PDA

View Full Version : best for preformance

nemesis
06-01-2008, 04:03 AM
hi,
could anyboby give me some advice im going to buying a new pc soon, in will have to last me quite a long time.

what is better as they come in at a similar price on my new system:

to run 2 off these graphic cards in sli 512MB GEFORCE 8800GTS

or

to run a single 1024MB GEFORCE 9800GX2

thank you for any help you can give me

LiNuX
06-01-2008, 12:44 PM
9800 is better and they cost a lot lol, think each of them costs about 25% of my whole PC and this is custom built by me

and these will be good if you can get a good motherboard and processor for it because if you have an AWESOME gpu and cheap Mobo and CPU - that's just a bad combination lol

nemesis
06-10-2008, 07:29 AM
sorry for the delay i will hopefully be running;

Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX9770

4GB CORSAIR XMS3 DHX DDR3 1600MHz

ASUS® MAXIMUS EXTREME

thats if i can afford it, its about £3100 here not cheap although that is with 150gb raptor and a 500gb sata hard drive in a Coolermaster Cosmos S case with 800w p/s and a blue ray rewriter

would that get the best out of the graphics card

LiNuX
06-10-2008, 09:55 AM
DDR3 isn't as great as you think, i'd stick to DDR2 unless your motherboard only allows DDR3

i've heard people complain that ddr3 reminds them of the original DDR and they cost a hell of a lot more too

and the psu is fine for the gpu, but you need a good motherboard to go with it

and why are you getting two hard drives? i mean 1 150 gb and another 500 gb - just get a 1 TB one or something, they are very cheap these days compared to other computer products

and blue ray rewriter is very expensive and it still hasn't surpassed dvd burners and well DVDs themselves. hopefully you aren't paying for super duper items and end up never having to use them fully lol, like i did on my old pc, got a litescribe dvd burner, never used litescribe to this day.

Kujo
06-10-2008, 01:37 PM
Linux... LOTS of PC gamers use multiple harddrives. One is normally smaller, but its read/write times are scorchingly fast. 10,000rpm compared to the standard 7200. The 2nd harddrive is normally used for all the system files, various downloads, music, pictures, etc.... thus keeping the smaller, faster harddrive for gaming. Normally the set up is used in a RAID 0 for optimum performance.

LiNuX
06-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Linux... LOTS of PC gamers use multiple harddrives. One is normally smaller, but its read/write times are scorchingly fast. 10,000rpm compared to the standard 7200. The 2nd harddrive is normally used for all the system files, various downloads, music, pictures, etc.... thus keeping the smaller, faster harddrive for gaming. Normally the set up is used in a RAID 0 for optimum performance.

lol, i know many systems use more than one hard drive, my old pc had two in there and im about to add on another 500 gb one to my current pc

i was just trying to say that hdds are cheap and 150gb is like nothing these days, he can get two 500 gb hdds easily if not one 1tb one