PDA

View Full Version : How do you create websites?

Kiss
02-21-2008, 09:36 AM
I was thinking about making a website today but, i have no idea how. can someone help me? (I have made a webpage before, but it never really got on the web)

LiNuX
02-21-2008, 09:50 AM
depends

but either way you need a web host - i recommend getting a cpanel web host and not those free hosted sites because they give you no real control panel experience

and you just upload your index.html file to the root directory and it should work

if you want a blog you can just install wordpress and stuff

your question is very broad since there are literally hundreds of types of sites you can open ex. html, php, cms, blogs, forums, perl, etc..

Kiss
02-21-2008, 09:57 AM
I meant index.html but i have just about no idea how to upload it...

LiNuX
02-21-2008, 10:05 AM
do you have a web host with a domain and everything?

if yes then login with FTP - i recommend FileZilla - just google that and you should be able to connect with your account username and password with address ftp.yoursite.com

Kiss
02-21-2008, 10:19 AM
No i don't, I'm a complete newbie to websites and everything all i can do is join them.

LiNuX
02-21-2008, 10:26 AM
all i can do is join them.

lol i think we are all at that point most of our lives

ok...about your website - what kind of website do you want? a full html that you will customize or a blog like wordpress and stuff

if you want a blog - you can sign up at wordpress.com and set something up or even blogger.com and blogspot.com are recommended - they give you a decent domain and with a decent control panel without the stupid ads like others

if you want a full on html site you need a web host with cpanel or another form of control panel - you can go to yurx or ej.am to get it - both offers cpanel (not a fan of yurx as much as ej.am) and both are Post4Hosts meaning you have to post to keep your hosting account lol

but if this is your first site i will recommend you go with a blog with blogger or blogspot and just check out what its like to own and manage a website so you know your way around when it comes to advertising and getting visitors

Kiss
02-21-2008, 10:35 AM
ok i think ill use blogger. Thanks for the help LiNuX I have hosted numeral forums. (The type nobody posts on)

LiNuX
02-21-2008, 10:42 AM
ok i think ill use blogger. Thanks for the help LiNuX I have hosted numeral forums. (The type nobody posts on)

lol no problem :)

let us know how it goes and good luck!

ksangeelee
08-26-2008, 05:08 PM
remember that most broadband connections are faster than leased lines of just a few years or so back, so you could run a web server from your own computer. I do that, with a static IP address from my ISP, but you can also use dynamic DNS if you're ISP changes your IP address. You can often get an old quiet low-power PC to stay on all the time and run your web server - I'd choose GNU/Linux, but Windows XP is good enough if you don't like command lines. Debian can get you up and running with just 'apt-get install apache2' and then edit your html in /var/www/default

Metallica1983
09-13-2008, 08:29 PM
hmmm sounds interesting I might do somthing like that oh and kiss if you want any help from me im pretty good when it comes to blogs