PDA

View Full Version : Runescape is Good For You

GF Eric
04-30-2008, 08:01 AM
A study by Brunel University claims that playing RuneScape can be beneficial to players. The study concluded that the nature of games like RuneScape can teach teenagers vital skills that they will need as they enter the labour market, including working hard to achieve goals.

Link (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4774534.stm)

Blackleo
04-30-2008, 08:58 AM
I believe that is essential to any MMORPG, remember you are not just playing a game you are commanding one. Specially when you are in a guild you acquired leadership skills, group skills, trading skills, and your thoughts are transmitted to other players to tag along with you. The rough part if leading your guild to success that is when you will know how well your leadership skills are. :twitcy:

Jjjet1
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
well i've been playing rs for uhh... five or six years. i do not know of any skills that i have gained from it. other than doing simple math quickly that is.

Toby83
04-30-2008, 11:40 AM
lol wat is runscape.. i mean i've heard of it.

GF Eric
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
Follow this link to read about Runescape and what it is.

Link (http://www.gamers-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6362)

Samus-Fan
04-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Intresting. I have to agree though. I mean, you can be a leader of a Guild/clan. You can learn to achieve goals. You can...uh...learn to chop a tree while using a bot to fish?

LemonRising
04-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Seriously?

I'm sure you learn.. something, but.. I'm also quite sure you'd learn more from doing something.. substantial? Likeschool?

haha idk it just seems odd to me that there would be studies done on this subject XD

GF Eric
05-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Well the main point they are getting at is that players learn to do hard work to get what they want. Like me and my Yew cutting, its boring but I am setting a goal and learning that lesson. Well not really cause i already know it. But people who just start. It also helps your typing skills and Math.

Flab-Ender
05-01-2008, 03:29 PM
I guess but it's not as good as going out and actually achieving a goal or being an actual leader.

GF Eric
05-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Think about it mostly young kids and teens play this game. Soon as adult hood comes along they will know that they have to work hard for a job they really want like having to work hard in college or at a job.

LemonRising
05-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes.. but I think it's a little more practical to.. sayy.. save up for something irl with irl money, and learn that you have to earn it.

like "YO MAN I SAVED UP ALL MY MONEY TO GET THIS RAD _____. DAMN ITS HARD YO. IM SURE GLAD I LEARNED THAT IRL LESSON."

pardon caps.
but you get the point? 8D

GF Eric
05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
I see your point. But still Runescape and any other like it help you develop skills.

Samus-Fan
05-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Yea, even if it is fake money, it teaches you to save up. That way you learn not to buy items with the money saved, or what I called:

Spend Some, Save None.
Spend None, Same Some

Jjjet1
05-08-2008, 10:57 AM
sorry to bump up an old post... but this game is not good for you. there was atleast one time where a boy killed himself over this game. he killed himself partly because of real life struggles but also that his friends scammed him out of everything and stole everything he had. sad i know, it was just a game but it was his life. it's not healthy to get too into a game.

also when playing this game you lose track of time so you could potentially be late for a date an appointment etc. this has happened to me multiple times. i was supposed to pick up my girlfriend but i was an hour late because this game had consumed my track of time.

also when you put all of your time and effort into this game. or any other game for that matter. you don't care about anything or anyone else. like if you're playing your game you could be so into it you coudl be asked to spend tiem with your family. but you don't want to because you're too consumed into your game.

your grades could also be affected by this. this game might be fun and all... for now but you might just push aside your school work just to play this game (which i decided to do for two years and it's hurting now)

but what i guess is just play in moderation. you don't need to play every chance you get. just play maybe ever other day. just as long as you have time to spend time with other people and things.

LiNuX
05-08-2008, 11:01 AM
sorry to bump up an old post... but this game is not good for you. there was atleast one time where a boy killed himself over this game. he killed himself partly because of real life struggles but also that his friends scammed him out of everything and stole everything he had. sad i know, it was just a game but it was his life. it's not healthy to get too into a game.

also when playing this game you lose track of time so you could potentially be late for a date an appointment etc. this has happened to me multiple times. i was supposed to pick up my girlfriend but i was an hour late because this game had consumed my track of time.

also when you put all of your time and effort into this game. or any other game for that matter. you don't care about anything or anyone else. like if you're playing your game you could be so into it you coudl be asked to spend tiem with your family. but you don't want to because you're too consumed into your game.

your grades could also be affected by this. this game might be fun and all... for now but you might just push aside your school work just to play this game (which i decided to do for two years and it's hurting now)

but what i guess is just play in moderation. you don't need to play every chance you get. just play maybe ever other day. just as long as you have time to spend time with other people and things.

about the lateness - i know what you are talking about - not really for Runescape but i used to play other MMORPGs and I lost track of time, i was constantly late for school lol - but oddly enough, it didn't affect my grades one bit - still remained an A+ Student - i just had a good first period teacher i guess

and wow @ the guy that killed himself over this - just sad and unworthy

Jjjet1
05-09-2008, 10:40 AM
yeah i know. there are people out there whose lives revolve around a game and they'll do the worst to themselves if something bad happens i guess.