PDA

View Full Version : XP or Vista?

LiNuX
01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Well im going to be making myself a new super computer and giving this current one to my little sister. I wanted to get some opinion on which you guys think is better. I never had the pleasure of running vista on my own computer yet to know its advantages and disadvantages and I know a lot about xp already.

Which would you guys pick if you were in my position?

conman1000
01-14-2008, 06:10 PM
I got XP, but Vista looks pretty good. I would maybe ask some guys at Radio Shack or sumthin' about Vista, but if I had to pick now, I would say Vista and just go through a week or so trying to figure out how to work it.

Edit: WINDOW'S 95 ALL THE WAY!!

rukisuto
01-14-2008, 06:40 PM
I have a computer with XP and one with Vista, and I really do like the one with Vista.

There are a lot of security pop ups, but you can disable those in the control panel. That's really the only downside for me.

I really like the look of Vista too :]

Blackbird
01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
If you have Vista the game you play looking awesome if you know about Crysis. Omg I'm sure you going to love it :P

LiNuX
01-14-2008, 07:32 PM
i may try out vista lol, if i dont like it i can always go back :D

jakncoke
01-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I voted XP, just because I use it. I will be using XP for awhile.

LiNuX
01-14-2008, 09:27 PM
i've used xp for a while as well, i used windows 95 and 98 longer probably (95+98 together)

and thats why i may want to try out vista - i may install both xp and vista and see which one fits me more

Riku-Nara
01-14-2008, 10:41 PM
there's no real difference between xp and vista.
weell, vista dosen't work with stuff that's old (like my printer) but most of the stuff can be downloaded quickly....
but vista looks coooler, so i vote for that.

LiNuX
01-14-2008, 11:02 PM
lol my printer is over 10 years old, so if i want to print i'll have to use my current pc or my laptop, that'll be a pain - but then again i may decide to install both again by parting my hdd, never tried it on windows but i did it on Linux (THE OS NOT ME) and it went well lol

lonewolfxix
01-14-2008, 11:34 PM
XP. I'm running a DX10 system and i was on Vista thinking 'YES!!! CRYSIS DX10!!!! HELLGATE DX10!!!! HALO 2!!!!!' But... don't do it, Vista is a bad idea especially with custom built PC's, drivers are b*tches and alot of stuff you use on XP STILL doesn't work on Vista, XP is still the gaming platform of choice (for any self-respecting gamer... though they may try vista and find themselves running back) Jasperking and I would both recommend 3rd party XP's that come with various programs and drivers pre-installed and make setting up your PC that much easier so you can get gaming asap.

LiNuX
01-15-2008, 12:29 AM
i dont game as much as i used to lol, but i still may try out both, vista for experimental purposes and xp for probably the real use :D

Joshuah
01-15-2008, 08:04 AM
XP is the way to go :-P Vista has too many problems and 95 doesn't have good Security and alot of software is mainly for XP, :-)

LiNuX
01-15-2008, 09:26 AM
the windows 95 part was a joke lol, no way am i going back to the 90s

lonewolfxix
01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
W2K used to be pretty good but driver compatibility etc. is making it more difficult to run. XP is the best option, gawd i remember like 4 years ago i was like 'XP? fk XP, 98SE is THE OS' and alot of people agreed with me.. it was awesome back then in 2003-2004... great for gaming. XD

LiNuX
01-15-2008, 04:56 PM
lol yeah - i switched to XP in early '04, felt weird but better cuz I went from windows 95 to 98 to xp - didnt use the 2000 and millenium versions that came in between

and it seems xp has more followers now lol

giga_girl
01-16-2008, 03:15 PM
i'll go for XP...the vista-its really hard to fix the problem

KittyCat72
01-16-2008, 04:08 PM
I'm on Vista right now... it's really annoying. I like I'd like my old computer better if it had DSL. On Vista, well for me at least, if you leave your computer sitting (like at the desktop) to use the bathroom or making something to eat or whatever for a few minutes it will freeze up. Then you have to restart it everytime you want to get on the computer. It's got some other problems too, but that's the most annoying; I guess all computers have their problems though. If I was you I would try XP first.

LiNuX
01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
lol that'd would really annoy me, my computer has been on for the past 2 weeks or so - i've been on the internet the past 5 days consecutively, but thats because i bought a new router 5 days ago lol

KittyCat72
01-16-2008, 05:02 PM
It is pretty annoying; I want to see if my dad can take it to this guy at his work and see if it's just our computer.

rukisuto
01-17-2008, 05:41 AM
I've never had any problem with vista freezing or anything.
Do you have an older computer or something?

