PDA

View Full Version : Got Guitar Hero III

LiNuX
03-28-2008, 06:28 PM
I finally got my Guitar Hero III today. I've been ebaying around for it for over a week now and finally got it delivered today. Extremely fast delivery since it was delivered last night.

I played it today and so far I suck when the notes are close to each other that are not the same note lol.

Any guitar hero advice for me?

I played like 30 mins today and total I have maybe 2 hours playtime for ALL guitar Hero's. (haven't played GH II)

I plan to start that career mode tomorrow, thank god it came before weekend started lol

Kujo
03-28-2008, 08:15 PM
All I can say is practice. If you havent beaten any previous guitar heroes.. i strongly suggest going through the tutorial thingy... and yes... as absolutly BORING as easy mode is... trust me... start there. It will help you develop those ring finger skills you lack right now. Once you complete easy mode, go into quick play, and just practice the crap out of those end songs on easy before moving on to normal.... rinse and repeat as you move towards expert. The reason I mention not having beaten the previous GHs is because if you ask anyone who has played GH2 extensivley, like myself, they will tell you that GH3 is MUCH harder than GH2 once you hit hard (Metallica solo on hard = harder than most songs on expert in GH2) and eventually expert.

Another helpful little tip... when you get a string of notes that come one right after the other, remember to strum up AND down. It works in both directions and will go along way towards preventing early fatigue in the longer songs. And, the last tip I can think of off the top of my head, is learn the hammer-ons. You will notice, as you're playing, that some notes look "taller" than others. What that means is if you succesfully struck the note prior, you don't have to strum for that note. You simply have to hit the corresponding fret button when it reaches the line. I'm not sure if that makes any sence but its hard to describe without showing you. Anyways, good luck and say good bye to your free time as you once knew it.

LiNuX
03-28-2008, 08:20 PM
thanks kujo lol, gave you some rep for that

i can play easy mode pretty well now even though i screw up at times, i tried medium and using the pinky just screws me up lol

and i don't have a lot of freetime to say good bye to lol, just this weekend i'll probably get to play a few hours, weekdays probably like 30 mins or so a day max but i really bought this so i have something to do in my summer break which is like in a month and a half.

Kujo
03-28-2008, 08:40 PM
If you thing you got the hang of easy mode, then go to normal, and just play the first... 4 or 5 songs over and over again to help you learn to use that little pinky of yours.

Keep in mind that while on normal mode, you will NEVER have to move your hand up and down the neck of the guitar. So make sure you practice using ONLY your pink to hit the blue fret and dont cheat by sliding your fingers down to use your ring finger. Its imperative that you get the feeling for where your fingers are at all times. That little "tab" thingy on the yellow fret is a life saver. If you ever get lost, feel for it.. dont go looking. just feel.

sidenote.. WOOHOO!! Rep gains FTW!

LiNuX
03-28-2008, 08:50 PM
lol i haven't tried to move my fingers over to cheat - i play the real guitar even though I am not close to good and you can't really cheat there lol, so im used to using my pinky just not on the guitar hero fretboard

i'll get it in time, i usually do - otherwise this forum wouldn't exist :-P

Blackleo
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Iam coming over to your house Linux !!!

LiNuX
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM
Iam coming over to your house Linux !!!

bring your own guitar!

Blackleo
03-28-2008, 09:05 PM
How much is it ?!??!

LiNuX
03-28-2008, 09:07 PM
How much is it ?!??!

i have no idea lol, you can get one for like $20 or so on ebay, no sure about the store though

Kujo
03-28-2008, 10:08 PM
You and your ebay fetish! I hate ebay! Altho, I guess it seemed to have worked for you and getting GH3.

LiNuX
03-28-2008, 10:23 PM
You and your ebay fetish! I hate ebay! Altho, I guess it seemed to have worked for you and getting GH3.

i bought plenty of things on ebay, i've been doing it for years, haven't had any bad experience

my PSP and ipod came from ebay over a year ago, i still have them, both still look new and they work perfectly - i just know how to take care of these things i guess lol - and I try to buy from power sellers when I can, usually most trusting

Kujo
03-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Yea.. Ebay scares me. After I saw some special that 20/20 did some years back, I haven't trusted anyone on Ebay. I know its used a lot but, for me.. if i can't find it on amazon, then I don't really need it.

LiNuX
03-29-2008, 12:10 AM
Yea.. Ebay scares me. After I saw some special that 20/20 did some years back, I haven't trusted anyone on Ebay. I know its used a lot but, for me.. if i can't find it on amazon, then I don't really need it.

