PDA

View Full Version : Internet Problem

Dflat Major
01-31-2008, 05:21 PM
Alright here's the problem, my network randomly keeps shutting off. I run on a 4 port Linksys router and a speedstream 5500 modem. My ISP is at&t. When it does shut off, I have to unplug both the modem and router, wait a few, plug in the modem, wait, then plug in the router, wait. And it doesn't work if I immediately ,after it comes off, log in, then it gives me an error. Only if I do what I said earlier.

Any ideas ?

LiNuX
01-31-2008, 05:57 PM
contact your ISP's tech support, it could be a router issue but they will be able to help you since the modem is theirs and they know what is going on

also what you can do is reset your modem to factory defaults - there should be a reset button on there somewhere, or login to your router by typing in 192.168.1.1 in your web browser and setting it to factory defaults

192.168.1.1 is the default gateway for the router, if you've changed it, then its up to you to know what it is

the username and password for the login is usually both "admin" without quotes or "password" for the password

Dflat Major
01-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Restore to default does nothing

And I've already contacted my ISP, no help.
Not a fan of them anyway.

LiNuX
01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Restore to default does nothing

And I've already contacted my ISP, no help.
Not a fan of them anyway.

i'd suggest you connect your modem directly to your PC for a while, then see if it still shuts off, if it does, it could be your modem OR it could be your computer's Ethernet card

do you use other computers in the house? i mean other PCs that use the net from your linksys router

Jaykub
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
My Wireless Laptop Does It All The Time. I Have No Way To Fix It For Good. But It Fixes It. 90% Of The Time Its Just Reconnect The Eathernet But Pick Up The Phone. It Goes Out When The Phone Is On Some Times. Just Odd Things Happen. There Is Many Tricks Online

Oh Also Its If You Have Other Computers And You Signal Goes Out

Dflat Major
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
All I have for the network is my PC and my 360. When the modem is directly connected to my PC, it's just fine, but when connected to my 360, doesn't work.

My Wireless Laptop Does It All The Time. I Have No Way To Fix It For Good. But It Fixes It. 90% Of The Time Its Just Reconnect The Eathernet But Pick Up The Phone. It Goes Out When The Phone Is On Some Times. Just Odd Things Happen. There Is Many Tricks Online

No I mean I'm like in a 360 game and I'm just playing, PC's off, and it just goes bam, shuts off.
Only solution is to unplug both and wait.
Both my router and modem are wired.
It's not a phone problem either, I have a working splitter for that.

LiNuX
01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
it could just be the modem, you can try to ask your ISP to give you a new modem and take this one back, other than that i can't really say for sure

Dflat Major
01-31-2008, 06:39 PM
I might just do that.

But thats one problem, iunno how.
When I got the service, it was SBC
Then Yahoo!
Now AT&T
Iunno how to find out where to call.

When I called for help before, I tried calling the SBC support number that came in the manual. (really old)

There was no option for network help, or a new modem.

Joshuah
02-01-2008, 04:45 PM
Sometimes the firewall stops connection...

LiNuX
02-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Sometimes the firewall stops connection...

yeah but there isn't a high chance for it to cut it off out of no where

Dflat Major
02-02-2008, 01:19 AM
No firewall is on.

Kiss
02-02-2008, 06:44 AM
I have pretty much the same problem, usually after some cloud cover they might need a restart, or thats mines problem anyway.