PDA

View Full Version : N.K. Game Review...Fire Emblem (GBA)

Nerdy Knight
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
The day my next review is due is tomorrow, but what the heck. I'll just do it right now. I've had this game for years now, and I've gotten back into it again. I hope you enjoy my review of:

Fire Emblem

http://www.freewebs.com/rpgemblemfe/fe%20box%20art.jpg

In Fire Emblem, you play the role of a tactician who is found unconscious in the plains by a girl named Lyn. After learning the story of her dead parents and tribe, she decides that she must avenge her loved ones, and defeat the bandits without mercy. On her way, she meets up with two knights by the names of Kent and Sain who reveal that her mother was the daughter of the Caelin marquess, Hausen. Apparently, her granduncle Lundgren wishes to seize the throne by poisoning the marquess and killing Lyn so that he will be the next to take the throne. After recruiting the help of many companions on her way, she defeats Lundgren and manages to save her grandfather before the poison ravages his body.
1 year later, Eliwood, son of marquess Pherae, goes on a journey to find his lost father, Lord Elbert. He has been gone on his quest for far too long, and Eliwood decides to go out and find him. Before he sets out, he meets you, the tactician, and sets out. Later, you get involved with the Black Fang, and group hell-bent on killing Eliwood, and obtaining their ultimate goal...
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Storyline/Plot...8/10
The story of Fire Emblem is very intriguing, with several plot twists and interesting character development. This twisting tale of swords and dragons is great to get hooked on, and is simple enough to understand, which is nice in a game like this.

Graphics...8.5/10
This game has excellent sprite animations, along with character portraits during the cut-scenes. The game's artwork that they put in several of the cut-scenes are very well done with an interesting style. The amount of sprites in this game are amazing, and retain the Fire Emblem style perfectly. Here's a few pretty little screenshots:

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2003/gba/fireemblem/fire_screen011.jpg

http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2003/gba/fireemblem/fire_screen018.jpg

http://www.somebits.com/~nelson/weblog-files/centerimages/fireEmblem2.png
(That may look wrong, but he's actually just blinking when the screenshot was took. lol)

Gameplay...10/10
This game has THE best strategy RPG gaming to date. So many things go into account when in a battle, it's great! There's the terrain, the weapons, the units, the classes...everything affects the way you fight your opponent. You move your units on a grid, and move them to your enemies to attack. Once you select 'Attack', you are shown a slightly more detailed fighting scene of your character combating your enemy. If you unit is more advantageous over your opponent, you will deal the better half of the damage. There are different goals for every chapter, such as defending a special unit, or simply wiping out every enemy on the grid. Defeating an opponent is satisfying, and the games "No Return" way of losing a unit makes the game exciting and thrilling. The maps are well laid out, and the huge variety of units will keep you playing with satisfying results.

Overall...26.5/30
Thank God that this great and amazing game was finally released to the American public in the form of this game. It is arguably the best RPG strategy game I've ever played. You cannot go wrong with this game! Thanks for reading my review.

Iceskater101
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Hey i love your reviews. Some how i have never heard this game before and because of you I bought it on ebay I cant wait to get it!

Nerdy Knight
04-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Thanks! Glad I could help! You're gonna love it, I'm sure!

Iceskater101
04-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Thanks! Glad I could help! You're gonna love it, I'm sure!

Still waiting. ugh I cant wait to get it. It sounds fun.

Nerdy Knight
04-30-2008, 04:08 PM
I know what that's like...I kinda forgot to mention exactly how the battling works. I'll put that in the review right now.

Samus-Fan
04-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Good review! I would get this game now if I wasn't saving for EarthBound (100$ on eBay :O)

Nerdy Knight
04-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Good review! I would get this game now if I wasn't saving for EarthBound (100$ on eBay :O)

You're joking me...100$ for Earthbound? I'm sorry, but I don't care how great or awesome a game is. A game is NOT worth 100$!

Iceskater101
04-30-2008, 09:13 PM
You're joking me...100$ for Earthbound? I'm sorry, but I don't care how great or awesome a game is. A game is NOT worth 100$!

EarthBound? never heard of it. is it new?

Nerdy Knight
05-01-2008, 01:55 PM
EarthBound? never heard of it. is it new?

Oh no. It's a SNES game that's at least...what...10 years old? It was a cult classic for it's awesome RPG battles and stereotypical humor. Great game.