PDA

View Full Version : Netflix goes Blu-Ray exclusive

jakncoke
02-11-2008, 08:32 PM
Blu-ray news

Netflix Goes Blu-ray Exclusive

Posted February 11, 2008 by Josh

Blu-ray Disc The popular online video rental service Netflix has announced that they have decided to support Blu-ray exclusively for high definition movie rentals. Pointing to the Warner Brothers exclusivity announcement as the main reason for the shift, Netflix will no longer purchase movies in the rival HD DVD format, and once the life cycle for those discs has ended, they will no longer stock the format for rent.

Ted Sarandos, chief content officer for Netflix commented, "The prolonged period of competition between two formats has prevented clear communication to the consumer regarding the richness of the high-def experience versus standard definition. We are now at the point where the industry can pursue the migration to a single format, bring clarity to the consumer and accelerate the adoption of high-def. Going forward, we expect that all of the studios will publish in the Blu-ray format and that the price points of high-def DVD players will come down significantly."

While only a small percentage of Netflix users rent high definition movies, the majority of those who do take advantage of the services are renting Blu-ray. They expect that the shift to a single format will ultimately allow Netflix to provide a better service to those high definition customers.

Nice, the format needs to end really really fast because I BR to start eating up DVD marketshare so it can end that so I can buy hundreds of clearance isle DVD's

rukisuto
02-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Next thing you know we're going to haveto upgrade to Blue-Ray Disc.
Just like we had to upgrade to DVD from VHS.

I never liked Netflix anyways, lol.

jakncoke
02-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Why not? 23 bucks a month for a lot of rentals. I'm really trying to convince my parents to do this as we don't rent much anymore as it's really expensive because Family Video hiked up the prices after Movie Gallery went out and knew the mom and pop on Main St. is close to going out anyways.

rukisuto
02-11-2008, 09:19 PM
It was actually harder to remember to put them back in the mail then to run up to Blockbuster and rent new movies.

So we would always forget we had them and ended renting like 4 movies a month. It was a waste of money for us.

Blockbuster does the same thing, but if you recieve the movies by mail you can also take them up to the store and exchange them. I like having the two options better.

Strickin
02-11-2008, 09:29 PM
I've used Netflix in the past, and they have a good system going. I also like their selection of movies.