu-Ray instead of making us pay 85 bucks to have all the content.

Ada
12-15-2007, 11:10 AM
I bought NHL Blitz a long time ago and it's the worst game ever.

Black
12-15-2007, 01:00 PM
Well when i was 10 i never reasearched a game. I bought the game if I heard it was good. Most of the times I got disapoitend. Thats when i got Internet. I reasearch evry single game im going to buy. I never get dissapointed, never! I always check the following
-Read the rewievs(if i like the game i do the following)
-See the teaser triler
-See the in game video
-Play demo
-Buy the game if I liked the demo! Mostly I never get dissapointed in that way;-)

So the best way is to reasearch the game

Dunny774
12-15-2007, 03:54 PM
i do get dissapointed sometimes if it isnt as good as some people say it is i research games without lookin at spoilers

Blackbird
12-15-2007, 06:18 PM
Well, I don't think it's much of a problem when research a game. Well of course it's a bit spoiler when you research the game. Mosley I'm only watching on screenshots and trailers. :P

Black
12-15-2007, 06:27 PM
Yeah, but have to play the demo so you can see what the screenshots and trilers missed.

SolidSnake
12-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I definately research games. I mean, when i was younger na i didnt of course, but now i cant really buy a game without looking at a screenshot or review of some kind at least. Also, as expensive as games are this generation it would be impossible for me to not at least do SOME research on a game before plunking down 60 bucks on one.

Archivist
01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I think I research a little.. but not obsessively. some of my favorite games have been bought on gut-impulse.. and of course it always helps if it's on sale.

younging94
01-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Yea, i try and research it
But usually i rent the game and if i love it i buy it.

Gamer
01-29-2008, 05:06 AM
I dont research any games when i buy it, and so far I havnt been dissapointed by what ive bough. ;-)

Empress
01-30-2008, 08:07 PM
I used to randomly give games a chance, just trusting the developer to do good by me, but I'm learning not to do this. After NiGHTS and My Sims and Chulip, I wait for reviews now.

Dflat Major
01-30-2008, 09:06 PM
I always research.

rukisuto
01-31-2008, 05:07 AM
I do.
The one time I didn't I got screwed over.
Kane and Lynch.

Sensetivity
01-31-2008, 08:03 AM
No, first when i was a kid, i did not have have internet, so i did not reaserched. I buyed if the covers did look good. But now i am smart enough to know wich game has the popularty and the demos and the req and evrything else. But now... I do not need to cause i got YOU!!!:laugh:

LemonRising
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
I always research! D: -pats pockets- because.. I have no money, and if I use my money on a game that turns out to be awful.. I'll be upset. Plus it's a waste because I don't finish games I can't get into, or just can't stand.

Still, even though I research into games before buying, I'm always cautious about my purchases. Which may be why it takes me so long to get new games. Hehh.

axon87
02-02-2008, 12:09 AM
I used to do that but now I research any game I like before I buy it.

glenofimaal
02-02-2008, 07:14 AM
i don't research games but maybe would read a review about them or something

KittyCat72
02-02-2008, 12:01 PM
I've games without research before, if I could just tell it was good. Most of the time though, I hear a lot about it and just keep up with it until the release date.

glenofimaal
02-02-2008, 12:02 PM
yah i just buy the games that look good

looere
02-03-2008, 03:20 AM
I absolutely research games before buy it

UltraBoom
02-03-2008, 08:11 AM
I never research games buying them i just pick them up if they looked/sounded good to me .