PDA

View Full Version : Burnout Paradise demo is up.

Toxic
12-13-2007, 10:56 PM
On Xbox Live!.

Impressions forthcoming...

Scott
12-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Awwww I don't have XBL

Toxic
12-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Awwww I don't have XBL

There's A LOT to do in the demo...

Scott
12-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Does the demo have online modes?.

Toxic
12-13-2007, 11:03 PM
It's a nice looking game, runs at 60fps, the city is huge, it's kind of a lot to take in right away, slightly confusing at what you have to do, once you figure it out, it's quite fun, same Burnout glory, online is fun so far...

The open city is pretty damn fun to drive around in.

Scott
12-13-2007, 11:05 PM
It's a nice looking game, runs at 60fps, the city is huge, it's kind of a lot to take in right away, slightly confusing at what you have to do, once you figure it out, it's quite fun, same Burnout glory, online is fun so far...

The open city is pretty damn fun to drive around in.

Damn... I really want to play this game.

Toxic
12-13-2007, 11:09 PM
Does the demo have online modes?.

yeas, demo have online modes.

From IGN:

Even better is how Criterion is handling online play. Unlike most videogames that have lobbies and other middle-man programs to prepare you for the race to come, Burnout Paradise makes everything seamless. Simply locate a traffic light and friend via in-game buddy list, invite him to race, and when he accepts... BOOM! You're online immediately and ready to go. Keep in mind, this entire process happens without any interruptions or menu screens whatsoever. It's easily the most convenient multiplayer feature we've seen and will likely be the standard from its release point forward (and yes, we saw it demoed in real time on the PS3. Supposedly, it'll work the same on 360 as well).

The demo will be playable online, though we aren't able to hop on just yet as the game tells us that the servers aren't up. Still, you'll be able to join in with your friends and start a Freeburn Online session. Freeburn sessions are where you'll be able to partake in specially designed stunt sessions and the like, but as we can't hop online yet we haven't been able to test them out

Scott
12-13-2007, 11:11 PM
Thanks for that. I did see that already, but found it a bit vague. It doesnt actually say that players will get to drive around together in free roam online around the city before going into race events, and i'm surprised that if it does allow this they havnt made any comparisons to Test Drive Unlimited which is the only other game to have done this.

If you read it, it can be taken as meaning that players roam around the city offline and if both happen to be playing the game either one can initiate a race when they stop at a traffic light and invite the other players in which will switch you straight into online mode. So you wouldnt actually encounter other players online while free roaming around the city.

Am I just being stupid, or have i missed something?.

Toxic
12-13-2007, 11:13 PM
when your in the game your just by yourself.
and then you just press right on the D-Pad, a menu pops up on the HUD.
you press right on the Freeburn Option... press right again on the QuickMatch.
then about 2 seconds later, there's 3 other people in the world with you.

...no load times, no menu/screen changing, and your car is still in the same place from before.

Scott
12-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Is this game basically an MMO racer ala TDU?

Toxic
12-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Is this game basically an MMO racer ala TDU?

From the very limited time I spent with the demo, pretty much. The game is definitely a Burnout game, as the sense of speed is there and it just looks and feels amazing overall and definitely a big step up from revenge. After marvelling at that for a couple minutes though I just didn't know what to do.

I drove around looking for races (most were locked), and when I found one and started it, it was over before I knew it. The scare part was after that single short race, one of my first thoughts was the lack of variety in terms of scenery is really going to be a downer. And even with the races, I'm not sure what you do in this game, so lack of variety applies to a lot more than just the graphics.

So I'm just guessing then that the game is built around playing with friends and hoping that repetitive tasks are made more interesting adding real people to the equation.

Scott
12-13-2007, 11:18 PM
From the very limited time I spent with the demo, pretty much. The game is definitely a Burnout game, as the sense of speed is there and it just looks and feels amazing overall and definitely a big step up from revenge. After marvelling at that for a couple minutes though I just didn't know what to do.

I drove around looking for races (most were locked), and when I found one and started it, it was over before I knew it. The scare part was after that single short race, one of my first thoughts was the lack of variety in terms of scenery is really going to be a downer. And even with the races, I'm not sure what you do in this game, so lack of variety applies to a lot more than just the graphics.

So I'm just guessing then that the game is built around playing with friends and hoping that repetitive tasks are made more interesting adding real people to the equation.
I never really did much of the MP for TDU, but the SP stuff kept me busy for quite some time. If the SP is similar in this, i might be tempted. Maybe I'll look into it some more.

Toxic
12-13-2007, 11:19 PM
I never really did much of the MP for TDU, but the SP stuff kept me busy for quite some time. If the SP is similar in this, i might be tempted. Maybe I'll look into it some more.

Well after reading up on the game a bit, there seems to be plenty of different kinds of activities to do. What makes me more optimistic though is that the demo area is supposed to be less than 10 percent of the final map, so hopefully there's some good variety throughout the city.

