PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo! Rejects Microsoft's $45billion offer

wifi
02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Go yahoo! don't sell out to microsoft :-P lol they rejected the offer of their $44.6 billion bid saying they want some more money per share so it'll cost around $12 billion more.

Yahoo to Reject Microsoft Bid: Reports
Yahoo! Finance

In a bid to remain independent, Yahoo plans to reject Microsoft Corp.’s unsolicited takeover offer, according to reports on the Wall Street Journal’s web site.

Quoting sources familiar with the situation, the Journal reports that Yahoo’s board feels the offer of $31 per share “massively undervalues” the company. A letter spelling out the position is expected to be sent Monday. Yahoo also expressed concern that Microsoft’s offer does not account for risks to Yahoo should the deal be overturned by regulators.

The Journal source said the company would be unwilling to consider an offer below $40 per share, which would represent a $12 billion increase over Microsoft’s original $44.6 billion bid. It is unclear if Microsoft would be willing to increase its bid by such a significant amount.

A Yahoo representative said the company would not comment on rumor or speculation and reiterated that the board is evaluating all its strategic options.

The two companies have been in discussions about an alliance or merger for more than a year. Yahoo has long hoped to remain independent, believing it can reverse its fortunes and lift its flagging stock price.

In the summer of 2007, investors believed it was possible as well. Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang replaced Terry Semel as CEO and announced he would unveil a new strategic plan for the company within 100 days.

“There will be no sacred cows and we need to move quickly,” he said. But, after the 100 days – and then some – passed, investor patience wore thin, driving the stock lower.

story from: Yahoo! Finance Breaking News (http://biz.yahoo.com/special/release020808.html)

anyone think microsoft will make a higher bid to get yahoo or just give up? :D i hope they give up otherwise they'll get to much power :-P

LiNuX
02-11-2008, 12:12 PM
power to yahoo lol, i heard about this yesterday, they want $40 per share instead of the $31 per share that microsoft initially offered

microsoft is worth well over $250 billion so they do have the money to buy yahoo, but the question is, are they risky enough to make their bid higher by adding another $12 billion?

i hope yahoo doesn't sell out, can't give microsoft the extra search engine power lol, they'll rule the whole net with it with just google as a mere competition

Strickin
02-11-2008, 12:14 PM
Oh god, the day Microsoft owns Google and Youtube, the next step is owning the World.

LiNuX
02-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Oh god, the day Microsoft owns Google and Youtube, the next step is owning the World.

microsoft can't afford google lol, its the second largest company, unless microsoft is willing to pay up like 75% of microsoft's worth, they will not be able to make a decent offer to google

jakncoke
02-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Yeah go Yahoo with not selling yourself short, tbh I think they should nickel and dime Microsoft hardcore because Microsoft wants to get them hardcore as they know that's the only real chance they have against google. And yeah Google won't ever be bought out by Microsoft.. perhaps they would merge someday but I doubt that as well, I think they have bad blood. Either way I'm a google fan and want Google to do more things, like yesterday when I was thinking of things that would rock hardcore, If Google wins the 700mhz bid thingy, It would be solid if they came up with there own OS to run on there own Computer that runs free internet.

Kiss
02-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Go yahoo! i hate the site but Microsoft buying it? shudder.

glenofimaal
02-11-2008, 03:20 PM
i don't use yahoo (use google) but i hate microsoft even more and the thought of microsoft buying yahoo
*yells*

jakncoke
02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
I only use Yahoo for fantasy sports and as for Microsoft, 360 and simple OS is the only thing I care about them.

glenofimaal
02-11-2008, 03:32 PM
I only use Yahoo for fantasy sports and as for Microsoft, 360 and simple OS is the only thing I care about them.

yaa that's the only thing i use it for fantasy sports

Ubernerd
02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Good, Yahoo should NOT sell out. I use Yahoo way more than Google, actually. I say Microsoft needs to focus on fixing what they already have, since most of their products are rather meh. Look at what they did with Vista! (can I hear a boo)

rukisuto
02-11-2008, 04:20 PM
Microsoft is so power hungry.
I agree, fix some stuff they already have.

jakncoke
02-11-2008, 04:22 PM
This instance isn't power hungry, desperation is the word. If they don't merge they have no chance against google.