PDA

View Full Version : Good server specs?

Eric
03-22-2008, 11:04 AM
For those who know about hosting, what are good server specs for a VPS? I am currently looking at this one:

• 200MHZ Guarenteed Processor
• 1 IP address
• 64MB Ram with 1GB Burst
• Pick out of 7 OS's!
• 3GB Hard Drive Space
• Free Webmin (Optional
• 10GB Bandwidth Monthly

Any good? If not, what are some decent ones? I am not certain what I am going to start for a website yet, but with a VPS I could host mutiple sites, and I have never had a VPS before, so I want to try one out for a month maybe, and see how it goes.

Thanks,

Slacker

LiNuX
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
how much are you paying for that? and if you want to host a few decent sites a 64mb ram and 200 mhz processor wont do much

Eric
03-22-2008, 11:35 AM
its only $8/month

Well it will probably be for only 1 site for now, i was thinking image uploader or was also looking into a text-based mmorpg or something like that

LiNuX
03-22-2008, 01:08 PM
image host? you should get more space, ram, and bw for an image host if you expect it to succeed - definitely more ram if you plan to host lets say a 1000 images - AND you need ram so your vps doesn't slow up everytime someone tries to upload something

speaking of slowing up - u need more processor speed for that as well

Eric
03-22-2008, 10:10 PM
Well I only have about $50 to invest at this time to start a new site up. Do you think a shared could get me started? I mean if I were to go for a good VPS it would cost about $50 or more a month

That was just an example, I am not sure what I am going to start yet, but an image host is at the top of my list atm. Still looking into the forum idea for now, but it's always open

LiNuX
03-22-2008, 10:25 PM
yeah a good vps costs around $40-$50, your vps specs up there won't hold an image host because it needs more ram to process while images are uploading

you can open a forum but it'll be hard to manage now - maybe if you find a niche that isn't saturated you may get away with it

i would recommend you try out a directory but google doesn't like those anymore which could be bad for you traffic wise from google. but at the end it is up to you on what you should do as a site

Eric
03-23-2008, 01:46 AM
Yeah I get your point. What about the following for an image host:

25gb space
300gp bw
256 min ram
512 max ram
400mhz min cpu
3.9ghz max cpu

If nothing else, i will simply look into another niche for now

LiNuX
03-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Yeah I get your point. What about the following for an image host:

25gb space
300gp bw
256 min ram
512 max ram
400mhz min cpu
3.9ghz max cpu

If nothing else, i will simply look into another niche for now

yea that one is much better - it should be able to do something - and about the ram, i am not a 100% sure if that'll work or if it'll need more (never had an image host myself)