PDA

View Full Version : best strategy game

blound
04-13-2008, 08:42 PM
I am not a very big gamer, but lately it has been coming back to me. The games that interest me the most are ones that require alot of strategy/planning/thinking. Since I have been out of gaming so long I am not sure whats good anymore and was hoping someone could recommend a really good PC strategy game. Not trying to start a flame war over this, just some titles of good games that I can investigate.

thanks

LiNuX
04-13-2008, 08:47 PM
well no such thing as a "best" of anything, all just opinions so here is what i think

if you haven't played Age of Empires yet then you should, it's one of my favorite strategy games - AoE III came out last year, much better graphics than the 2nd version

also Civilization IV Came out last year - I have it and played it and it's extremely fun - even reviewed it in the Game Reviews section

just two I've played extensively to recommend to you - others include starcraft, and diablo

YuriPrime
04-14-2008, 02:49 AM
Why not try the Command and Conquer series? C&C 3 is now out and I think Red Alert 3 is coming out sometime soon.

Blackbird
04-14-2008, 06:08 AM
I'm remember my father play a gane called Civilization when I was a little kid, that game was really popular or it's still popular thought. Try that game before but didn't understand anything so I quit.

Creed
04-14-2008, 05:34 PM
The C&C series sold quite a lot of copies and I heard a lot of good reviews. I should give it a try sometime.

You could also try StarCraft, I heard it became an official sport in Korea O_O.

conman1000
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Age of Empires, Fire Emblem, they fit that kind of bill.

Raw!
04-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Ahh, Red Alert, the game that hooked me on gaming. It was pretty much the.. 1st game I ever got on the PC, my cousin gave it to me to play, and man was it worth it, such a good game.

EDIT: Didn't realize I got off-topic but.. Try C&C, great series, great games. Try Red Alert.

Blackbird
04-14-2008, 06:34 PM
I'm going to Paris and then I'm going to try Wrath of the lich king and Star Craft 2 when the company Blizzard is coming. :)

Scott
04-14-2008, 07:28 PM
Command and Conquer 2 is my favourite Strategy game. Because it's the only 1 I've played in a while. World in Conflict is supposed to be very good too though.

Jjjet1
04-14-2008, 07:54 PM
i can't believe any of you guys haven't said any total war game! i love playing those kinds of games! i've played rome total war for atleast 150 hours and medieval @ total war i've played just abotu the same! granted it's turned based but it's also a great game. i love it!

Scott
04-14-2008, 07:57 PM
i can't believe any of you guys haven't said any total war game! i love playing those kinds of games! i've played rome total war for atleast 150 hours and medieval @ total war i've played just abotu the same! granted it's turned based but it's also a great game. i love it!

Oh yeah. I loved Rome too. But my computer couldn't handle the game when I took over most of the map. I still enjoyed the big battles and I used the money cheat quite a bit too.

Jjjet1
04-14-2008, 08:38 PM
haha yeah. well i got a geforce 8800gts 640mb so it only lagged twice and that's when i was controlling 3k people and they were controlling 3k people. haha i love having those archers.

Scott
04-14-2008, 08:49 PM
haha yeah. well i got a geforce 8800gts 640mb so it only lagged twice and that's when i was controlling 3k people and they were controlling 3k people. haha i love having those archers.

Have you seen the new one. It's going to be much bigger than Rome. You can sail from Europe to America in it.

Jjjet1
04-14-2008, 09:40 PM
yeah medieval 2 i was just playing it. unless there's a new one. but you can't sail from there to there you play four different ones. americas britannia crusades and teutonic

Nerdy Knight
04-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I'd have to say my favorites are Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars. I recommend the GBA Fire Emblems over the Gamecube and Wii games, but they're still good.

IceCold
04-15-2008, 03:37 AM
My favourite is Supreme Commander. I don't play many strategy games becase I don't have the time for them but I do play Supreme Commander because it's so good.

Noli
04-26-2008, 01:55 PM
starcraft the one and only :)

El3mentGamer
04-26-2008, 07:41 PM
right now warcraft 3 but when Starcraft 2 comes out it'll prolly be the best.

LiNuX
05-01-2008, 10:48 PM
right now warcraft 3 but when Starcraft 2 comes out it'll prolly be the best.

i spoke to 2 different people about warcraft 3 today lol - one hated it the other still plays it

i had the game years ago but i lost it sadly during one of my moves along with a few other games

glenofimaal
05-12-2008, 09:15 AM
i really like the fire emblem games

especially fire emblem radiant dawn

Samus-Fan
05-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Strategy, I'm not sure about, because I don't like them as much.

