PDA

View Full Version : I Need Help!

Nerdy Knight
03-27-2008, 09:56 PM
I just got Metal Gear Solid: The Essential Collection in the mail today! It was amazing! I was so excited when I opened the box to find it was finally here. I took off the protection plastic and slid out the first game. I opened the case, smelled the new game smell, and popped in the disk. I closed my eyes in anticipation, only to hear the agonizingly painful sound of the disc read error. You know, when it goes Nrghghghghalsdjf! Nrr! Nrr! Nrr! Nrghghasldflaskjd! So immediately I'm going, "WTF man? This is a brand new game!" I check the CD to see that the outer edge of the disk was damaged a good deal. I have tried everything I could think of: Using the Lens Cleaning CD for the PS2 disk reading lens, turtle wax, cloth, but to no end. I managed to get the game to work ONCE. That was after I cleaned the laser lens on the PS2 like a million times. It worked for about a 1/2 hour, and when it was loading up the scene where I jump down into the duct to talk to the chief about the metal gears, the game stopped loading it and made that horrible disc read error sound again. I waited 10 minutes, but it didn't work. At that point, I become so pissed off that I just gave up on it for the rest of the day and played MGS3. So, what I started this thread for is to ask someone if they could give me any advice on how to fix this? Can you think of something I haven't tried yet? If you could, it would mean so much to me, because it was such a disappointment after waiting to get it in anticipation, and then having the first game disc not work. Thank you!

LiNuX
03-27-2008, 10:10 PM
question: why is this thread in tutorials and tips board?

if you recently bought the game, take it back to the store and explain and get a refund or a exchange it for a new one - and this time open the game in store and test it out a bit if you can

Nerdy Knight
03-27-2008, 10:18 PM
Isn't this the thread where you get tips from people?

Also, I pre-ordered this collection on Amazon, so I didn't actually get it from the store. I can't really ship it back, so that's why I was asking to see if anyone knew how I could fix it.

LiNuX
03-27-2008, 10:43 PM
Isn't this the thread where you get tips from people?

Also, I pre-ordered this collection on Amazon, so I didn't actually get it from the store. I can't really ship it back, so that's why I was asking to see if anyone knew how I could fix it.

no, this board is where you give tips to others about other things, not related to games exactly - otherwise this would be in the Games Category

i suggest you contact amazon or the direct seller there and explain to them that what you got was not what you wanted - the disc is scratched and damaged and they have betrayed your trust in amazing

it'll get to them, hopefully

thread moved to actions board

Nerdy Knight
03-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Good news everyone! I've figured out a trick that gets it to work! It's a little wierd, but when in the PS2 Browser, highlight the PS1 memory card, and then insert the disk. Make sure when you insert the disk, it is facing straight forward, and then do a 90 degree turn to the right, so that the picture on this disk makes you turn your head to the right to see it straight (of course). That makes it work. Now, I've gotten past the scratched surface in the middle and am on the 2nd disc. I'm so happy now! :D

Also, I've figured out it's not just me that having problems. I called GameStop to see if they had any info about it, and they said that they have been receiving a lot of complaints about the first disc in Metal Gear Solid 1 not working. I asked him about contacting Amazon, and he said that they won't refund it. I'm super glad I figured it out though.

LiNuX
03-30-2008, 12:16 PM
its not just a little weird, its a fair amount of weird lol

glad to know you have it fixed, interesting method you have there to get it working lol

Samus-Fan
04-11-2008, 10:39 PM
o.O...Not sure how that works, because the console has to read the whole disk to get the info, the info thats ECYPTED into the disk. So I guess it was just some luck you had there. I hate having damaged, new games. Glad you got it worked, though. I liked that game.