LiNuX
01-17-2008, 11:17 AM
It is pretty annoying; I want to see if my dad can take it to this guy atis work and see if it's just our computer.

check the settings, power saving settings and stuff, my laptop used to go into hibernation if u didnt work on it for 15 mins (my old laptop) and when you turned it back on, it was extremely slow lol - had to restart

i hadn't noticed it was my power save settings until later on when my uncle suggested me to check

KittyCat72
01-19-2008, 07:52 AM
My computer is brand new... we bought it when my dad got his income tax last year. I suppose I should check that Linux; I just figured it was the Vista because it was like that when I got it.

Oh, and another problem with the Vista (this time I'm for sure) is that you can't download a lot of different programs and stuff... when you look at them it has a download for XP, etc. but never Vista. My brother and I always got mad that our computer was "too new" to download stuff.

LiNuX
01-19-2008, 10:00 AM
lol yeah i know that problem, programs are just starting to be upgraded for vista version, like my old router wouldn't have worked with vista lol, i think

KittyCat72
01-19-2008, 10:27 AM
It drove me crazy... but I figured they might start fixing it soon. I can't use my printer because we're missing the installing disk thing so we ere going to download it. Unfortunately, it didn't have a download for Vista.

wifi
01-19-2008, 03:12 PM
not much of a computer guy and i dont use vista so i will go with the one i use, XP :-P

Ubernerd
01-20-2008, 01:22 PM
Vista treats you like a complete R-tard. It is less secure and you have to spend several hours going through your system settings just to make it usable (believe me, I did this for my grandma). XP is much better, because all of your old programs will load from a flash drive, more functionality in general, and you can just use it without screwing around.

IMO.

BlackCain
01-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Vista is the Spawn Of Satan...
That's my opinion :yes:

Go XP! ;-)

I know it's not the best, but it beats vista by a long long shot

LiNuX
01-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Vista is the Spawn Of Satan...
That's my opinion :yes:

Go XP! ;-)

I know it's not the best, but it beats vista by a long long shot

xp is actually one of the best and most reliable and most secure at the moment - but Red Hat Linux probably beats out any windows system for security and reliability -

i dont think microsoft will succeed much by giving out the vista for free because well, as many of you have said and I've read and heard elsewhere, vista is useless and pathetic right now

BlackCain
01-22-2008, 02:14 PM
Vista just isn't primed.... for anything really.
Not even printers, lol.
actually, i may laugh, but it's quite true :eek1:

warboss.gremlin
01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
XP all the way. I have Vista now and it just sucks. There is no compatability with Alcohol 120% which I use to make images of games and movies, and LANing, which I do a lot, is a 50/50 chance on whether or not it will work.

lonewolfxix
01-25-2008, 03:54 AM
Your old router would work with Vista, Linux, You all have the wrong reasons for hating Vista except for Gremlin, don't worry my brother, I feel your pain, vista wronged me in that way, too. if there's ever software that doesn't have a vista download, most of the time the XP one would work anyway, if it doesn't, ohwell. When I was on Vista, I tried installing my webcam, Logitech said 'sorry, this camera doesn't work on vista' how much do you bet they just put something in the code to make it detect the OS and go 'well he just spent loads on a new OS.. why shouldn't he get a new camera?' I think a lot drivers may be like that right now.. Also, I ran Vista Home Premium.. I'm, as you all know, a tech freak, I love LAN Gaming etc.. Tried to setup a simple crossover network to find my second onboard LAN was disabled due to my version of windows... now i would of updated to ultimate except i didn't have a cd key for the home premium.. :P if you buy any of the CD's, if you don't want to enter the CD key as it's on another pc, you can just install Vista and choose any version of Vista you want and then just don't use the key and it won't lock you out anymore.. I tried it ^^ used my friends Home Pro which he lent to me ^^ I think the best is to get an XP with loads of programs slipstreamed into it, i've said it before, i'll say it again, as all your favourite changes are generally already made and some you didn't even know of and it just makes setup so much easier

Dflat Major
01-29-2008, 03:42 PM
I don't like vista very much, soo I'd have to say XP. Because, for one vista takes up alot more space as an OS, and you can modify XP to run like a pro.