Thinking games, however, I do play. Metroid is a thinking game, believe it or not. But, it isn't on the computer. My friend says that the command and conquer games are fun, though.

the pker omg
06-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I gotta go with Civ IV, god that game is fun for everyone for hours on end!

Logined
02-15-2009, 06:47 AM
+1 to CIV V, although RA3 got into my mind as the one orientated to the multiplayer. On the other hand playing CIV what is made on the bas of the open source you can easely adjust disired parameters along with learning Python.

Trunks
02-15-2009, 09:28 AM
I'm a fan of the Age of Empire series. Only strategy games that I got into. Have all 3 of them including the expansion to 2. AoE 2 is my favorite by far out of the 3.

Juicyz
02-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Umm well I havnt played any new stragey games, but I loved Red Alert, Yuri Prime, Star Wars Galatic battles, and The World of Warcraft Series, Frozen Throne etc.

Exylis
04-01-2009, 03:46 PM
I may be a bit old school. But one strategy game that's close to my heart is Lords of Magic, released on the PC around the mid-90s.

Another one would have to be Dungeon Keeper.

jakncoke
04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I am not a very big gamer, but lately it has been coming back to me. The games that interest me the most are ones that require alot of strategy/planning/thinking. Since I have been out of gaming so long I am not sure whats good anymore and was hoping someone could recommend a really good PC strategy game. Not trying to start a flame war over this, just some titles of good games that I can investigate.

thanks

Civ 2 is really awesome

Exodyus
04-01-2009, 05:06 PM

thanks

Lol @ no one noticing that this was his ONLY post...
ergo - he has never been back to read these 3 pages of somewhat boring strat games.

Civ IV is fun, but they took it too far with the conversions, politics, media style... it's used to be awesome - like the original Civ I for the 3.0 Windows.

C&C, other than Generals (which sucked), is Real Time Strategy, but it's more action and beating the A.I. to the punch, than tactics.

Final Fantasy Tactics, Hoshigami, and maybe Fire Emblem are great Strat RPG's.

Metroid isn't strat - it's action, btw. Lame puzzles. Lol.

memoryhunter
04-05-2009, 08:23 PM
I love red alert, Diablo2, and CSS. Not sure which I think is my favorite but thoughs are my favorites.

Trunks
04-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I love red alert, Diablo2, and CSS. Not sure which I think is my favorite but thoughs are my favorites.

Red alert is a Strategy game.
but the other two are defiantly not strategic games at all. they are a MMORPG and a FPS game.

Exodyus
04-05-2009, 11:45 PM
but the other two are defiantly not strategic games at all. they are a MMORPG and a FPS game.

^ Agreed.

D E F I N I T E L Y not strategy games.

Trunks
04-06-2009, 03:11 PM
^ Agreed.

D E F I N I T E L Y not strategy games.

Hey now lol, I know I can't spell. no need to rub it in :-(

Firefox spells for me but, apparently I clicked the wrong one.

Knibbler
04-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Personally I would recommend Ages of Empires 2 or Civilization 3.. also the Total War series was particularly fun to play.

And you can't forget Dungeon Keeper!

Strickin
04-12-2009, 12:04 AM
Halo Wars is a pretty great game as far as console strategy games go.

As for PC, I would have to say Starcraft or Civilization.

omgodzilla10
04-12-2009, 02:40 PM
Halo Wars for the 360, and Age of Empires 3 for PC.

Samus-Fan
04-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't play Strategy games too often, although I think Risk is a fun game...

I don't really play many strategy video games, I think I only own one, and that is Universe at War, which was better than I thought it would be, I found it really fun.

jeffturner
04-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Age of Empires is good

Shixx
05-01-2009, 11:30 PM
Check out Sins of a solar Empire and Demigod both fairly new Great Strategy games yet both are very different from the other.

Scott
05-03-2009, 07:40 PM
Empire Total War is Amazing. If you like any of the Total War games you need it. Civilization Revolution and Red Alert 3 are good console strategy games.

hidekipooj
05-04-2009, 02:32 PM
I don't play Strategy games too often, although I think Risk is a fun game...

