PDA

View Full Version : Can you play the guitar?

Raw!
05-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, as promised I will be visiting sometimes, just not as much and I'd like to start a thread.

Does anybody play the guitar? If you do, what type do you play? I play currently the Classical, but would like to upgrade to a Acoustic or Electric.

I can play several songs such as "Numb" and "Breaking the Habit," (both songs are by Linkin Park).

May the posting start.

Nerdy Knight
05-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I can play the guitar, and am currently borrowing my niece's electric, but cannot play any real songs. I'm working on it though.

LiNuX
05-10-2008, 05:07 PM
im still an amateur at it but i can do stuff with power chords on my electric guitar - no songs yet mainly because i haven't even practiced enough for that lol - i had to stop when i moved last year and i haven't really practiced after that

im better off sticking with drums :D

glenofimaal
05-10-2008, 06:01 PM
i've never picked up a guitar in my life lol

but i have played the trumpet in 5th and 6th grade lol

Iceskater101
05-10-2008, 07:32 PM
I wish i played the guitar but I dont

Riku-Nara
05-10-2008, 07:59 PM
Bought one a couple of years ago.
Was somewhat good.
Then bought guitar hero, and that sorta took the guitars place.
and that is the definition of irony~!

LemonRising
05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I WISH I could play the guitar D:
My cousin has one, and he was gonna let me buy it, then the brother wanted to play, so he let him use it, and then the brother didn't play anymore and the cousin started playing again.

In the end, no guitar for yetcha D: When I get a job I'll save up though.

Raw!
05-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Guitar's can be expensive these days, especially the guitar I want to buy. Which is the 'Gibson Les Paul'. I heard that it's about over 2,000 $.

Let me warn some people considering to play the guitar: It's a very beautiful instrument, don't get me wrong, but it's definately one of the hardest.

LiNuX
05-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Guitar's can be expensive these days, especially the guitar I want to buy. Which is the 'Gibson Les Paul'. I heard that it's about over 2,000 $.

Let me warn some people considering to play the guitar: It's a very beautiful instrument, don't get me wrong, but it's definately one of the hardest.

no doubt about that - but a full drum set is probably the hardest - people that play guitar have good sense of where their fingers will go next (uh oh) and im better off controlling my entire hand than individual fingers - thats why im better with the drums

LemonRising
05-10-2008, 11:20 PM
The Les Paul is pretty popular so I can see that adding to the price perhaps o:

Haha yeah, I know the guitar's a challenge, but I used to play the piano, so I know how to read music etc etc, so that will probably help in the distant future when I finally get a guitar.

Drums, oh man XD I can't get my hands and feet to act together. My feet are always off. (one of my friends play[ed]. She taught me a .. little and I forget it now. It was a while ago. I don't talk to her anymorelol)

Joshuah
05-11-2008, 04:24 AM
I can play my electric guitar :-) easy :-P

rukisuto
05-11-2008, 07:37 AM
Nah, I don't play.
I really wish I could though.

There's plenty of kids who play guitars in my school, though.

Raw!
05-11-2008, 10:03 AM
The Les Paul is pretty popular so I can see that adding to the price perhaps o:

Haha yeah, I know the guitar's a challenge, but I used to play the piano, so I know how to read music etc etc, so that will probably help in the distant future when I finally get a guitar.

Drums, oh man XD I can't get my hands and feet to act together. My feet are always off. (one of my friends play[ed]. She taught me a .. little and I forget it now. It was a while ago. I don't talk to her anymorelol)

Reading music is only one part of it though. People that play guitar also need good eye to hand coordination, and like LiNuX said, they need to know where their fingers go next.