Yeah i know how you feel, have a friend that got ripped off bad too, forgot what happened to him - i almost got in trouble for not paying for an item i didn't bid on - some guy was scamming people and did a mistake by pulling people not bidding into the whole thing lol

can't forget that issue, guy lived in kansas, got arrested - Poor SoB

Nerdy Knight
03-30-2008, 12:33 PM

eBay is alright most of the time, but I find Amazon to be better, because you can usually get better deals like I did on my MGS Box Set. I pre-ordered for $30 and got free shipping!

As for LiNuX and Guitar Hero III, good job! I still don't own this one myself, but when I get the money I'll be getting it. I do own 1, 2, and Rock Band though, so thats sweet. Yeah, listen to what Kujo said and practice on Easy, even if it's kinda boring. Still, work on it and practice those techniques. BTW, don't listen to people who tell you that the whammy bar gives you more points when you use it on the chords (lines). It actually doesn't, it only adds effect to the sound of it. I learned this the hard way when I constantly used the whammy bar, and broke it. Now I have to manually move it up and down on my own to make it work. Don't make the same mistake I did. It does however slowly increase the amount of Star Power you get when you use it on a chord with the star power in it. Hope this little tip helps. Have fun!

LiNuX
03-30-2008, 12:42 PM
lol thanks, i actually moved up to medium today - easy got boring, I was constantly getting 95-98% when playing any song, even ones I haven't played before lol

medium is a bit challenging and that's what i Like, hopefully i'll move up to expert by the time summer comes for me :D

Kujo
03-30-2008, 01:49 PM
If you beat the game on expert before i do.. i will be angry with you. I still can't beat most of the final sets on expert. Those solos just rip me a new one everytime.

LiNuX
03-30-2008, 01:55 PM
If you beat the game on expert before i do.. i will be angry with you. I still can't beat most of the final sets on expert. Those solos just rip me a new one everytime.

i haven't tried going past medium yet lol - i can play most of the songs i uncovered with little problem but there are some that gets be booed of the stage lol - I don't have the time these days to practice for more than an hour or two a day - i played maybe 4 hours total the past 3 days and now I won't get to play that much until next weekend since classes start again tomorrow :(

Kujo
03-30-2008, 02:11 PM
What exactly do you do Linux? You in highschool... college... med-school?!

LiNuX
03-30-2008, 02:16 PM
What exactly do you do Linux? You in highschool... college... med-school?!

college - i used to have a job but had to quit cuz of college, couldn't do both because sometime they interfered with each other in schedule and my boss was a pain

i just have tough classes this term so I have to make sure i don't fail in any way

Iceskater101
04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
nice!
I love gh3 except I am stuck on the last group of songs on medium!
):
they are really hard.

Scott
04-07-2008, 04:18 PM
I've still to get GH. But now Rock Band is out I dont know which Ill get.

LiNuX
04-07-2008, 05:34 PM
I've still to get GH. But now Rock Band is out I dont know which Ill get.

rock band is more expensive and i don't have the time to play games by myself these days and i know i won't find time to play with others by inviting them to my home lol - so i didn't bother, otherwise would have probably tried from rockband first

Scott
04-07-2008, 08:59 PM
rock band is more expensive and i don't have the time to play games by myself these days and i know i won't find time to play with others by inviting them to my home lol - so i didn't bother, otherwise would have probably tried from rockband first

Rockband is playable online which is one of the reasons I would consider getting it. But GH3 apparently has better tracks

LiNuX
04-07-2008, 09:38 PM
Rockband is playable online which is one of the reasons I would consider getting it. But GH3 apparently has better tracks

its playable online if you have xbox 360 or ps3 - i have ps2

Scott
04-07-2008, 09:41 PM
its playable online if you have xbox 360 or ps3 - i have ps2

that sux for you then. I wonder if they'll bother to release 4 on PS2. If they dont youll have to buy GH4 with a guitar for a next gen console

LiNuX
04-07-2008, 09:42 PM
that sux for you then. I wonder if they'll bother to release 4 on PS2. If they dont youll have to buy GH4 with a guitar for a next gen console

i doubt i'll be getting another GH game - i only played this one for 4 hours total and since my tv broke, i can't really play now - i only bought the game to have a version for myself so i doubt i'll be buying a next gen console for just one game especially when I don't have the time for it

and next year i am planning to go to Rome so I don't want to buy something just to leave it at home.

