PDA

View Full Version : Moderate Users? Vote Now

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Well this is to find out if I should set it to moderate all new users that sign up. What does that mean?

Well when a new user signs up and activates his/her account, he or she will not be able to post until I appove the username. This can help with the spammers that have been registering and ticking me way off target but it can also stop new users that want to post right away from doing that.

Just tell me what You think I should do. With enough votes, moderate users will go in effect tonight.

Thank you!

Blackbird
12-17-2007, 10:48 AM
Well I don't know, I think it's better for new user to start posting on they own, but it's great if there is no spammers on the forums. Hmm.. I'm don't really know.

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 11:01 AM
just so you guys know, i turned the feature on because another spammer just registered with username OhNoImBanned - i changed it to that of course from a horrible username - banned IP and email - just really making me mad

this will stay on until the "NO" here overwrites the "YES" or after the holiday season sometime in january

Joshuah
12-17-2007, 11:10 AM
I would say yes, will stop members spamming!!

Riku-Nara
12-17-2007, 11:13 AM
from past experience, when most people sign up, they'll want to post right away.
but when there's like an activiation time to wait for other forums, thy'll usually forget about it the next day.
(besides, are spammers really getting to be that much a problem? is it like a long process to banning a user and their ip adress, do so many spammers sign up a day?
)

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 11:17 AM
from past experience, when most people sign up, they'll want to post right away.
but when there's like an activiation time to wait for other forums, thy'll usually forget about it the next day.
(besides, are spammers really getting to be that much a problem? is it like a long process to banning a user and their ip adress, do so many spammers sign up a day?
)

its just a trend for the holiday season - they are coming up trying to hit sales and etc.. And no its not a really long process but there are some domain extensions that pass our blocker somehow - and as i said before 8 bans in 3 days is a lot for this forum, usually 1 a week would be more

and I am on like most of the day so i'll be approving and rejecting users as long as I'm here and trust me, thats a shorter process for me lol

Black
12-17-2007, 11:31 AM
Well if there is an option that first post hase to be in the inderduction thread he can only post there. If the name is bad like OhNoImBanned or somthing like that, ban him instantly! Well I really dont know :no:

But hope it helped...

Edit:Dont wait until you aprove his/her account because he will forget about the forum...

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Well if there is an option that first post hase to be in the inderduction thread he can only post there. If the name is bad like OhNoImBanned or somthing like that, ban him instantly! Well I really dont know :no:

But hope it helped...

Edit:Dont wait until you aprove his/her account because he will forget about the forum...

well they will get a confirmation email after they register, then if they pass that step, they are forwarded to the moderated users - then after i approve them they will get another email - if i dont aprove them thats because they are a spammer and i dont want them to remember the forum :twitcy:

Blackbird
12-17-2007, 11:50 AM
I'm changed my mind, this is a great idea Linux :)

Strickin
12-17-2007, 12:09 PM
This isn't a bad idea at all, but won't it take up a lot of your time going through the list every day?

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 12:18 PM
This isn't a bad idea at all, but won't it take up a lot of your time going through the list every day?

the most registered users we've had in one day was 13 and that was in october, in december the most was 7 or 8 lol, so no it wont, and i'll probably review not too long after the user registers and it should take less than a minute to review each, faster than banning, ip, username, email, etc.. lol

Toxic
12-17-2007, 01:46 PM
How do you know that you will not be banning a real person?

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 01:47 PM
i will look at the email and username, usually people like this name it very obvious that they are here to spam, and their email addresses are usually just too obvious even if the username isn't - if it looks legit, i approve and if he turns out to spam, thats a "shame on linux" kinda thing lol

Kiss
12-17-2007, 02:17 PM
This is a great idea it will be much easier to catch them on another forum a user named nike.com/something joined and was of course an advertiser.

jakncoke
12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
I say no, it will hurt the amount of new members we get and really there isn't that many spammers and honestly it's really small compared to other sites I am at.

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 03:15 PM
I say no, it will hurt the amount of new members we get and really there isn't that many spammers and honestly it's really small compared to other sites I am at.

we'll still be getting new members because nothing indicates they wont be able to post during registration - and like i said, im on all day, they could be getting approved almost immediately

conman1000
12-17-2007, 03:20 PM
Well, I always watch new users first few posts, look for spam links. But it is a good idea.

KittyCat72
12-17-2007, 03:28 PM
I like this idea. Sure, it stalls posters for a little bit... but if they actually plan on posting then they can wait until it activates.:yes:

Metallica1983
12-17-2007, 03:53 PM
i agree u should moderate all new users until username approval

Raw!
12-17-2007, 08:58 PM
No. LiNuX, are you really sure you want to decrease activity? We have not enough active users as it is, don't do this. Please.

Blackbird
12-17-2007, 09:39 PM
Why not Leech? Is a great idea for taking away those spammers. :)

LiNuX
12-17-2007, 11:07 PM
No. LiNuX, are you really sure you want to decrease activity? We have not enough active users as it is, don't do this. Please.

well as i said before, i'll be on to moderate all the new users, since i turned it on less than 12 hours ago, 1 new user registered and didnt even make it to the moderation list because he didnt activate his account - but i still have to test this out and see how well it goes :radar:

LiNuX
12-23-2007, 04:43 PM
just so you all know, this actually worked, the # of spammers registering the past few days has dropped dramatically

i deleted about 5 spammers in moderation and banned at least another 5 - still 5 in moderation because i am unsure of their status

I will be disabling moderation of users from tomorrow and see how it goes - I assume GF was taken of some spam list where these guys went to find out which forums they can spam in :D