PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 3

Scott
04-08-2008, 08:38 PM
It's hard to go back to Halo 3's multiplayer after playing this - not because Halo's a worse game, but because it feels so slow in comparison. Unreal 3 isn't just fast, it's lightning quick, and makes Halo feel like you're wading through thick soup - which is no mean feat when you consider just how incredible it looks.

While you could never really call Unreal 'pretty' (it's far too dark and gloomy for that) it stands shoulder to shoulder with Gears of War in tearms of it's detail and overall polish. Hardly suprising really as it's been made by the same people...

It's a very different game from Gears of course - Unreals always been about online deathmatch and team games - that said, developers Epic have made a single player side of things, it now has a plot - of sorts - and for once, characters with a little personality as opposed to just mindless bots. And the single player mode is now a very important aspect of the game: it introduces you to many of the concepts behind the larger-scale team games, such as warfare, as well as giving you the chance to familiarise yourself with weaponry and vehicle handling. It's probably best to think of it as an exstensive tutorial and well worth investing time in, as jumping headlong into the online multi player without doing your single player homework is not only confusing but suicidal.

Ah yes, multiplayer. For all the advances in the single player portion, this is what Tournament is essentially about - and it's here that it really shines. At the most basic level, bread and butter deathmatches or capture the flag games are absolutly insane, it's all so quick and so frantic with a brilliant range of easily understandable weapon types that are expertly balanced and tweaked to perfection.

The shock rifle combo has now been beefed up greatly for those with the skill to use it - even the bio gun has it's uses and with enough practice they all play a valuable part in the game.

It's the new additions that I've particularly taken to though. The all-new Warfare mode offers up huge maps, loads of vehicles to get to grips with and the kind of see-sawing territorial play that rewards teamwork and reminds me that, when done well online shooters can be tough to beat when it comes to providing that feeling of exhilaration. Which brings me to my one main gripe - Unreal is still an intimidating place to be. I don't mean the people playing, rather, the learning curve before you can begin to get the most out of it. Start you're first match and you'll be chucked in with seasoned, battle-hardened pros - and promptly given a sound thrashing. Again and again. Fine if you're an FPS Veteran, but it can be frightning and demoralising if you're looking for an entry point into the world of online shooters.

The good:

- Quick and twitchy deathmatch-mania
- That it looks so good
- The new brilliantly tactical warfare matches

The bad:

- That it's very hard for novices

Graphics:

Like a more detailed Geras of War running at a gazillion miles an hour.
92/100

Gameplay:

Great mix of online shooter styles - tactical team based or free for all frentic
89/100

Lifespan:

If you can hack the pace you'll be honing your skills for months.
91/100

Overall:

It may be a bit hardcore for some people, but you wont find a better online shooter.
87/100

blaze4556
04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I was watching some peeps play this on xleague, i thought that the video was being fast forwarded cos the speed at which the players move is seriously fast. Good review here! i hope when i play it, i'll get into it quick or im gonna get owned.

Kujo
04-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Bought it..... but I'm home on leave and my computer is still in iraq... i can not WAIT to play this game when i get back!!

Nerdy Chief
04-10-2008, 05:07 PM
sounds like a very good game I actually might buy it