PDA

View Full Version : Kid Dies From A....GameBoy.

souljaa
01-05-2007, 10:29 PM
A BOY of seven was electrocuted on holiday while charging up the Game Boy he got for Christmas.

Connor O'Keefe was unplugging the charger in his hotel room in Thailand.

Distraught mum Kathleen Curry, 45, who found his lifeless body on the floor, said: "We're all devastated." Kathleen, who bought the charger in Thailand, said: "My son was only unplugging his Game Boy - he does it all the time at home.

"There should be some kind of warning about the different electrical currents you get abroad because this would not have happened in England."

She said Connor was aware of the dangers of electricity and denied claims he plugged in the charger while still wet from swimming.

Police described Connor's death at the Sunset Beach Hotel in Phuket on Saturday as a tragic accident.

They insisted the complex, rebuilt after the 2004 tsunami disaster, was not to blame.

Yesterday the family, from Walworth, South East London, paid tribute to their "wonderful child".

Connor's cousin and godmother Chanelle said: "We're just devastated. He loved his holidays and computer games were his passion. He was absolutely brilliant at them."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_headline=killed-by-his-xmas-game-boy%26method=full%26objectid=18393890%26siteid=947 62-name_page.html

Drake14
01-05-2007, 10:34 PM
o_O

wow that really sux :/

Glad i dont have a gameboy.

souljaa
01-05-2007, 10:36 PM
o_O

Haha..He shouldn't have unplugged it while he was still wet....But I guess he was 7..so..

Drake14
01-05-2007, 10:39 PM
It says they found his lifeless body on the floor...The parents weren't in the room with him?

Who leaves a 7 year old in a hotel room alone?

souljaa
01-05-2007, 10:42 PM
It says they found his lifeless body on the floor...The parents weren't in the room with him?

Who leaves a 7 year old in a hotel room alone?

True.. :S...Or maybe since he came back from swimming..they were outside and he just came in to unplug his gameboy.

Drake14
01-05-2007, 10:43 PM
True...

Could have just been a freak accident...

Maybe the parents weren't looking or whatever and he unplugged it, they turned around and saw him....i guess only the parents really know.

aosmallan
01-05-2007, 10:58 PM
o_O

Haha..He shouldn't have unplugged it while he was still wet....But I guess he was 7..so..

She denied claims that he was wet, which means someone speculated that the boy could have been wet from the pool, or someone saw the boy entering the room after coming from the pool, no one knows for sure, according to the article at least.

It's sad that he died, but the mother saying that there should be a warning that electrical devices and outlets have different voltages in different countries is a terrible justification. There are voltage measurement and requirements on every AC adapter to a device. It was her job to know whether or not she had the right charger... If you're going abroad it's almost a complete given that voltages and sockets are going to be way different...

Twigz
01-06-2007, 05:51 PM
That's crazy...great parenting on their part, eh? Totally irresponsible...if they have child labor laws in Thailand, they should do something about that...

LiNuX
01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
uh oh, games can kill u now? well that sux :( only north america uses 110 volt i think, asia and europe is all 220 volt, much higher, i was actually shocked once when i was really little, i still remember, i was sitting and i put my finger in the wall socket lol, it was a little zap, but it hurt, i never did it again cuz my parents did yell at me later on when i told them lol

souljaa
01-07-2007, 12:00 AM
uh oh, games can kill u now? well that sux :( only north america uses 110 volt i think, asia and europe is all 220 volt, much higher, i was actually shocked once when i was really little, i still remember, i was sitting and i put my finger in the wall socket lol, it was a little zap, but it hurt, i never did it again cuz my parents did yell at me later on when i told them lol

LOL....Good going ;)

Drake14
01-07-2007, 09:20 AM
haha....real nice Linux XD

Way to almost kill yourself! haha

diablo
01-08-2007, 12:24 PM

lol ur gonna get critisized for that now on the forum lol, do you remember how old you were? lol, but this kid here, wow, ewll he was young too, but that sux, pleasure can kill u i guess

Stephie
01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
That's really a sad story. You would think there would be some kind of saftey feature considering it's a toy

Drake14
01-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Well i'm sure they don't expect it to be plugged into a European outlet. And they should know that American things won't work in European outlets and the parents should have warned the child.

aosmallan
01-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Well i'm sure they don't expect it to be plugged into a European outlet. And they should know that American things won't work in European outlets and the parents should have warned the child.

Eh, it didn't look like the parents knew either, seeing as how the mom was expecting a "warning" about the different voltages. It "would not have happened in England"? Duh. I can say the same thing about the country I'm from...

"Well if I was in the US instead of Lebanon then I wouldn't get electricuted when I try to plug in a US plug into a Lebanese socket."

no way! lol

haha nice. As far as voltages go, US and Canada are both 120V. Most other countries around the world use either 110, 220, or both depending where you are in that country. (And then sometimes you get the offbeat ones like 115V in the Philippines lol) Not only that but even though output is the same... certain countries have different types of sockets.

She wanted a warning?

Well here's are the two types of plugs used in Thailand (the first one is one of the ones we use here in the US):

http://www.kropla.com/images/electrA.jpg
http://www.kropla.com/images/electrC.jpg

Here's the type of plug used in England:

http://www.kropla.com/images/electrG.jpg

Need any more warning that the voltages MIGHT be different?

LiNuX
01-27-2007, 07:37 PM
yea i've seen them all, my dad has this big light that has a plug like ur third one lol, need 2 different types of adapters to plug into the american one, but it works

Eric
01-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Must have been a pretty big shock to kill him, because I have been shocked numerous times doing stupid things with electricity, and haven't died yet ::).

Pretty sad though

LiNuX
01-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Must have been a pretty big shock to kill him, because I have been shocked numerous times doing stupid things with electricity, and haven't died yet ::).

Pretty sad though

key word -- "yet" lol, i know someone that was shocked by batteries lol, all 1.5 volt AA batteries lol, he connected like 500 of them trying to run a motor, batteries didnt last long so he was safe, his hand got a little burned, i laughed after he said he was ok hehe

back to story, it is sad