I don't really play many strategy video games, I think I only own one, and that is Universe at War, which was better than I thought it would be, I found it really fun.

I don't know, I think Risk is a strategy game only so far, then it's just a toss of the dice.

Starcraft for me all the way.

LemonRising
05-04-2009, 03:09 PM
Starcraft will always have a warm fuzzy spot in my heart, in between my heartrolls. <3

I don't play many strategy games so I don't have much of an opinion in this area.

Master Ackrovan
05-15-2009, 02:50 PM
Sins of a Solar Empire. Best damn space game ever stirred by the womb of developers.

- The Great Archon

Lucia
07-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Final Fantasy tactics A2 ftw :)

SandryS
08-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Used to play Red Alert :) But most favourite are Age of Empires and Age of Mythology.. :)

tihomir_wwf
09-30-2009, 05:13 AM
Age of Empires II :-)

HamadaLFC8
09-30-2009, 05:57 AM
Rome: Total War!!!

Street_Soldier69
09-30-2009, 08:26 AM
Age Of Empires: Gold Edition

(btw I don't know what this thread is about, but anyway)

Aizen
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Dawn of Discovery was the shizzzz... And the Warhammer 40k games.

Blackmouse
10-14-2009, 09:45 AM
mmm... i think the best strategy is Warcraft and SrarCraft =)
i'm waiting for starcraft 2)

faamtan
10-26-2009, 08:42 AM
i like to play warcraft too.

staracker
11-27-2009, 03:43 PM
try this

"Dolumar International Speed" google, i dont feel like making 10 post just to post a link hehe

its free, its not so much character vs character, its village vs village. kinda like evony only not as "weird"
currently the top rated "clan" is made up of dutch players.

its simply strategy intermixed with high deception, second guessing your enemy, prepping for counterattacks, seeking targets etc. this server only started oct 31st so still a chance at building your village up to number 1. it has a premium option but is totally playable as a free standing game as well

the tutorial is kinda weak, best to ask questions in the chat room thats in game, but overall its pretty simple in concept hence the attraction of a game you dont have to be at 24/7 to get ahead.

it would be nice to see some other cultures in the game besides americans and dutch, perhaps asian or australian? regardless, make a village, create or join a clan (group of up to 20 players) and set your sites on the top spot, while you can physically destroy your enemies buildings down to their keep

Im Staracker on speed server, if ya make a village, be sure to say "hello" in chat :)

jango
12-01-2009, 10:12 AM
I really liked the Age of Empires series, but for me I was actually quite surprised with the playability of Rise of Nations and the expansion Thrones and Patriots. I still play it now and then when I feel like a change.

suesam21
12-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Age of empire series was my favorite and still it is. Age of mythology was good as well but did;t stretched later. i was expecting age of mythology 2. but anyway, trying similar other games.

jango
12-02-2009, 03:27 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot about age of mythology - yeah that was fun.

devilzzzzz
12-05-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Company of Heroes and Civilization are good...!!!!

Kenoi
12-05-2009, 04:04 PM
that Age of Empires game got my mind all thinking... I like that one.

El3mentGamer
12-06-2009, 08:32 PM
jesus, this thread is so old! xD

cant beleive its been necro'd so many times.

LemonRising
12-09-2009, 10:36 PM
jesus, this thread is so old! xD

cant beleive its been necro'd so many times.

A good thread is a good thread.

BobTD
02-16-2010, 01:24 AM
Lol @ no one noticing that this was his ONLY post...
ergo - he has never been back to read these 3 pages of somewhat boring strat games.

I noticed, but I wanted to take a chance to lay down some of my favorite strategy games on the PC. I will not attempt to pick a favorite, but these are for the most part staples of gaming history:

Myth,Myth II, Myth III: Myth and Myth II were developed and self-published by Bungie Software between 1997 and 1999. As a result of Bungie's sale to Microsoft in 2000, the company lost the franchise rights to Take 2 Interactive.. It was the FIRST true 3D (self proclaimed RTS) game and utilized a real physics engine to drive all projectiles such as arrows. Even a miss would have a chance to hit targets behind the enemy, including friendly fire. While not traditional RTS because you cant create units, its still a strategy game based on a smaller force out maneuvering and outsmarting a larger one. The sub genre is referred to as real time tactics.

