PDA

View Full Version : Important Question

EpsilonX
05-27-2008, 11:10 PM
So I want to get a Shin Megami Tensei RPG, and i've narrowed it down to Persona 3 FES and Nocturne. I want both, but I don't really want to dish out $70 just for video games ATM. So which one should I get?

Most say that Nocturne is actually better, with a more focused story, but Persona 3 plays sort of like a dating sim as well as an RPG, and both are things I enjoy very much. Also, I heard Nocturne was extremely difficult, and you only have 1 player character through the entire game which has no real name (you choose the name) and he has no dialogue through the course of the game.

It wouldn't be such a problem if the games weren't put out by Atlus, who has a tendency to put out a game for a short period of time and then stop printing it for unknown reasons, causing the price to go way way up used (Nocturne cost almost $100 used until recently when they reprinted it) So i'd like to get them soon.

So. It comes down to.

better/tighter story
may be unable to get it later
Dante from DMC

vs.

more character interactions
Dating Sim aspects (which I enjoy)
less difficult
still may be unable to get it later.

I could always opt to not switch my MGS4 preorder from regular to special edition and spend the extra $25 on the other RPG, but...

jakncoke
05-28-2008, 02:47 AM
regular edition MGS4, and Persona 3 is what I'd personally suggest.

Nerdy Knight
05-28-2008, 02:22 PM
I would definitely stick with Metal Gear Solid 4: Special Edition and Nocturne. I'm not a huge person for dating simulators, and a better and tighter story is always nice. I'm not sure how Dante is in there, but that's pretty cool too I guess! But that's just me. :P

EpsilonX
05-28-2008, 05:39 PM
I would definitely stick with Metal Gear Solid 4: Special Edition and Nocturne. I'm not a huge person for dating simulators, and a better and tighter story is always nice. I'm not sure how Dante is in there, but that's pretty cool too I guess! But that's just me. :P

Well, the thing about Nocturne thats preventing me from going out and getting it is the main character has like no dialouge and the game has a high level of difficulty. Difficult random encounters, with level grinding needed.

Dante is in there cuz the game is full of demons and dante is a demon hunter. So they made a deal with capcom in exchange for dante being in the game capcom requested that the art director from nocturne worked on DMC3.

The thing about Persona 3 that entices me though is the fact that in addition to the plot, you also play a high schooler and actually have to go through high school during the day, and at night you do the rpg aspects. sounds fun to me. But Nocturne...just looks so good...and it's an RPG where Dante is a playable character.

and both are atlus games, so if the current print runs out (which it might at any time) the game's price will skyrocket (to about $80 used being cheap) so...

Nerdy Knight
05-28-2008, 07:29 PM
Ah...okay. That makes much more sense. I naturally chose Nocturne, because I enjoy games that are more difficult. Besides, Persona 3 sounded kinda stupid, because you SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE HEAD to attack your enemies. That sounded a little too weird...

EpsilonX
05-28-2008, 08:13 PM
Ah...okay. That makes much more sense. I naturally chose Nocturne, because I enjoy games that are more difficult. Besides, Persona 3 sounded kinda stupid, because you SHOOT YOURSELF IN THE HEAD to attack your enemies. That sounded a little too weird...

actually, you shoot yourself in the head to release your persona and the persona attacks enemies.

is there any way i can make this a poll?

edit: i figured out how

EpsilonX
05-29-2008, 02:02 PM
bumpiddy bump bump.

EpsilonX
06-01-2008, 04:09 PM
so, my mom bought me persona 3 as a gift when we were at gamestop, so i'm gonna buy nocturne with my own money. Yesssss

(she bought it for me because i had to watch my baby bro and sis all day long and it drove me insane)

Iceskater101
06-05-2008, 10:39 PM
what system are these rpg's on?

younging94
06-05-2008, 11:16 PM
ps2, pc, sega, alot of platforms

Kujo
06-06-2008, 01:46 PM
wait.. what the hell is in the MGS4 special ed? and whats this RPG your talking about and what does it have to do with MGS??

EpsilonX
06-08-2008, 10:40 AM
what system are these rpg's on?

they're both PS2 RPG's

anyways, i ended up changing the preorder to the Limited Edition MGS4, and I bought Nocturne with my own money and my mom bought me Persona 3. I also bought FF12 :-D

i think i'm done buying video games for now...I got a hell of a lot of them to play.

Iceskater101
06-08-2008, 06:34 PM
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]oh ok thanks for telling me that. well I havent played them but.. I assum they are both good because people have said both.