PDA

View Full Version : Sly 2: Band of Theives

blaze4556
05-19-2008, 11:52 AM
Today im reviewing Sly 2 on the PS2.

http://www.gametab.com/images/ss/ps2/2521/box-l.jpg

In Sly 2, you play as a thief (Sly) a tech geek (Bently) and a macho hippo (Murray). The game's world is kinda like our own sept all the peeps are animals, Sly is a racoon, bently's a turtle, and murray is a hippo. The story is that Sly goes to a meusium in Cairo, egypt to destroy clockwork parts, these are evil parts from a boss you have to kill in Sly 1 (never really played the first game). It turns out that the parts have been stolen by the "Klaww gang" and they are using them to benefit there odd needs.

Along the way you'll visit lots of places, from the urban nightlife to canada! Since you get to play as 3 characters, they all have differant skills. Sly is good at silently taking out enemies while stealing anything valuable and he can get to roofs of builing easely and run across ropes between them. Bently has gadgets with his handy crossbow, he has sleeping darts, countdown bombs and many others. Murray is like the one man army, he can take down loads of enemys far easier then any other character.

http://cache.g4tv.com/images/ttv/graphics/xplay/3693101.jpg

The main thing that bugs me is that most of the enemys are the same and in the location that your at, you'll probably only see less then 5 differant enemy types, there will be lots of them but looking at the same enemy for a while can get repetitive. The fun thing is, when you completed a episode. you'll be at a totaly differant map, so when you have completed the first lvl in the city, the second one will be in another city but much like india. It's a real shame that the time of day never changes.

http://gamescreenshots.gamesurf.tiscali.it/gallery/data/1115/medium/6sly_2_9.jpg

In the game you have to find the clockwork parts from members of the Klaww gang. The clockwork parts are a huge mechanic bird but in pieces. When you start an episode, the first thing you have to do is gather recon. You go to a gang memmbers hide out and then you take pictures of them and you find out what there using the parts for. In the first episode, when you gather recon, you discover that a nightclub owner is using the clockworks tail feathers to counterfeit money.The missions are all small parts of a big heist, once you've finished doing recon, Bently will show a cut scene of slides displaying what you have to do in order to be able to pull of the hiest for the clockwork part that you have to get for that episode (an episode is a level).

The games fighting mechanics are pretty straight forward, if you hit some buttons you'll end up doing a combo. One of them hits your enemies into the air then smacks them back down again. Another cool feature is the ability to pickpockit, if a gaurd or boss has an item of value or just money then there pockits will glow which signals that there loaded :D

http://www.suckerpunch.com/water.php/community/downloads/Episodes/o_bar_brawl_11.jpg

In the game you have a hideout where you can sell your items and buy cool upgrades, one of them lets you have a parachute and another slows down time but theres many more. The funny thing is that each episode has a differant feel, i love the snowy episodes because there huge and the missions are great. In one of them, a Klaww member has a clockwork part that hes giving to the winner of a lumberjack contest, this of course means beating him which is impossible without the propper gear so you have to do a bunch of pretty fun missions trying to get yourself all the equipment you need to win...eventualy that isnt enough, you then have to knock out the judges and impersinate them lol.

Story-7.8
Gameplay-8.5
Graphics-8.9

Overall-8.6

jakncoke
05-19-2008, 12:31 PM
another franchise that I missed from PS2 days.

LiNuX
05-19-2008, 03:26 PM
i remember playing this game and i liked it a lot, played the first one too - pretty good game and good review :)

i never had the game though, don't have to have it if you have a bunch of friends that buy everything lol, i still have a dozen or two PS2 games but none reviewed recently

blaze4556
05-19-2008, 04:08 PM
another franchise that I missed from PS2 days.

if in doubt, buy a ps2 game :yes: thats what i do when theres a delay in good xbox 360 games

i remember playing this game and i liked it a lot, played the first one too - pretty good game and good review :)

i never had the game though, don't have to have it if you have a bunch of friends that buy everything lol, i still have a dozen or two PS2 games but none reviewed recently

yeah i got it back in the day and i must have completed it like 4 times over the years, hella fun! Sly 3 was awesome as well

LiNuX
05-19-2008, 07:03 PM
never played the third one - played the first two, i still have their demos but i played the full games afterwards

Iceskater101
05-19-2008, 09:47 PM
hey good review