PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried this computer or alike before?

UndeR
02-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Hi all,

I'm upgrading my computer next week because my dad's computer needs upgrade too (I'll give him my old things).

The new computer setup is like this:

Motherboard: Mother ASUS P5K Premium Wifi - AP Intel P35 P5K
CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E8400 Fsb1333 6 MB Cache Box Core 2
Graphics Card: eVGA Geforce 8800gt SC 512 MB G92 PCIE 2.0
RAM: 2x1 GB Kingston DDR2 800 Mhz modules
HDD1: Seagate 250 GB Sata2 16 MB Buffer Ncq
HDD2: Seagate 500 GB Sata2 32 MB Ncq 7200.11

Now, I know this system will rock but, I'm having the following concerns:

Will it run Windows Vista properly for gaming? I play COD4 and want to try Crysis
Will it run a dedicated VMWare Virtual Machine with Linux Ubuntu Server with 512 MB or RAM assigned to it or should I think about buying 2 more GB of RAM (to have 4 GB total) and still be able to play (that's having 1.5 GB of RAM left for Vista)?

Thanks a lot,

UndeR!

diablo
02-07-2008, 12:27 AM
i dont think you should go vista if you want it for gaming and for your second question, i have no idea about that lol, but do you want to play cod4 and crysis on a linux OS? i dont think if you can do that, but if that wasn't your question then im just confused

|Cl3aN|
02-28-2008, 09:59 PM
i would say for the need you want get a quad core.....and get vista 64bit if anything.....its much smoother in my opion as ive tried crysis and cod4 all MAXED xcept for aa/ cod4 runs about 60 fps minimum crysis runs great also

also with the service pack coming next month youll be good to go

4gigs is imo a must especially for your needs
but these days you can get 8 gigs for about the same price lol...thats where the 64 bit comes in

Jjjet1
02-29-2008, 10:29 AM
well this is what i've seen dual core is good for gaming and quad core for doing multiple processes (downloading music pictures files anything) why i say that is for gaming dual core's temp is lower compared to quad core because with quad you have four cores you get heat off of and for dual you only get two. but if you have a good cooling system and you want even more graphics go with quad. but for the price dual would be good. for now that is.

|Cl3aN|
02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
thats true....

but in the near future we should be seeing quad cores ready for games and such like being optimized(finally) lol

as for heat.....i ahve a tuniq tower....50 bucks or so air cooler...

i overclocked my processor a full 1.2 ghz and still never goes above 40c

i bet if you kept a quad at stock or somwhat slighlty above youd be able to get som DECENT performance and cool temps alike

and a q6600 is 259$avg and a the best dual cores are slighlty above that there alll in the same price range to me lol....its all abouit preference

LiNuX
02-29-2008, 04:37 PM
but these days you can get 8 gigs for about the same price lol...thats where the 64 bit comes in

lol that's true - i'd be getting 8 gigs for my current pc but in on 32bit windows xp - won't read more than 3.5 gigs