PDA

View Full Version : Eight Belles Put down

conman1000
05-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I don't know how many of you watched the Kentucky Derby, but the horse that came in second, a filly, collapsed after the race, she broke both of her right ankles, and they had to put her down. :-(

Edit: The story.
ESPN - Runner-up Eight Belles breaks front ankles, euthanized on track - Horse Racing (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/triplecrown08/news/story?id=3380100)

jakncoke
05-03-2008, 05:46 PM
this belong in sports.. and that sucks.

LiNuX
05-03-2008, 06:12 PM
by put her down you mean put her to sleep forever?

sux...i haven't been much of a horse racing fan to watch these things

conman1000
05-03-2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah they did. Forever.

Iceskater101
05-03-2008, 07:16 PM
I cant watch horse race for those several reasons. I think its cruel about what they do to those horses in training. Have you seen the movie Dreamer? where that horse won those races and he was going to be put down. I love horses and I think its cruel but thats my opinion.

Samus-Fan
05-03-2008, 11:05 PM
I know, I heard about it.

The horse broke both ankles during the race, came in second, but had to put her to sleep.

But if you think about it, it IS for the best. Isn't it true that horses can't live unless they can stand? And it was both front ones, so she couldn't put any pressure on them.

rukisuto
05-04-2008, 08:50 AM
That's why I can't stand horse racing.
If it can't race, it's dead.

They could have just healed her and let her go.
There's certain stretchers that keep horses elevated so she wouldn't have to put pressure on her front feet.

But what's it worth to them if she can't race?

Samus-Fan
05-04-2008, 08:57 AM
That's why I can't stand horse racing.
If it can't race, it's dead.

They could have just healed her and let her go.
There's certain stretchers that keep horses elevated so she wouldn't have to put pressure on her front feet.

But what's it worth to them if she can't race?

No, its not that she can't race for why they put her to sleep.

Its cause the horse is a girl, not a boy.

conman1000
05-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Well for whatever reason, everyone was saying there was no possible way to save her. So I would have just put her out of her misery like they did.