LiNuX
05-11-2008, 10:06 AM
Reading music is only one part of it though. People that play guitar also need good eye to hand coordination, and like LiNuX said, they need to know where their fingers go next.

speaking of writing music - i used to write drum beats back in the day figuring out which solo would work - and i can read and write music now, but a lot of the knowledge is gone because i haven't played the piano for years - i know where most of the notes are, just cant play them lol - but i used piano to write music notes for practice

lost all of the interest when i went to high school, and i had less time

El3mentGamer
05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
i can play air guitar... lol

EpsilonX
05-12-2008, 02:17 PM
I play Electric guitar fairly well. My old band's drummer almost had an orgasm the first time he saw me play (I played Master of Puppets, part of Eruption, Crazy Train, and then a random shreding solo)

LemonRising
05-12-2008, 02:52 PM
i can play air guitar... lol

this is probably the best reply. hahaa

and yeah, hand eye coordination works with almost everything XD; I used to be really bad but I've gotten better with practice. Doesn't help that I have only a small bit of depth perception.

Kain [IRL]
05-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh man, I love guitar! I play my Ibanez electric everyday :D I love it!
Check out these guys:
- Michael Romeo
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- John Petrucci

:D

Riku-Nara
05-12-2008, 04:02 PM
My old band's drummer almost had an orgasm the first time he saw me play (I played Master of Puppets)

Then i can't blame him.

EpsilonX
05-15-2008, 03:24 PM
Then i can't blame him.

The only hard part of that song is the solo...and just the beginning of it. It's a big stretch, and you have to hit it really fast.

Metallica1983
09-20-2008, 10:00 PM
does guitar "hero" count lol cuz i can play that very well i used to have my bro's electric guitar but idk were it is

Yuuki
09-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Lol I know how to play it.
...Sorta.

We have a class for it on Mondays at school. So yeah.

Nemesister
12-05-2008, 07:39 PM
I play the guitar and the bass... just rythm though... nothin' fancy ^_^

Yuuki
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Lol I have a guitar class once every Monday. xD
But I fail at it. ^^

LiNuX
12-06-2008, 11:28 AM
i haven't played my guitar in over a year (not since i moved) but I plan on going back to it over my winter break which starts in just over a week :D

I was thinking of buying a keyboard and learning that...but meh...might as well get better on the guitar and get towards the same level as the drums before I pick up another instrument

KittyCat72
12-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I can't play guitar... but my older brother is getting pretty good at it. He can play several acoustic and electric songs. He'll take the guitar everywhere too. At first it was ok, but it gets annoying listening to it in the car and stuff all the time. :-P I wish he would start playing his bass more again.

Henchy
12-06-2008, 01:28 PM
no just guitar hero!

Headless Legless Sheep
01-13-2009, 03:33 PM
I used to play guitar in a band about 5 years ago. Punk rock, hardcore, stuff like that you know, but then everything got messed up.

I have played guitar for about 7 years and Im becoming kinda good for it, i just started with classical songs and finally Im learning to read partitures (because i didnt know).

crikey26
01-19-2009, 05:49 PM
I can play (not very good though)

Juicyz
01-19-2009, 09:54 PM
I play guitar Yay! me and piano. My parents made me learn piano, worst thing ever and I had the worst teacher ever people called him chicken little. But I play mostly classical music on now my guitar, or flamenco

PICKS SUCK

-DJ-
01-20-2009, 08:42 AM
Yes its not my main instrument but it still cool

EpsilonX
05-15-2009, 08:40 PM
i can play it i just have trouble writing stuff, which kinda sucks cuz i'm gonna have 3 months to start writing songs and playing shows =\

i need to write something fast lol

crikey26
09-01-2009, 04:49 AM
Ive been playing guitar 4 bout 8 months now and im pretty good
i can play songs such as Duality(slipknot) or For Whom the Bell Tolls(Metallica)
ive been wanting a new guitar though, im stuck with my ****ty fender

EpsilonX
09-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Ive been playing guitar 4 bout 8 months now and im pretty good
i can play songs such as Duality(slipknot) or For Whom the Bell Tolls(Metallica)
ive been wanting a new guitar though, im stuck with my ****ty fender

learn master of puppets bro its easy

Street_Soldier69
09-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Day that never comes(metallica) is as easy a master of puppets

ViddaXondi
09-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I've always wanted to attempt learning a guitar..Is it easy to self teach?

crikey26
09-11-2009, 09:22 PM
I've always wanted to attempt learning a guitar..Is it easy to self teach?

