PDA

View Full Version : Debate - Link Between Video Games Violence and Real World Violence

GF Eric
05-28-2008, 07:50 AM
Ok I recently did a research project on Video Games Violence and Real World Violence and came up with zipo info on the matter. The topic is mixed with people saying their is a link or there isn't a link.

Research is inconclusive, emphasizes Kierkegaard. It is possible that certain types of video game could affect emotions, views, behaviour, and attitudes, however, so can books, which can lead to violent behavior on those already predisposed to violence (Nauert).

In 2004, Olson and Kutner began a $1.5 million study funded by the U.S. Department of Justice to tease out the connection between the two variables. They found that video games do not affect all children equally and that the effect on behavior is not solely dependent on violence, gore, or sex (Schechter).

I’m not saying some games don’t lead to aggression, but I am saying the data are not there yet,” Williams said. “Until we have more long-term studies, I don’t think we should make strong predictions about long-term effects, especially given this finding (Lynn).

On The Daily Show on Thursday, April 26, Jon Stewart made short work of the suggestion that the Virginia Tech shooter, Cho Seung-Hui, might have been influenced by violent video games. (Cho may or may not have played the popular first-person-shooter game Counter-Strike in high school.) A potential video-game connection has also been dangled after past killings, to the irritation of bloggers. The reports are that shooter Lee Boyd Malvo played the game Halo before his sniper attacks around Washington, D.C., and that Columbine killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold loved Doom (Schaffer).

The potential for a link between violent media and aggressive behavior has been a controversial one, especially when that media comes in the form of violent video games. Individual results have suggested a tenuous connection between violent games and aggressive behavior, but other work has found no such link. Earlier this year, we described work by Dr. Christopher Ferguson, who suggested a combination of non standardized experiments and publication bias (a tendency for researchers and journals to only publish positive results) could account for much of the confusion. Now, Ferguson has attempted to make up for the lack of standardization with a meta-analysis of research on the topic (Timmer).

Darren had a tough time in school earlier this week. On Monday, a teacher said something that embarrassed him in front of his classmates. When he went home that afternoon, he plugged in his video game console, loaded Grand Theft Auto III, blew up a few cars and shot a half-dozen people, including a young blond woman. When asked, Darren admits that the woman he killed in the game looked a lot like his teacher. If you listen to the politicians and the pundits, the relationship is blindingly clear: playing violent video games leads children to engage in real-world violence or, at the very least, to become more aggressive. In August 2005, the American Psychological Association issued a resolution on violence in video games and interactive media, stating that "perpetrators go unpunished in 73 per cent of all violent scenes, and therefore teach that violence is an effective means of resolving conflict" (Kutner & Olson).

Can we stop with the conjecture and speculation please! There seem to be as many theories about gaming impact on specific incidents and tenuous causal links as there are people that believe there is an intuitive link. The latest is discussed in Cognitive Daily which looks at a study that measures the difference in heart-rate and galvanic skin response when watching a violent video between two groups. The first has played violent video games immediately prior and the second hasn't. The results are used to insinuate a desensitisation to violence from violent video games. To say that this linkage does not hold up to scientific rigour is a gross understatement (Greensmith).

The incident caused outrage and the bill's sponsor, the Bavarian interior minister GüntherBeckstein, claimed there was a direct connection between Bosse's actions and his love of the game Counter Strike. "It is absolutely beyond any doubt that such killer games desensitise unstable characters and can have a stimulating effect," he said (Johnson).

With all that I am making a debate on the matter if video game violence cause real world violence. What do you think? It is a debate so debate this.

rukisuto
05-28-2008, 10:31 AM
I think it's a bunch phooey.

I think the problem is in the home with the parents/family. The media is too caught up in this video game revolution and feel like placing all the blame on it. I think a child brought up on poor principles doesn't have the knowledge to know better from a video game.

It's just stupid how senators are wasting their time trying to pass stupid bills on violent video games, there's bigger problems out there than something the media made up.

Bleh.

jakncoke
05-28-2008, 11:09 AM
I've seen a couple studies that show since 1990 crimes amongst teens actually lowered, something JT refuses as it doesn't fit his agenda. I am in the opinion that the people that go out and kill were already crazy before even touching a game or got crazy some other way such as family violence, bullying..ect. For some reason some ppl believe if violent games were gone the crime would go down and if they stay we'll be doomed..just like when Tipper Gore and her posse went after Rap and certain artists and how ppl thought Rock N Roll/Elvis were bad for society back in the day..some ppl need more things to fill out there day and stop trying to control business that isn't theirs

LiNuX
05-28-2008, 11:26 AM
it depends on the person, i've played CS since 1.3 years ago, i even played GTA before i was 13 (probably earlier but dont remember) and i've seen some of the goriest and violent movies out there before teenage years and i turned out fine

i blame the parents! but again, it depends on the person, some people are just stupid enough to think if you die in real life, you'll respawn in a few minutes after the round is over like in CS

YuriPrime
05-28-2008, 11:30 AM
I personally think these games act as more of a method of release rather than a gateway to real life violence. That's not to say there isn't the odd person who kills someone in a video game and thinks "hey, I'd like to see what it's like to try that in real life". But for the most part people are smart enough to separate video games from real life, I think.