Command and conquer : Need I say more? Command & Conquer's long history resulted in Guinness World Records awarding the series 6 world records in the Guinness World Records: Gamer's Edition 2008. These records include "Biggest Selling RTS Series", "Most Number of Platforms for an RTS", and "Longest Running Actor in Video Game Role" for Joe Kucan, who has played the part of Kane, the villainous mastermind of the series, for 14 years.

Starcraft: =P My personal favorite. StarCraft's use of three distinct races is often credited for having revolutionized the real-time strategy genre. GameSpot described StarCraft as "the defining game of its genre. It is the standard by which all real-time strategy games are judged." while IGN stated that StarCraft "is hands down one of the best, if not the best, real-time strategy games ever created." StarCraft is frequently included in the industry's best games rankings. But dont take their word for it if you havent played this series yet.

Age of empires II: Seeing as everyone else has decided to vote for AOE:III I wanted to point out that AOEII has some of most most famously balanced multiplayer action of any game I have ever played. Its games mid evil setting and multiple game types make it simply one of the best party/LAN games.

If you enjoy the AOE series, also look into Age of Mythology.

Black and White 1&2: This is a more recent RTS but still a very loved one. It's gameplay is heavily based around a giant creature you raise to be good or evil to help you build or destroy, each having its own stratigic advantage in the RTS formula. But its weak AI and lack of multilayer leaves it a much loved but sorely underrated RTS.

DiabloII is not an MMO. Its a multiplayer RPG to an extent, but in no way massive considering its low player cap and user server hosting. I would consider it a dungeon crawler before anything else. The RPG element is really very limited. Its also a game that stands a good chance of never being uninstalled from my computer.

Muffincat
02-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Command and Conquer will always have my heart.

jango
02-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Command and Conquer will always have my heart.

i feel the same about aoe2

BobTD
02-27-2010, 06:06 PM
Jango we should play some AOE2 sometime. Its really one of the best balanced multiplayer RTS games (against human opponents) I have ever played.

jango
02-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Jango we should play some AOE2 sometime. Its really one of the best balanced multiplayer RTS games (against human opponents) I have ever played.

i haven't played it in a while .. sooo many games .. sooo little time :P

mscofield
03-19-2010, 02:41 AM
I really think Battle Realms was great. Too mad they never made a sequel...

bullstep
04-14-2010, 02:08 PM
the warcraft series were good, definitiely
i liked starcraft, aoe too
rome total war was awesome
and one of my favs: trrrrrrrropico

youthism_is_me
04-14-2010, 02:17 PM
I'm remember my father play a gane called Civilization when I was a little kid, that game was really popular or it's still popular thought. Try that game before but didn't understand anything so I quit.

Yes Civilization 1-3 only hey are great so is spacecraft

industry12
07-29-2010, 10:28 AM
awtsssssssssssssss

ghegpatatas
07-30-2010, 10:56 AM
red alert 2 IMO. :)

BobTD
07-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Wow I can feel the dark energy of necromancy in the air....

Anyways, since we are not specifying what kind of strategy games I would like to point out Fat Princess on the PSP as probably the best handheld action/strategy I could find. It has resource collection to improve job classes, that you use in a capture the flag sort of above view hack and slash. The princess in the flag and you feed her cake to make her heavier so she cant be carried off quite so fast.

YuriPrime
08-06-2010, 05:03 PM
C&C 3 Tib Wars for me... C&C4 was a huge letdown in a number of ways.

Also - I'm choked that Halo Wars was never released for PC.

BobTD
08-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Actually, I think pokemon was probably the best strategy game ever made. =P

Dess
08-07-2010, 06:16 AM
I liked Black and White. That game we played in NY was pretty fun.... I can't remember the name of it for the life of me though.

Xyth
08-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Starcraft: Brood war was one of the best strategy games i ever saw!i hope starcraft II Would be also like that :)
Anyways..Starcraft II Wings of liberty would be cool..C&C Series are great,too.

blackHawk_down
08-22-2010, 09:42 PM
Starcraft: Brood war was one of the best strategy games i ever saw!i hope starcraft II Would be also like that :)
Anyways..Starcraft II Wings of liberty would be cool..C&C Series are great,too.

i agree..starcraft is the best for me..:D

Raoul
11-08-2010, 04:05 AM
For me Starcraft 2 is one of the best strategy games that I have played and the graphics in this game is really amazingly beautiful I can't wait for the expansions to come out so that I can buy them and play them.