PDA

View Full Version : Is there an RPG like this?

EpsilonX
05-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Pretty much an RPG with a small group of characters (around 7) with a good plot, simple battle/customization system (unlike final fantasy 8) with not many gimmicks thrown in?

Final Fantasy 8 was too complicated battle system wise. Final Fantasy 7 had too unbalanced of a combat system, and the story was sorta anticlimactic.

Also, no level grinding, and it has to have 3D graphics.

Can anybody think of any rpg's that fit this description? The closest I can think of is the Legend of Dragoon. But I wish magic was used better.

I'm hesitant to try out suikoden, chrono cross, or radiata stories because of the large amount of characters. I'd rather have as few characters as possible so I can grow attatched to them.

...any ideas?

Samus-Fan
05-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Does it have to be a MMORPG?

Because EarthBound was amazing! You have a group of 4 and the plot is pretty good, the battle is ok, and you can customize your PSI powers and weapons.

jakncoke
05-23-2008, 07:14 PM

Because EarthBound was amazing! You have a group of 4 and the plot is pretty good, the battle is ok, and you can customize your PSI powers and weapons.

Yeah but to get Earthbound you need to sell your kidneys and such latest prices off of amazon and ebay are...

Amazon=80-250
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000035Y63/ref=dp_olp_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1211587848&sr=8-1

Ebay= No auction ending soon but i'm sure they'll all be around 60 at least before ending
EarthBound (Super Nintendo) (http://catalog.ebay.com/EarthBound_045496830434_W0QQQ5ftrksidZp4295QQ_dmpt ZVideoQ5fGamesQ5fGamesQQ_fclsZ1QQ_fifptsZ1QQ_pidZ4 585QQ_scZ1QQ_sopZ1QQ_tabZ2)

Pretty much an RPG with a small group of characters (around 7) with a good plot, simple battle/customization system (unlike final fantasy 8) with not many gimmicks thrown in?

Final Fantasy 8 was too complicated battle system wise. Final Fantasy 7 had too unbalanced of a combat system, and the story was sorta anticlimactic.

Also, no level grinding, and it has to have 3D graphics.

Can anybody think of any rpg's that fit this description? The closest I can think of is the Legend of Dragoon. But I wish magic was used better.

I'm hesitant to try out suikoden, chrono cross, or radiata stories because of the large amount of characters. I'd rather have as few characters as possible so I can grow attatched to them.

...any ideas?

Dude buy Suikoden...so much win in that game...can't believe I still have a working copy

EpsilonX
05-24-2008, 09:48 AM

lol. it has to NOT be a mmorpg.

and i have a question. If i get a suikoden game it'll be one of the ps2 ones, simply because I dont feel like dishing out $50 for a game i might not like. Anyways, does the large amount of characters get in the way of character development? Is there a main group of characters and stuff?

also, whats the best one 3, 4, or 5

jakncoke
05-24-2008, 04:14 PM
I only played one and ya I forgot that those copies go for a lot but there is a main group that slightly changes throughout the game and you can build up quite nicely and really progress at your own pace. really good game.. the runes were cool as well, my dad was playing it the other and tbh the graphics didn't age that badly.

blaze4556
05-24-2008, 07:56 PM
blue dragon and lost odysee

Kujo
05-25-2008, 12:30 AM
IS Blue Dragon actually any good? I've seen some reviews and none of them struck my fancy. i need a serious FF-esque RPG for the 360 as well...

blaze4556
05-25-2008, 08:00 AM
IS Blue Dragon actually any good? I've seen some reviews and none of them struck my fancy. i need a serious FF-esque RPG for the 360 as well...

i only played it for like 15 minutes at a friends house, it seemed like a pretty good game. the combat style is quite like FF :yes:
but im not a huge fan of those type of games :no:

jakncoke
05-26-2008, 05:27 PM
i only played it for like 15 minutes at a friends house, it seemed like a pretty good game. the combat style is quite like FF :yes:
but im not a huge fan of those type of games :no:

That isn't surprising seeing Hironobu Sakaguchi(aka the FF creator)made it

EpsilonX
05-27-2008, 08:15 PM
blue dragon and lost odysee

you must not know me very well. Or at all. Seeing as I pretty much hate the 360.

But yeah, Lost Odyssey does seem to be what i'm looking for.

Nerdy Knight
05-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Dragon Quest VIII FTW.

EpsilonX
05-27-2008, 09:25 PM
Dragon Quest VIII FTW.

What? No! Level grinding is definitely FTL.
Unless it's not painful grinding. Sometimes (though rarely) it's fun to grind (crisis core comes to mind)

schutzengel
05-29-2008, 03:51 AM
the tales series is always a good bet, the story is usually good, funny, small group of character and the battle system is very creative.

EpsilonX
05-31-2008, 12:01 PM
the tales series is always a good bet, the story is usually good, funny, small group of character and the battle system is very creative.

I heard some good stuff about them. maybe i'll check those games out.

which one is the best?

Blackbird
06-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Blue Dragon isn't really my game, Eternal Sonata it's way better that game. ^^. They seem there going to release some good games soon.