Nerdy Knight
05-28-2008, 02:39 PM
I believe video-games may play a small part in the reason some kids are running around with guns and shooting up innocents GTA style, but I'm sure they really aren't the main reason. It's really the things like being brought up in a bad lifestyle or even not learning enough about your own self that cause people to be attracted to these violent things. Instead of worrying about video-games being too violent and corrupting young people when they really have no solid evidence of it, they could be focusing on other more important world conflicts. I myself know that nothing about reenacting violent things in video-games bring any good. If I ever have any kids, I'm not really worried about my kids learning bad things from the video-games they play. As long as they know the difference between what is right and wrong, I don't care what they play at all. Then again, the way people are dissing violent games nowadays, we may not have violent games anymore. I highly doubt it though.

Samus-Fan
05-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Video Games have nothing to do with it.

It's all in the parents.
If the parents are getting drunk and into bar fights every night, think that might rub off onto your son?

Video games just bring out the fantasy of life. I don't even see how someone could think that RL Violence and VG Violence are connected

Iceskater101
06-03-2008, 08:12 PM
I think it depends on the family. If the son is getting abused then yes I think he will start to kill people. video game violence I dont think has anything to do with it because i dont think your child is going to have rocket launcher from halo 3 and I dont think he is going to blow people up you know?

GF Eric
06-03-2008, 09:02 PM
Keep the debate going guys. This is good. So far its a Family Blame reason.

rukisuto
06-04-2008, 05:42 AM
I think it depends on the family. If the son is getting abused then yes I think he will start to kill people.

I don't like how you worded that.
It's kind of offensive.

----------

Many factors can contribute to someone's unstable mentality.
It takes a lot more than just a video game to trigger violence.

KittyCat72
06-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Video game violence and real life violence do have a small link. There's always those stupid people who copy games and movies. It isn't the video game's fault though, it's the person's fault for copying it. Like I said, it's not just video games... there shouldn't be a link between violence and games... but there is because violence can link back to almost anything. As ruki said, it take a lot more than video games to trigger violence.

younging94
06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
I cant agree with Ruki more, it really does take more than just a simple video game to drive you on homicide.

And what about the ESRB ratings? If a game shows that much violence it must be rated M, and if you are an adult, YOU should be held responsible for anything you do, not to blame it on a virtual game.

----------

Yesterday i ran over 6 people with a motorcycle, then a few hours after that i also helped my neighbor carry her bags up the steps.

rukisuto
06-05-2008, 02:19 PM
And what about the ESRB ratings? If a game shows that much violence it must be rated M, and if you are an adult, YOU should be held responsible for anything you do, not to blame it on a virtual game.

Exactly.
Video game stores are really enforcing the age rule too.
Well, at least in Michigan they are.

LiNuX
06-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Exactly.
Video game stores are really enforcing the age rule too.
Well, at least in Michigan they are.

in michigan, not NYC lol, cuz on Sunday I took my little sis to circuit city to buy a camera and some little kids around 11 or 12 yrs old were taking out GTA IV and the clerk said NOTHING, no adults with them either lol, i was gonna say something but oh well, i had my own stuff to worry about

younging94
06-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Lol, sure are doing it in Maryland.
I was getting Oblivion, and the clerk was treating me like i was retarded XD

"Hold on there little buddy, and how old might you be?"
"13"
"Awww, im sorry there pal, you're gonna have to have an adult with you to buy this videogame sonny."
"....al..right?"

EpsilonX
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Well, we're exposed to violence so much more nowadays, people just sort of shrug it off. Back in like the 70's it was much more omg-worthy...

thats what i think

Iceskater101
06-05-2008, 05:40 PM
Lol, sure are doing it in Maryland.
I was getting Oblivion, and the clerk was treating me like i was retarded XD

"Hold on there little buddy, and how old might you be?"
"13"
"Awww, im sorry there pal, you're gonna have to have an adult with you to buy this videogame sonny."
"....al..right?"

haha sad..

