PDA

View Full Version : N.K. Game Review...Resident Evil: Deadly Silence (DS)

Nerdy Knight
05-03-2008, 11:49 PM
My next game review is due, so I suppose it's time to get my reviewing on. This week, I'll be reviewing the DS port of one of the best games on the original Playstation:

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/bigboxshots/4/929584_71191_front.jpg

The story begins as the Raccoon City S.T.A.R.S. special police force receives a cry of help from their Bravo Team. Bravo Team was sent to investigate a group of grizzly murders that occurred in the Arklay Mountains. The victims were eaten by a group of about ten people. In response to their ply for help, Alpha Team goes in to see whats wrong. Once they reach the mountains, they are attacked by a monster, their chopper leaving them behind in panic. One of the team members already killed, the others ran to try and escape the monster. They fled to a seemingly abandoned mansion, where they thought it was safe, yet...

Plot/Storyline...8.5/10
Around the time this game was made, there weren't very many games with story-lines like this one. The development of the Tyrant Virus and character relationships are quite a fresh burst of wind in terms of plot development. Even though the character relationships may be interesting, the voice acting makes it so laughable that the relationships are hardly noticeable. However, it is enjoyable and will make you want to hear more.

Graphics...9.5/10
The graphics in this game are quite excellent, considering that they ported it from the PS1 and put it on the DS, a unit which has a small amount of boasting power in terms of graphics. It is the exact recreation of the original, and more. It plays just as smooth as the original, and several things have been changed. For example, the zombies and zombie dogs have been changed to make them look more...zombish. Everything is the same, but that doesn't make it any less satisfying. Here's some screenshots:

http://images.eurogamer.net/assets/articles/a/6/3/0/8/1/a_med_2.jpg

http://gbamedia.gamespy.com/gba/image/article/687/687803/resident-evil-deadly-silence-20060210103625903.jpg

http://www.scubb.com/images/prd_detailed/DS%20resident%20evil%20deadle%20silence_ss1.jpg

Gameplay...7.5/10
Resident Evil games are famous for they're fixed cameras, making it difficult to determine what may be lurking around the corner, but that's just it. The controls are also not based on the position of the camera, which means if you are pressing down on the D-pad, your character will walk backwards no matter what way the camera is shown. The controls are also a little strange for those who haven't played the original, but will become second nature after a while. You can choose between 2 separate control types, but neither are very easy to use. Several new moves are added as well, such as being able to pull out the knife with L instead of having to equip it in your inventory like the original, and do 180 degree turns to escape your enemies quicker. There's even a multi-player game where you try and survive the longest amount of time while fighting a large number of enemies! Fun, hm?

Overall...25.5/30
Without having to say, Resident Evil: Deadly Silence takes the original Resident Evil, cleans it up, and adds quite a few nice trinkets along with it. If you haven't played the original, and you own a DS, this is the perfect opportunity to buy this game. Just bear in mind that it may be a while before you become a zombie-busting prodigy. Old fans will also enjoy this DS port as well, making it a must have for the DS. Don't pass this one up guys. Thanks for reading my review.

Ghost
05-04-2008, 10:19 AM
i really want to get this game because i never played it on the ps1.

Iceskater101
05-04-2008, 12:13 PM
great reviews! I oh and i got that game that you had for your last review and i loved it!

LiNuX
05-04-2008, 01:51 PM
the last RE Game i played on RE: 4 for my PS1 i think, or PS2 - don't remember but it was years ago and i borrowed it from my neighbor

good review here :) doubt i'll be getting it or even playing it

conman1000
05-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Good review. It sounds like a really good game.

Nerdy Chief
05-04-2008, 03:35 PM
Heh im playin it right now cause i borrowed it from you but it was a great reveiw and is a awesome game P.S. thanks for letting me borrow it

Toby83
05-04-2008, 03:59 PM
lol it seems like the only M rated game for DS :laugh:

Iceskater101
05-04-2008, 04:03 PM
haha yeah because all of the nintendo d.s's games are like mario.