PDA

View Full Version : Shoutbox?

LiNuX
01-10-2007, 08:01 PM
There is a mod that allows me to add a shoutbox on this forum and i want to get the opinions of our members on whether we should get it.

There are certain points you should all look at before voting.

Good Points:
1. The shoutbox can get the users more active and post in the shoutbox and in the forum.
2. Create better conversations without having to wait for posts.
3. Something Extra for the members.

Bad Points:
1. It can actually take away the posting from the boards and put them in the shoutbox.
2. Cause fights and controversies that can escalate.
3. Slower index page load may take place.

If you have any good or bad points to add, tell me here, i will edit the posts and add that in.

Do you think we should add a Shoutbox? Why or Why not?

aosmallan
01-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Shoutbox is what now?

Sounds like some type of voice posting?

souljaa
01-10-2007, 08:57 PM
No, it's just a box where people can like..sort of leave a message and it'll appear instantly...You can like..."chat" on it in a way.

Drake14
01-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Sounds good to me.

Its a good way for forum members to bond with each other better ;D

LiNuX
01-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Shoutbox is what now?

u use irc, its kinda the same with just the forum members able to post, it just takes some conversations out of the boards and put them on a chat window

aosmallan
01-11-2007, 05:23 AM
Shoutbox is what now?

u use irc, its kinda the same with just the forum members able to post, it just takes some conversations out of the boards and put them on a chat window

Is it going to be on the forum site? Or when you click it it will open up irc..

Drake14
01-11-2007, 05:24 AM
Shoutbox is what now?

Is it going to be on the forum site? Or when you click it it will open up irc..

It will be implemented onto the forum.

LiNuX
01-11-2007, 09:30 PM
yea it'll be on the forum, maybe on the bottom part of the index page, its not irc by the way, i was just using how the chat msg window of irc looks as an example because it will look like that, without the users online on the right side, just like a chat room, well if i get enough votes, i'll put it up then u can see for urself :)

crazay
01-12-2007, 12:48 PM
cool, but i do think that it can take away from the posting, but u never know until u try, u should give it a try, and see the results for a week or two, if its great, just let it be, if not, remove it :)

souljaa
01-12-2007, 07:51 PM
cool, but i do think that it can take away from the posting, but u never know until u try, u should give it a try, and see the results for a week or two, if its great, just let it be, if not, remove it :)

Yeah..I say give it a try.

sparky
01-15-2007, 04:37 PM
I am the only one to say No wow

My 3 reasons

Stops people posting
Eats CPU Usuage, the one for ipb 2.2 does anyway
Some shoutboxes can get easily hacked, they find a way of accessing your passwords through it

LiNuX
01-15-2007, 04:39 PM
I am the only one to say No wow

My 3 reasons

Stops people posting
Eats CPU Usuage, the one for ipb 2.2 does anyway
Some shoutboxes can get easily hacked, they find a way of accessing your passwords through it

the first and third of ur reasons is a reason why i didnt set it up yet lol, it is vulnerable but also preventable, i still dont have enough votes for either side

chaoscauser
02-19-2007, 01:58 PM
shoutboxes bad idea mainly because they reduce forum activity

LiNuX
02-19-2007, 07:43 PM
shoutboxes bad idea mainly because they reduce forum activity

i agree -- its actually installed with tinyportal, and its activated lol, but you cant see it, i am hiding it :)

wifi
02-20-2007, 12:56 PM
i didnt know what a shoutbox was until i came here, sounds cool but if it takes away activity just drop it :P

Drake14
02-20-2007, 01:28 PM
Indeed it does take away from posting activity.

So i guess we all agree. so i believe this can be locked now.

If anyone needs this opened PM staff with a link to this topic.

-Locked-