PDA

View Full Version : Setting up web server

LiNuX
03-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I am not a noob on servers nor am I new to hosting and managing web servers. I am just a noob on setting one up.

Some of you may already know that I am trying to move this forum into my own server at home which will hopefully give me full control to what happens and when the time comes, I can restart with a push of a button rather than having to speak to a middleman to speak to the other guy to restart the server.

I know I need to install Apache, MySQL server, and PHP. I have an idea on how to fix them but if anyone can get me a good guide to how I can tell apache that mysql server is running at a certain location and how I can edit databases, I'll appreciate the help.

Note: I have already set them up, I don't need a guide that tells me how to set each up, I need to know how to get them to work with each other. All three are up and running on my current PC as a test.

Also help on Linux servers will be most appreciated since that's what I use. And if you need to know which version of Linux, I use Fedora 8.

Regards,
LiNuX

Dflat Major
03-10-2008, 08:37 PM
You help me all teh time, but I can't help ya here.

For my WoW server, all I did was google for tutorials.
But for editing databases, I use SQLyog
Hope it helped!

LiNuX
03-10-2008, 08:41 PM
You help me all teh time, but I can't help ya here.

For my WoW server, all I did was google for tutorials.
But for editing databases, I use SQLyog
Hope it helped!

i need mySQL databases for website based databases - they aren't the same for everything - i use them for the GF servers (game servers) and it is completely different

i tried some tutorials, all they did was confuse the hell out of me OR just tell me what I already know

ksangeelee
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM
I can help you with this, but the settings will be specific to the applications that you're running on Apache; let me know the apps you're trying to configure and I'll tell you how to configure them - a good way to find config files is using grep, like 'find . |exec grep -i mysql {} \;' (or grep for 3306, which is the default MySQL port), do this from your web root. Mail me if you want specific help.

LiNuX
08-26-2008, 05:14 PM
I can help you with this, but the settings will be specific to the applications that you're running on Apache; let me know the apps you're trying to configure and I'll tell you how to configure them - a good way to find config files is using grep, like 'find . |exec grep -i mysql {} \;' (or grep for 3306, which is the default MySQL port), do this from your web root. Mail me if you want specific help.

well actually i don't need this anymore lol

i already know how to set up apache and all and i have even set up PHP for it, the mySQL was giving me problems

but I've stopped this project because my internet isn't fast enough to handle any of my web sites - the visitors would lag big time and it just wouldn't be fun - thanks for trying to help though :)