PDA

View Full Version : Commuter Saves Man on Subway Tracks

Twigz
01-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Trying to rescue a teenager from a subway track as a train roared in, Wesley Autrey faced a harrowing choice: Try to pull the young man to the platform, or push him down and hope to find a safe harbor between the rails.
"I tried to pull him up, but I had to make a split decision whether or not to struggle and maybe end up getting us both killed," Autrey said later. "So I just chose to dive on top of him and pin him down."

It worked. The train passed over them, saving the 19-year-old who had fallen, police said. A relative identified him as Cameron Hollopeter, a student at the New York Film Academy.

Hollopeter's stepmother, Rachel Hollopeter, said Autrey was "an angel."

"He was so heroic," she said early Wednesday in a telephone interview. "If he wasn't there, this would be a whole different call."

The teenager had a medical problem Tuesday and tumbled onto the tracks at a station in northern Manhattan, police said.
Autrey, waiting with his two young daughters, jumped down and rolled with the young man into the trough between the rails as a southbound train came into the station.

The drainage trough is typically about 12 inches deep but can be as shallow as 8 or as deep as 24, a New York City Transit spokesman said.

The train's operator put the emergency brakes on. Before the train stopped, two cars passed over the men - with about 2 inches to spare, Autrey said.

Neither man was hit, police said. Authorities said the rescued man was in stable condition later Tuesday at a local hospital.

Autrey, 50, declined medical attention. Onlookers cheered him, hugged him and called him a hero.

"I don't feel like I did something spectacular; I just saw someone who needed help," he told The New York Times. "I did what I felt was right."

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/commuter-saves-man-on-subway-tracks/20070103091809990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

souljaa
01-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Wow...That's a true Hero right there ;)

LiNuX
01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
lol thats a great story, go guy lol, that shows courage

Twigz
01-04-2007, 04:26 PM
Add this on for size...the city gave him a day off from his job, and the college that the 19-year-old goes to is giving his daughters full scholarships when they get older...plus $5,000 and numerous TV appearances, including "The Late Show with David Letterman" on January 4...

souljaa
01-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Lol...A day off from his job..Haha..

LiNuX
01-04-2007, 08:13 PM
i would have watched that if i didnt just come back from work lol, and i have school tomorrow

TheKing
01-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Oh yeah i like to give thanks to that man for his courage because what he done not alot of new yorkers would have done. So congrats on a job well done. You save another man life. That was somebody son, sister or brother and im sure they are so thankful that he is alive.

LiNuX
01-06-2007, 10:14 PM
*TOPIC MOVED TO SERIOUS NEWS SECTION*

topic moved cuz it actually fits the news section, and i know what u mean theking, his children will get to go to any college for free, paid by the state, and he gets to ride the subway for a whole year for free, he should have gotten free rides for life, but the MTA is greedy lol

Drake14
01-07-2007, 09:18 AM
He got 1 day off from his job?

I would have given him a weeks paid vacation ;D

souljaa
01-07-2007, 11:03 AM
He got 1 day off from his job?

I would have given him a weeks paid vacation ;D

Lol..Seriously..:P

diablo
01-08-2007, 12:23 PM
lol, well that was brave, i know if that guy he saved was me, i would almost worship him lol, well he did a great thing :)