TeknoVagrant
12-13-2007, 11:37 PM
I have to say that I'm a little disappointed with the demo. It's great graphically and the sense of speed is there, but the lack of direction turns me off a bit. Even TDU gave a bit more direction.

The race and burning run, for instance, don't give you any arrows indicating where to go. I understand that you have the compass at the top of the screen, but it's difficult to keep looking up at it. The race in the demo is simple, but longer races I can see being a pain.

I like the freedom of being able to choose your route, but at least give a bigger arrow letting you know where to go and a bigger indicator on your map where the finish line is at.

I know this was one of the complaints that I read on IGN in a preview from a while back. They hoped that it would be addressed in the final version, and maybe it will be, but it's not in the demo.

I may be choosing Midnight Club over this one.

Scott
12-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Someone tell me about the crashes!

Toxic
12-13-2007, 11:39 PM
Someone tell me about the crashes!

That's another small disappointment. I didn't see anything particularly special about them....pretty much the same as previous years

Scott
12-13-2007, 11:40 PM
That's another small disappointment. I didn't see anything particularly special about them....pretty much the same as previous years

if thats true then i will be disappointed.

Supermoose
12-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Amazing game. Most realistic looking racer overall. Best sound effects in a racer period. Cars handle more like a car than most other racers too.

Great game.

Crashes disappointing?

When you go and get your head checked let us know please.

Crashes are freakin realistic as hell. When you hit another car, they tilt up in the air depending on speed and weight of course. Everything is as near to realism as can be for the hardware provided so far in a video game.

Mr Cool
12-14-2007, 12:39 AM
Im pretty impressed by the demo. Ive always like Burnout games but was thinking about passing on this one. I like the more realistic approach they took to the wrecks this time. The last game was a little too over the top with the Aftertouch and all that Crashbreaker or whatever the explosion was, etc. I hope thats being left out of this one. I just might have to pick this one up. Gameflying it for sure.

DeadCell
12-14-2007, 12:41 AM
God, it fing sucks. Biggest disapointment so far this gen. They made is REALISTIC. WTF?

jakncoke
12-14-2007, 05:29 AM
A couple thoughts,

1) When you turn right, I don't like how the view turns as well
2) only 2 views?
3) I like how you have to go the gas to get the engine to roll over
4) really confusing on what to do
5) doesn't even show how fast your going
6) does look nice
7) actually good framerate, just shows how EA is incompetent retards, ty Criterion for trying

Overall this isn't a must have racer for next year, not worth 60. 20 at most.

Josh1995
12-15-2007, 09:01 AM
I'll download the demo and if it's worth it I'll get it.

Scott
12-16-2007, 05:42 AM
God, it fing sucks. Biggest disapointment so far this gen. They made is REALISTIC. WTF?

It's not supposed to be realistic lol it's just crazy fun...

jakncoke
12-16-2007, 06:02 PM
^^^
I think you misinterpretted his post, from my point of view..he is also mad that they made it realistic.

Josh1995
12-16-2007, 08:39 PM
I downloaded it tonight it's a pretty good demo I might get it when it comes out.

Scott
12-17-2007, 06:04 AM
Is it on the PS3 online? and do you need to pay to get it?

Toxic
12-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Is it on the PS3 online? and do you need to pay to get it?

ps3s online sucks bad. just get it off xbox live

jakncoke
12-17-2007, 03:00 PM
ps3s online sucks bad. just get it off xbox live

No it doesn't, and you saying that just shows how much of a retard you are, Live is better than PSN,yes... but PSN is far from sucking bad, it'd be wonderful if you dumbasses knew what you were talking about before spouting off at the mouth.

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
No it doesn't, and you saying that just shows how much of a retard you are, Live is better than PSN,yes... but PSN is far from sucking bad, it'd be wonderful if you dumbasses knew what you were talking about before spouting off at the mouth.

seriously why do you have to go around insulting others just like that, if you want to prove them wrong just tell them what you think instead of going around calling people a retard and dumass right at their face

if you believe someone doesn't know what they are talking about, just explain it to them!!

jakncoke
12-17-2007, 03:25 PM
That's the only way to get through fanboys and even then it's futile .

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 03:26 PM
That's the only way to get through fanboys and even then it's futile .

no thats not the only way, i just told you about another way, from now on do that please, and you wonder why you are always the minority lol

jakncoke
12-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I call out people when they need and I do it in a manner that's needed, perhaps you should just permaban me now cause I'm defiantly not changing.

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 03:43 PM
I call out people when they need and I do it in a manner that's needed, perhaps you should just permaban me now cause I'm defiantly not changing.

then i'll just have fun with the infractions don't worry - just be nice, being mean means you are hiding something, or as I am told :yes:

jakncoke
12-17-2007, 03:56 PM
I'm not hiding anything, I think it's clear I explode when ignorant fanboys spout off at the mouth.

Scott
12-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Yeah well I just downloaded it, I'm gonna play it once I'm done online...