Its pretty easy to self teach, i did it but i didnt learn any chords or stuff like that, just songs 4 me

Knibbler
09-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I've been looking to learn the guitar, having 2 electric and 1 acoustic sitting around the house.. I just haven't had the time to dedicate to practising.
Though I'm a fan I wouldn't want to learn metal guitar.. I prefer the pureness of country acoustic. Personal preference.

LemonRising
09-14-2009, 02:39 PM
My boyfriend is going to start teaching me <:

Hapee

EpsilonX
09-14-2009, 10:39 PM
Honestly guys if you self teach, please don't do it by looking up tabs, do it by buying a book and learning music theory on the guitar. You'll get your own personal style and be able to play a lot better than if you just emulate what others do

GrandMoff
09-14-2009, 10:50 PM
I can play the guitar on Rockband/Guitar Hero on the difficulty "HARD." Other than that, no.

RaiDae
09-15-2009, 11:52 AM
I can play "ya cannie shove yer granny off a bus" and nothing else.

Still, it's the best party song ever

Diligence109
01-07-2010, 03:43 PM
I've been trying to pick up guitar, I really want to get formal lessons/instruction sometime later (maybe this next summer?)

I'm a music major so I spend more time on my primary instrument, oboe, and dabble with guitar, bass, keyboard, EWI (look it up, it's my favorite :D ), and countless other simple wind instruments.

My major has a concentration on Recording Technology so if anyone wants to talk passing tracks back and forth just for fun I will be your bff :3

jango
01-08-2010, 04:00 PM
The way I learnt was by buying a book of songs by someone I knew well (in my case the Beatles) and learning the chords. It's painless when you first start if you begin with something you enjoy and know well, and tends to be easier to pick up.

Personally I've never had a lesson in my life, and have now been playing for 22 years or so. I'm entirely self-taught, and would hazard to say that I actually prefer being that way because some people who I've heard that have received 'too much' teaching sound devoid of any soul or character in how they play. Just my 2 pennies worth :)

Kenoi
01-11-2010, 09:13 AM
I can play like 2 beginner songs...(but they're in a foreign language) I just started playing since thanksgiving of last year....
so its been a month of playing. I hope to get better at guitar this year.

Diligence109
01-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Personally I've never had a lesson in my life, and have now been playing for 22 years or so. I'm entirely self-taught, and would hazard to say that I actually prefer being that way because some people who I've heard that have received 'too much' teaching sound devoid of any soul or character in how they play. Just my 2 pennies worth :)

being in a school of music is an easy place to have your soul sucked out, I hear ya ;) I must repeat the wisdom you wrote here to myself every week to make sure I don't lose that spark that made me fall in love with music in the first place!

Your 2 pennies are worth something here, no doubt ;) It's nice to get a little reminder that I should avoid becoming pretentious about the art

FFQueen92
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
I used to play acoustic though I switched to the violin when I was 11, I imagine if I'd stuck with guitar I'd be pretty good by now.

I'm currently learning to play bass, and it's something that I find quite easy to learn. I'm only really learning other people's songs to get used to the instrument and to build some skill. I'm hoping I can get my boyfriend to help me develop my own style since he plays electric/bass/piano and writes his own music T_T

vepanator
06-15-2010, 09:06 AM
I have an accoustic guitar, and i know all the basics of chords, tabs and etc. Even through, I'm not that good playing it, I find it hard to go from one chord to another quickly enough : D

This guitar is 5-6 years old, with nailon strings, Gewa Classica. I luv it.

DreamsideDominion
06-18-2010, 11:54 AM
played death metal in High School, still play a little metal here and there but I have mellowed it out a little.

EpsilonX
06-18-2010, 10:44 PM
lol I can play songs and stuff, i have the technical skills, but i suck at music theory and writing stuff.

DreamsideDominion
06-20-2010, 12:58 AM
man if you play metal thats really all you need, and learn your panatonic minor scale.

Jokersvirus
06-20-2010, 01:24 AM
I use to play but i stopped because of school and I let my friend sell it because he was about to lose his car and he was short about 50 bucks.

