PDA

View Full Version : PC or Mac?

rukisuto
03-05-2008, 01:39 PM
No, this isn't a VS thread :]

I actually need help deciding on a laptop that I'm getting for my senior year.
I won't be getting it until a couple months or so into my senior year because my dad wants me to get top-of-the-line-blah-blah..

Anyways, I'd like to get some opinions and WHY I should choose a PC or Mac laptop.
What I plan on using it for is mainly graphic/art/web design type things.

I'd really appreciate the help guys :]

Jaykub
03-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Ya really got to go with PC

rukisuto
03-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Ya really got to go with PC

If you read my post I said I need to know WHY you went with your choice.
You list pros, cons, extra features, etc.
This is something I'm going to be with for a couple years and I need to be useful for what I want to do.

Riku-Nara
03-05-2008, 02:07 PM
i'dd recomend a mac if you want "top of the line, blah blah, blah"
darn good reasons (http://www.apple.com/getamac/)
taking one from that list, is you can run any of the major os's on there.

LiNuX
03-05-2008, 02:54 PM
since you are a graphics designer and all, mac would probably be good for you, it is equipped with photoshop and a bunch of other programs

im not a mac expert so i can't give you all the reasons there is to get a mac - i never had a mac laptop either, had desktops years ago

also for mac upgrades, you have to pay for those i believe which is annoying, a regular intel or amd laptop would let you upgrade on your own.

but again i am not expert on macs or laptops even though i have one, i only use it for school work, i'll tell you which I have

i have a Lenovo T-Series Laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo with 1 gig ram and a 80 gig HDD. My university gave it to me for free and it works great. Had it for a while now without a problem. Take it to class almost everyday to take notes and more :D

but whatever it is you decide to do, both have their advantages and disadvantages so it's more of a win-win situation than a win-lose situation

If you read my post I said I need to know WHY you went with your choice.
You list pros, cons, extra features, etc.
This is something I'm going to be with for a couple years and I need to be useful for what I want to do.

more than half his posts are irrelevant, makes me mad sometimes

rukisuto
03-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Thanks LiNuX :]
I know that PC has made a tablet PC which I think is awesome.
I have a tablet currently and definitely love it.

If Mac had a tablet PC type deal I would go for that no doubt.

This has helped me.
I'll also see what my dad has to say about the whole thing.

Riku-Nara
03-05-2008, 03:38 PM
If Mac had a tablet PC type deal I would go for that no doubt.

If you can wait till' April then there's this (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/01/11/unofficial_mac_tablet_draws_record_crowd_at_macwor ld_high_res_photos.html)

rukisuto
03-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Is that this april or next april?
That'll probably be the kicker that makes me get Mac, lol.

Riku-Nara
03-05-2008, 05:13 PM
That article was written last year, so yeah, This April sounds about right.

rukisuto
03-05-2008, 05:19 PM
That article was written last year, so yeah, This April sounds about right.

That is perfect :]
I'm going to be getting it for school next year so that's good for me.
Thanks for showing me that.

Ubernerd
03-06-2008, 06:14 AM
Man. It hurts to see people recommending a Mac lol

I hate Macs with a passion. When I heard we were forced to use them in school I nearly stood up and slapped my teacher, stuffed them into a can, and scolded them.

But if art and graphic design are what you're going for, that's the only thing the Mac is good for. The programs are much better for those that are on the PC is most cases.

Web design is something else, but explaining why would be moot. Macs already have me beat 2/3 (OH, that stings to say)

glenofimaal
03-06-2008, 09:01 AM
i have a pc but want to get a mac

LiNuX
03-06-2008, 10:08 AM

I hate Macs with a passion. When I heard we were forced to use them in school I nearly stood up and slapped my teacher, stuffed them into a can, and scolded them.

But if art and graphic design are what you're going for, that's the only thing the Mac is good for. The programs are much better for those that are on the PC is most cases.

Web design is something else, but explaining why would be moot. Macs already have me beat 2/3 (OH, that stings to say)

unlike you the rest of us haven't been stuff with macs at school lol, we used them freely, well i did and i used to have a mac desktop a long time ago, back when apple was pwning everyone in the computer industry lol

rukisuto
03-06-2008, 01:57 PM
Actually, I was forced to use the macs way back in elementary school.
They still have those same macs today, lol.
They're ridiculously old :]

LemonRising
03-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Alright, if you're going through graphic design, go with mac.
Why?

1) Schools use macs, graphic design classes use macs.

2) The graphic design work field use mac.

3) there will be trouble if you use pc, and are sending files to another person who uses a mac (and in graphic design it happens). My aunt is a graphic designer and told me about all the trouble she had when she used a pc, with file corruption and having to find different methods to get a file printed or sent.

I love pc, because it isn't all the bs that mac puts on. (oh we're great, were awesome, we're COOL (mac ads suck btw)) It's relaly just a face they're putting on it, like ipods. Ipods are fine sure, but there are so many other options that are just as good and way cheaper. Yet so many still go for ipod. It's all about marketing and appealing to the younger crowd.
PC is better for gaming, and it can handle graphics well. It does everything fine really.
But the sad truth is that the graphic design work field is littered with macs. :\ It's not the end of the world obviously (as I plan to buy a mac sooner or later)

rukisuto
03-06-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm with you Yetcha.
It is really ridiculous that Macs are so expensive.. it's agitating.
I really prefer PC by a long shot, I don't get why it isn't used more for graphics or why it even matters.

It's dumb :[

GF Eric
03-06-2008, 07:04 PM
I say Mac cause Mac Computers are so far non hackable for the most part. They still receive some viruses. But besides that, Macs rule.

Jaykub
03-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Lol so true a Mac is good for her design but I hate em

GF Eric
03-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Well I guess its war then. Haha your PC sucks.

http://nicknackpaddywhack.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/mac-vs-pc_1.jpg

KittyCat72
03-07-2008, 12:21 PM
I have a PC... but if I could then I would so go with Mac. It looks like it will be really good and I have heard so much about it. I wanted to get a Mac and then the game Spore to run on it... but I'm not going to have that much money anytime soon.