PDA

View Full Version : Computer going crazy

Riku-Nara
02-28-2008, 03:30 PM
guy from another forum is having a massive problem with him comp.

This evening, we replaced the two 256MB memory cards in my computer with two new 1GB cards.

A 500GB external hard drive was also installed.

I was not present during the installation, my Dad handled it. But now the computer has been acting quite crazy, and I am left to conlude that something was installed incorrectly, or a step was missed... or something that I can't figure out.

- The computer will restart randomly, and has done so several times already.

- Sometimes the computer will freeze entirely and need to be restarted manually.

- Usually after restarting, a report box will appear saying "The system has recovered from a serious error".

I am at a loss as to what is happening to cause these problems. If anyone might have some idea, I would be grateful for the advice and help.

Well now the problem just got worse. The computer won't even start all the way. It went to the text screen that says, "We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this."

I have the various options - Safe, Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, Safe Mode with Command Promt, Last Known Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally - but no matter what I pick, it restarts again and brings me right back around to the same screen.

I guess for now we should try putting the old RAM back in and call Geek Squad.

Here is what it says on the packages that the cards came in:
- DDR PC3200
- 400MHz / 333MHz / 266MHz
- And the company is PNY

glenofimaal
02-28-2008, 03:53 PM
that's wierd and creepy
we don't really do anything with our computer lol

Kiss
02-28-2008, 03:55 PM
No idea thats scary

LiNuX
02-28-2008, 04:14 PM
lol PNY - corsair or OCZ are best :D

if he took out his old HDD and replaced it with the new HDD and reinstalled everything - he has to install the motherboard with its drivers cd - if its not properly installed, the computer will not properly work

his motherboard may only be able to take just 1 GB Ram and not 2 - and looking at that post - he only has 2 DIMM Slots and usually those are usually Micro ATX Mobos - and if it's a few years old, the max it can take is 1gb or 2gb - no way of telling for sure

yay for upgrades

conman1000
02-28-2008, 04:16 PM
lol PNY - corsair or OCZ are best :D

if he took out his old HDD and replaced it with the new HDD and reinstalled everything - he has to install the motherboard with its drivers cd - if its not properly installed, the computer will not properly work

his motherboard may only be able to take just 1 GB Ram and not 2 - and looking at that post - he only has 2 DIMM Slots and usually those are usually Micro ATX Mobos - and if it's a few years old, the max it can take is 1gb or 2gb - no way of telling for sure

yay for upgrades

Lol, I have no idea what you just said.

glenofimaal
02-28-2008, 04:18 PM
lol neither do i

i should take lessons from the geek squad

LiNuX
02-28-2008, 04:25 PM
OCZ and Corsair = two Companies

HDD = Hard Disk Drive (commonly called hard drive)

GB = Gigabyte (referred to space or RAM)

Mobo = Short for Motherboard

Motherboard = Every computer has one - you place the CPU, Ram, PCI related cards, and other wired extensions here.

Micro ATX = a form of a Motherboard - means its small - about half the size of a regular sized ATX.

DIMM Slots = space for you to put your RAM Cards in - 2 DIMM slots means you can put in 2 Ram Cards for memory

Drivers CD = comes with all new motherboards so you can install stuff like the ethernet port, sound, and even graphics card if any available on motherboard

quick lesson lol