LemonRising
06-05-2008, 11:06 PM
If you're gonna pin video games, you might as well pin movies, books, music, oh and how about, the news.

It's never one thing, it's always multiple factors and some may be quite small.
It's all about upbringing and the environment people are brought up in.
Someone brought up in a house where the brothers are in gangs and sisters who work the streets will probably be different than someone who grew up in a good neighborhood with decent income and parents who treat you fine.

People are just looking for somewhere to put the blame. Before violent video games were a big hit, where did they put the blame? Music.
They'll keep coming up with different ways because its easier than saying "yeah there are some messed up homes."
There are no easy solutions for that, so avoid it.

My two centslol

rukisuto
06-06-2008, 05:44 AM
If you're gonna pin video games, you might as well pin movies, books, music, oh and how about, the news.

It's never one thing, it's always multiple factors and some may be quite small.
It's all about upbringing and the environment people are brought up in.
Someone brought up in a house where the brothers are in gangs and sisters who work the streets will probably be different than someone who grew up in a good neighborhood with decent income and parents who treat you fine.

People are just looking for somewhere to put the blame. Before violent video games were a big hit, where did they put the blame? Music.
They'll keep coming up with different ways because its easier than saying "yeah there are some messed up homes."
There are no easy solutions for that, so avoid it.

My two centslol

I agree with you 100% :]

For most cases, you need an adult to buy violent games because they're usually rated M.
What does that tell you about the parents if they're buying their 10 year old GTA IV?

It's crazy.

dalebu
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
This is an interesting topic and I think the most righteous answer would be 'maybe'. We cannot deny that action movies, and later on games, started to show up around 80s and they all promoted some sort of violence and it got more and more brutal as the time passed.

I think there is a link and it could make you think different about violence with games and movies. You would be much more free to think that you could maybe do to it in real life and you would think just about the act of violence more, it would be more on your mind.

Twigz
06-19-2008, 02:08 PM
We've had many threads on this as well; it is the adult's/caregiver's/parent's job to monitor and progress their child's mindset, and if that child equates or emulate video game violence to real life violence, the parents are the ones that will wind up paying the price in the end. Because once that cartridge or CD goes into the slot, the kids are the ones that are ultimately using that product; if they think that what is CGIed is what is in actuality, that is the parent's job, but also, the kid should be (if they are being schooled) able to differentiate reality with unreality. That's my 1 cent. :)

EpsilonX
06-19-2008, 09:51 PM
We've had many threads on this as well; it is the adult's/caregiver's/parent's job to monitor and progress their child's mindset, and if that child equates or emulate video game violence to real life violence, the parents are the ones that will wind up paying the price in the end. Because once that cartridge or CD goes into the slot, the kids are the ones that are ultimately using that product; if they think that what is CGIed is what is in actuality, that is the parent's job, but also, the kid should be (if they are being schooled) able to differentiate reality with unreality. That's my 1 cent. :)

Much easier said than done, regulating and stuff.

Anyways, I think the truth is, there's a very minimal relationship. There's a big relationship in the earlier years (below 8 i'd say) because kids still can't tell the difference between what is real and what is fake. But once they get old enough, if somebody grew up on violence, sure they'll be less sensitive towards violence, but it won't make a huge difference in how they act. I mean, if a kid is sheltered his whole life, the first time he sees something really bloody and violent, he'll be utterly shocked and probably want to avoid violence.

....what do you think

rukisuto
06-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Much easier said than done, regulating and stuff.

Anyways, I think the truth is, there's a very minimal relationship. There's a big relationship in the earlier years (below 8 i'd say) because kids still can't tell the difference between what is real and what is fake. But once they get old enough, if somebody grew up on violence, sure they'll be less sensitive towards violence, but it won't make a huge difference in how they act. I mean, if a kid is sheltered his whole life, the first time he sees something really bloody and violent, he'll be utterly shocked and probably want to avoid violence.

....what do you think

I think someone growing up on violence will think it's acceptable to behave in such a manner.

And it goes back to the parents. If a kid is 8 and playing violent video game, who is letting him do that? I know he isn't buying the game himself.

Twigz
06-20-2008, 06:42 PM
I wouldn't let my child play one video game at least until he/she was 6 or 7; by then he/she would have enough common sense dug deep in his/her brain to know that what he/she is playing is beyond reality. Again, that's just me.

rukisuto
06-20-2008, 06:47 PM
I wouldn't let my child play one video game at least until he/she was 6 or 7; by then he/she would have enough common sense dug deep in his/her brain to know that what he/she is playing is beyond reality. Again, that's just me.