I want to learn again and play some wonderwall and iris :)

EpsilonX
06-20-2010, 01:07 PM
man if you play metal thats really all you need, and learn your panatonic minor scale.

not the kind of metal I listen to lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjoXKmO16I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ih3JVrRPE

musician's metal, if you will lol

DreamsideDominion
06-20-2010, 08:45 PM
not the kind of metal I listen to lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnjoXKmO16I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ih3JVrRPE

musician's metal, if you will lol

yea....thats really not the most talented metal out there. And most all rock music is based on the panatonic scale. I play technical death metal, and know alot of music theory. There is no need to get into advanced music theory for metal. As long as you know what key of music your rythem guitar is in its easy as hell to play a lead over it. If you know what your doing. The best thing to do would be to do learn your scales and play ALOT! of speed exercises. Look into the band necrophagist. There guitarist is great.

DreamsideDominion
06-20-2010, 08:48 PM
and learn your notes on the guitar neck. and beable to move inbetween keys, thats the only way you will beable to harmonize music. If you plan to write your own and not play covers for the rest of your life.

EpsilonX
06-20-2010, 08:52 PM
Dude, i've played guitar for years, and i've listened to necrophagist many times before. When I listen to them, I hear a pretty generic rhythm section with technical wankery over it. I'd rather be able to make complex compositions and stuff than just basic metal. I'd rather be able to play all sorts of different styles of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRbLaNqsxhM

DreamsideDominion
06-20-2010, 09:05 PM
lol I can play songs and stuff, i have the technical skills, but i suck at music theory and writing stuff.

There really is nothing generic about there rythem guitaring. There quite complex. If you have been playing for years and still cant write your own music then your definitely doing something wrong. I know because I was in the same rut some years back. I did the same, just playing covers. Wich is good to get your speed up. But its not going to do anything with your song writing. Start learning your basic theory.

EpsilonX
06-20-2010, 09:07 PM
I know theory. I just suck at coming up with my own melody and stuff, every time I do i eventually realise it sounds just like some other band.

and necrophagist have pretty basic rhythm. Meshuggah (what i'm listening to right now) have complex rhythms.

besides, I like obscura more than necrophagist

edit: yep, i just put necrophagist on and i hear a lot of blast beats with some fills inbetween.

DreamsideDominion
06-20-2010, 09:13 PM
meshuggah is pretty good, but the 7 string guitar thing with a dropped tunning is getting on my nerves. Necrophagist is composed like jazz music. Wich in some ways its more complex than Tech metal. And if you want some real composing talent listen to some frank zappa. Do you have any videos of you playing up on you tube?

also how far along are you with your theory?

EpsilonX
06-20-2010, 09:24 PM
1. don't double post. edit your last post.
2. necrophagist bore me. and Meshuggah use 8 string guitars lol. I never said they're that technical, but they're complex rhythmically.
3. i know the basics. I just can't compose worth crap.
4. no because i hate when people put covers on youtube, so i'm not gonna sit around and put up covers.

DreamsideDominion
06-20-2010, 09:54 PM
No they use 7 lol, I use to play meshuggah on guitar religiously, wich is probaly why im sick of them.

EpsilonX
06-20-2010, 09:57 PM
when catch 33 came out they switched to 8 string. Then they re-recorded Nothing using an 8 string.

http://www.guitarmessenger.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/Fredrik-Thorendal.jpg

DreamsideDominion
06-21-2010, 12:36 AM
they must of went back to 7 string, I think there last album was all 7 string. Either way hes a bad ass guitarist. I own an ibenez universe, i love that guitar

EpsilonX
06-21-2010, 12:45 AM
idk, live and on this guitar demonstration they're using 8 strings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd6z39PbIRw&feature=related

RaverSiell
07-13-2010, 11:40 AM
i bought a guitar and i'm a bit horrible at it..

do you think i could make it? is playing the guitar achievable by anyone? coz i've spent quite a huge amount of time on it and im still nowhere :(

EpsilonX
07-13-2010, 12:05 PM
Define "huge amount of time"

it takes patience, it doesn't come overnight. I've been playing like 6 years and i'm still not all that great. I can play other people's stuff but i'm nowhere near the level I want to be at. Famous guitarists and stuff, like John Petrucci, practiced like 5 hours a day for years, and went to college for music.

