PDA

View Full Version : 800 Points to change Gamertag WTF???

Scott
04-15-2008, 07:03 PM
Is microsoft serious, 800 points just to change you're gamertag?

Foxhound
04-15-2008, 07:06 PM
If it were easy people would change them all the time. Grow up.

Scott
04-15-2008, 07:11 PM
If it were easy people would change them all the time. Grow up.

Grow up? where does that comment come from, I am grown up thank you very much.

What is the problem with people changing their gamertag all the time?

Foxhound
04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Grow up? where does that comment come from, I am grown up thank you very much.

What is the problem with people changing their gamertag all the time?

You're friends list would go straight to hell if you're friends are non-stop changing their tag. I don't see the need to change you're tag all the time, however there should be an option like in Return to castle wolfstein to change you're in-game name.

rukisuto
04-15-2008, 08:08 PM
You can't duplicate gamertags.. so it would be difficult if people were changing them all the time.
I don't really plan on changing mine.

Samus-Fan
04-15-2008, 08:09 PM
I don't understand why you would want to change it. You pick a name you like when you start. Does it really need to be changed?

rukisuto
04-15-2008, 08:30 PM
I don't understand why you would want to change it. You pick a name you like when you start. Does it really need to be changed?

I could understand if they made the name when they were 12 and it was retarded, lol.
But that's why it's more expensive to do it.
Just to keep it under control.

Samus-Fan
04-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Whats so bad about GamerTags like "Sploushkded" or "Lord Vld of Knightengale Kingdom" or "Sweet Cuppin' Cakes" or "Duh 'Duh'-Ster"? I like those names...

blaze4556
04-15-2008, 11:44 PM
its true...if you didnt play xbl for a month and then went on it again when you look at your friends list, they will all be differant names. you would be asking every single one of them "hey, do i know you? did you change your gamertag?"

IceCold
04-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Just pick a good gamertag the first time around!

MetalMario
04-16-2008, 04:33 AM
The reason it costs is because they have to modify the database. When you have so many things attached to your gamertag (friends lists etc) more than just your name has to be changed, with that in mind they have a large area of possible error. The money from it would help pay wages to the staff that constantly monitor the database.

IceCold
04-16-2008, 04:42 AM
The reason it costs is because they have to modify the database. When you have so many things attached to your gamertag (friends lists etc) more than just your name has to be changed, with that in mind they have a large area of possible error. The money from it would help pay wages to the staff that constantly monitor the database.

I find that to be a pretty shady argument.

That would all be negated if XBL accounts had a unique persistant id, which, I can almost guarauntee it does. You shouldn't have to modify everything induvidualy, it's not like you take all the details of an account and move it over to one with a different name. All it should be is a modification of the name value for that account. Then when someone you played with or is on your friends list tries to contact you, the name will be updated on their end. The only thing that needs to be changed is the name, that's it, if there's an error you wind up with a name you didn't want, but everything else should remain fine including achievments and friends lists.

Unless MS has a totally assanine way of handeling gamertags their shouldn't be any issues or cost involved. MS is just trying to make money. While I wish name changes were free it is a deterrant which is good. I'd prefer if they made like a 1 change per month limit or drop the price though.

MetalMario
04-16-2008, 04:49 AM
I find that to be a pretty shady argument.

That would all be negated if XBL accounts had a unique persistant id, which, I can almost guarauntee it does. You shouldn't have to modify everything induvidualy, it's not like you take all the details of an account and move it over to one with a different name. All it should be is a modification of the name value for that account. Then when someone you played with or is on your friends list tries to contact you, the name will be updated on their end. The only thing that needs to be changed is the name, that's it, if there's an error you wind up with a name you didn't want, but everything else should remain fine including achievments and friends lists.

Unless MS has a totally assanine way of handeling gamertags their shouldn't be any issues or cost involved. MS is just trying to make money. While I wish name changes were free it is a deterrant which is good. I'd prefer if they made like a 1 change per month limit or drop the price though.

Yes every Xbox live account will have a unique id, and yes they will use relational databases so each value has to be changed just once but it still has the risk of going wrong. The cost of backing up the XBL database would be in the thousands and they have to do this almost every day. The cost of chainging 1 account would be negligable at no more than 3USD. The fact remains they are still going to charge because it makes them money and allows them to pay staff that watch and maintain their servers.

I think the cost is reasonable, if you need to keep chainging your gamertag you either annoy a lot of people or you need to think of a good name in the first place.

Ghost
04-16-2008, 09:20 AM
its not very expensive for crying out loud. i mean how many times do you have to change ur name?

Scott
04-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Just pick a good gamertag the first time around!

And then what if you join a clan and want to put a tag on you're username?

blaze4556
04-16-2008, 04:46 PM

if you joined a real life clan called the angels, you wouldnt really change your name to angel scott would you?

jakncoke
04-16-2008, 05:01 PM
800 pts.... lol rapage continues, aren't they charging like 50 and 100 for avatars as well?

Jjjet1
04-16-2008, 09:47 PM
800 pts.... lol rapage continues, aren't they charging like 50 and 100 for avatars as well?

they charge money for the pictures that you might want as an avy. but they don't charge anything to change your avy.

IceCold
04-17-2008, 03:54 AM

They should do like Rainbow Six: Black arrow and have it by game, for example icecold-k3

MetalMario
04-17-2008, 03:56 AM
The pepole who change their gamertag to match the clan they are in are stupid.

Scott
04-17-2008, 07:56 AM
The pepole who change their gamertag to match the clan they are in are stupid.

That's typically what clans do buddy... It's kind of like a sports team all wearing the same Jersey, you know?. They are stupid too I agree