When I was little I played games like that.
Athough they were more like games that helped develop skills like art and reading comprehension.
I would definitely let my children do things of that nature.

nemesis
06-21-2008, 04:25 AM
people like to think its not their fault, it is easy to blame someone or in this case something else. Why people only look outside there four wall for the problem is beond me. i have play game since i was a child and watch aliens, nightmear on elm st when i was about 10, yet i have not killed anybody. parents or not its society and the inabiltety to see what in front of us. (sorry about the spelling)

rukisuto
06-21-2008, 06:57 AM
people like to think its not their fault, it is easy to blame someone or in this case something else. Why people only look outside there four wall for the problem is beond me. i have play game since i was a child and watch aliens, nightmear on elm st when i was about 10, yet i have not killed anybody. parents or not its society and the inabiltety to see what in front of us. (sorry about the spelling)

You're so right.
People should just own up to the things they've done.
Maybe then they could could start to work on the problem.

Twigz
06-21-2008, 01:23 PM
You're so right.
People should just own up to the things they've done.
Maybe then they could could start to work on the problem.

Agreed. Rather than playing "The Blame Game", and pointing the finger every which way, people should point that finger towards them and should own up their responsibilities as parents.

rukisuto
06-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Agreed. Rather than playing "The Blame Game", and pointing the finger every which way, people should point that finger towards them and should own up their responsibilities as parents.

But people in general are idiots.
I know it's hard to own up to your mistakes, but people respect you for that.
Especially if you try to change.

I mean, raising a kid is a bit different.
It would be incredibly hard to change a child after he or she has been brought up in such a lifestyle.

LiNuX
06-21-2008, 02:50 PM
i blame television and movies! lol

but i agree that people are idiots, some people just do stuff because it "feels" right - i never do anything unless I know it is right cuz i don't want to end up in prison right now, im too brainy for that!

rukisuto
06-21-2008, 02:52 PM
i blame television and movies! lol

but i agree that people are idiots, some people just do stuff because it "feels" right - i never do anything unless I know it is right cuz i don't want to end up in prison right now, im too brainy for that!

But then it would be like the show Prison Break!
Be all sneaky and break out of prison and whatnot, lol.

LiNuX
06-21-2008, 02:59 PM
But then it would be like the show Prison Break!
Be all sneaky and break out of prison and whatnot, lol.

lol, i think the title "prison break" suggests ur explanation lol

some people just tend to take things too seriously, even with video games and movies and they think they can do this in real life - it is simple psychology, kids from the ages of around 2-10 or so have the sponge brains that absorb all the information coming their way and if they are fed with violent movies and destructive video games all their life, they will surely act that way

reason why ratings system came out

but then again, i've watched all of the violent movies and played horrible games as a youngster and i turned out fine lol

its a hypocritical statement, i know that but its from my psychology class lol - i still remember the social conditioning and some other conditioning lol

Jjjet1
06-24-2008, 11:04 PM
ok so what about me? you're saying since i've been brought up in an upper class place that i want to be a ceo of a multimillion dollar organization like my dad? no i want to be in the military. no one in my family has been in the military except my grandpa. but i never talked to him because well.. he's gone now. but if you guys read up on this stuff you will see there are cases like in a gas station a guy hand a gun pointed at the clerk and a patron of the gas station had knocked the gun out of his hand and tried to shoot him with it. but the guy ran off. this guy had played video games for seven hours just previously. and this guy looked like a gamer guy pot bellied and all. now tell me why that guy did that? he wasn't a cop or ex military or anything. just a normal citizen and normally civilians just see a robber with a gun or weapon and think oh no don't hurt me! i must duck and cover! instead of i need to take that gun from him and shoot him! please explain that for me.

nemesis
06-25-2008, 12:25 AM
a gamer the person may have, how ever in extreme situations your mind makes a calculation fight or flight. most people may run or hide (i may but never happend to me so i do not know) but with some they will choose to fight, if somebody attact me with a knife and disarmed them i do not think with the adrenaline i would say 'please stay there'. as for the military i want to join but was to overweight know body in my family has s far as i know been in any of the armed forces. games, films and tv yes will have a effect but not as much as life people you have lost, bullied there are may factors with could make somebody a killer but i would not say any one apart from live. 99% of people know its a game or film 1% may not but there is nothing to say they will not flip if they have never played a game, all shrinks will look back oh yes he played gta3 ten years ago its all the games fault.

GF Eric
06-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow nice info guys. Keep this going cause the more members join the more this debate can get involved.

rukisuto
06-25-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow nice info guys. Keep this going cause the more members join the more this debate can get involved.

Have you shared your opinion on anything we've said?
I just see you posting asking people to debate, lol.