Blackbird
04-08-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm so in love with the Guitar Hero 3 is so awesome and hard xD

Scott
04-08-2008, 02:07 PM
i doubt i'll be getting another GH game - i only played this one for 4 hours total and since my tv broke, i can't really play now - i only bought the game to have a version for myself so i doubt i'll be buying a next gen console for just one game especially when I don't have the time for it

and next year i am planning to go to Rome so I don't want to buy something just to leave it at home.

You better not forget us while you're in Rome. The thing that kinda puts me off it is the price. There is a lot of great games that I have still to get so I don't know if I'll get my moneys worth outta it.

LiNuX
04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
You better not forget us while you're in Rome. The thing that kinda puts me off it is the price. There is a lot of great games that I have still to get so I don't know if I'll get my moneys worth outta it.

im going to rome for college work, but it's not finalized yet - i'll have my laptop with me and the dorms have internet so i doubt i'll be forgetting anything lol

and the price isn't that high on ebay lol - that's where i got it and got like 75% off the real price and the only used part about the game i got was the guitar and it works great - game was brand new :D

Iceskater101
04-08-2008, 04:39 PM
im going to rome for college work, but it's not finalized yet - i'll have my laptop with me and the dorms have internet so i doubt i'll be forgetting anything lol

and the price isn't that high on ebay lol - that's where i got it and got like 75% off the real price and the only used part about the game i got was the guitar and it works great - game was brand new :D

nice steal on ebay lol.
yeah i have gh3 but I barely play it.
only cause I am stuck. :/

Scott
04-08-2008, 05:28 PM
nice steal on ebay lol.

Well if you have GH's guitar you could get Rockband.

LiNuX
04-08-2008, 05:34 PM
nice steal on ebay lol.

stuck where? just go into practice mode with the song and pick a slower speed or something - i did that the first time i played because I kept pressing the buttons too late then i learned how to

Iceskater101
04-08-2008, 06:27 PM
stuck where? just go into practice mode with the song and pick a slower speed or something - i did that the first time i played because I kept pressing the buttons too late then i learned how to

yeah I have tryed practice mode and it helps kinda. but i still fail
:D LOL.
I am stuck on the last group of songs on medium like one and another one I forgot the name.

LiNuX
04-08-2008, 07:09 PM
yeah I have tryed practice mode and it helps kinda. but i still fail
:D LOL.
I am stuck on the last group of songs on medium like one and another one I forgot the name.

i can currently play on medium pretty easily - but only tried like 4 or 5 songs before my tv busted - hope its not hard for me lol, that'll be a pain to beat the game fully

Nerdy Knight
04-10-2008, 08:43 AM
i can currently play on medium pretty easily - but only tried like 4 or 5 songs before my tv busted - hope its not hard for me lol, that'll be a pain to beat the game fully

lol Wait until you start playing story mode on Expert. At the very end of the story mode, One and Raining Blood will murdalize you!

LiNuX
04-10-2008, 08:54 AM
lol Wait until you start playing story mode on Expert. At the very end of the story mode, One and Raining Blood will murdalize you!

heh..i have to be worried about beating the story mode on easy for now - like i said my tv broke 4 days after i got the game so i got like 4 hours of game play total - i haven't played the game in like 2 weeks now, who knows if i still have the skills or if its completely gone lol

Nerdy Knight
04-10-2008, 09:03 AM
lol It's funny how much we depend on TVs.

LiNuX
04-10-2008, 09:05 AM
lol It's funny how much we depend on TVs.

lol...yeah TVs

too bad the PS2 doesn't have a screen on it lol

but dependency on TV for mankind comes way before guitar hero III and way before any consoles so you can't really argue with that there

Megaman
04-20-2008, 12:18 AM
I plan on getting Rockband first, because I know people with it and it seems kinda fun. Then I'll get GH.

Aryon984
04-23-2008, 03:28 AM
nice!
I love gh3 except I am stuck on the last group of songs on medium!
):
they are really hard.

If I remember, you need to be decent at hammer-ons for the last lot of songs on medium (plus for pretty much all songs from there on in). So if you're not all that good, then I recommend playing "Lay Down" on Medium. That song taught me how to do hammer ons.

Now I've finished hard (except for Lou... If he gets a double note, you're ******ed) and am stuck on Raining blood and One on expert. Though I ALMOST got through raining blood yesterday. Might give it another shot soon.

TheDemon
04-24-2008, 05:50 PM
don't worry you will eventualy get it. I beet medium so you can do it and i'm just 11 so you can do it.