I don't wanna discourage you or anything though. A good way to learn would be to learn all the notes on the guitar, and learn all the chord shapes for all of the basic major and minor chords. Yea, that's a good startin place.

RaverSiell
07-13-2010, 09:03 PM
err, yeah, so my time spent on it isn't really the same as yours.

and no, you didn't discourage, rather challenged me to do more. I guess I'll give it a more push then. I have memorized the chords, but I have trouble strumming it.

Thrash3r
07-14-2010, 12:40 AM
I play Drums and Guitar my guitar is a Dean Explorer beatiful guitar until it broke then i got a Stratocaster I play Thrash,Speed,And more type the video below is my fave song and i can play it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjlgUx7_aN0&feature=player_embedded

Endgameko
07-14-2010, 04:23 PM
I can play the air guitar as a beast, the guitar well crappy,.... but fi you give me a song I shall learn it as A CHALLENGE aaaa but I am a saxophone person

EpsilonX
07-14-2010, 04:31 PM
I play Drums and Guitar my guitar is a Dean Explorer beatiful guitar until it broke then i got a Stratocaster I play Thrash,Speed,And more type the video below is my fave song and i can play it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjlgUx7_aN0&feature=player_embedded

can you play the solo too? if so, nice.

Thrash3r
07-16-2010, 11:29 PM
yea the begining beatifuly and then it kinda falls apart im practicin but i can play other solos like Enter sandman and the Four Horsemen

EpsilonX
07-17-2010, 09:19 AM
The solo to Master of Puppets is really easy, and the solo to One is rather easy too. But I suck at learning solos from tabs. I'd rather learn to write my own stuff than learn everyone else's solos though.

Ilyich Valken
07-17-2010, 09:49 AM
i bought a guitar and i'm a bit horrible at it..

do you think i could make it? is playing the guitar achievable by anyone? coz i've spent quite a huge amount of time on it and im still nowhere :(

I've been playing for a year now and still don't know a lot of stuff. I need to start going through more lessons instead of trying to play songs. lol

The solo to Master of Puppets is really easy, and the solo to One is rather easy too. But I suck at learning solos from tabs. I'd rather learn to write my own stuff than learn everyone else's solos though.
Only part of One I can't play at the moment is the solo, sadly.

EpsilonX
07-17-2010, 11:34 AM
can you do the rhythm behind it? we should get together and jam sometime lol

btw, thrash3r, you should learn this solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX-9d6G9mOs

Ilyich Valken
07-17-2010, 11:37 AM
More than likely, yeah. I keep getting told that by a lot of people lol.

Blackbird
07-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I'm still practice here so I'm doing finger stretching xD

Thrash3r
07-17-2010, 06:34 PM
can you do the rhythm behind it? we should get together and jam sometime lol

btw, thrash3r, you should learn this solo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eX-9d6G9mOs

i would if i could but i cant but its cool reminds me of megadeth 4 some reason

glenofimaal
07-29-2010, 04:19 PM
I can play eruption :)

JK..... i can play guitar, but i'm not good enough to play eruption ;)

EpsilonX
07-30-2010, 08:27 PM
lol, Eruption was just EVH warming up before recording, the manager made him put it on the album.

glenofimaal
07-30-2010, 09:42 PM
lol, Eruption was just EVH warming up before recording, the manager made him put it on the album.

Still epic :-)

EpsilonX
07-31-2010, 10:02 AM
learn this lmao

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdyHs_IX1I

Xyth
08-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Yup,I Play the guitar,i'm new to it,I Started playing it few months ago,i'm not used to it yet and i can only play 1 chord at a time then transfer to the other chord slowly .__. I'm trying to practice and improve :D

Ilyich Valken
08-28-2010, 11:10 AM
Yup,I Play the guitar,i'm new to it,I Started playing it few months ago,i'm not used to it yet and i can only play 1 chord at a time then transfer to the other chord slowly .__. I'm trying to practice and improve :D
Just play a little each day and you'll see improvement lol It's better to play a short amount each day than to have a long practice session every once in a while.