PDA

View Full Version : World 111 Glitch, "The RuneScape Massacre" - 2nd Anniversary

GF Eric
06-02-2008, 08:09 PM
I put this up because it is almost the 2nd Anniversary of this event per say. The Biggest event in Runescape. Read about it here

The World 111 Glitch, also known as "The RuneScape Massacre," "The Falador Massacre", "The World 111 Massacre", "The 666 Massacre" or "Runescape 666", was an extreme violation of the Bug Abuse rule that occurred on 6 June and 7 June 2006.

The Glitch

During Cursed You's level 99 Construction party, a bug was discovered. When Cursed You expelled all of his guests, the people in the fight arena, although unconfirmed if it had anything to do with the fight arena, were given the power to attack anyone, anywhere, and the victims could not attack back, unless they had the ability as well. This bug was not caused by the sheer number of people at the house at the time of the expulsion (the World 111 server could handle the traffic), but it was a problem in the way Jagex itself coded their own skill that caused this glitch, which left the attack option useable outside of the house. This is in no way a fairly common glitch, but in this case, people were able to attack other players. Several people discovered this bug but few decided to take advantage of it. The most notable is Durial321 who is now banned and no longer shows up on the runescape highscores.

The Massacre

Durial321, among other people, started attacking players in Falador; player moderators began congregating, encouraging all players to deposit their valuables and teleport. Also, certain players travelled through the world pretending to be the 'massacre party' who travelled with Durial321 in the video telling him to kill. The main areas affected by this abuse were Falador, Rimmington, Edgeville, and Barbarian Village.

The Loss

There is not a record of item losses, bug abusers, or victims of the massacre. After he could no longer do this because World 111 was full in a matter of minutes, he started chasing multiple people with his whip, and he decided to cast Ice Barrage. The event was only about an hour long, and the only party hats he received were the green party hat. He walked up to Edgeville, and traded his party hat to a friend, which he never gave back. He passed the house west of the bank and was banned. He apologized in his appeal, but his final chance attempt to avoid being permanently banned was denied.

Smaller Massacres

A number of players have claimed to have also abused the glitch; What follows is a list of reported abusers.
Another player who abused this glitch was a player named Saberd, although he did use this glitch for his personal gain, his followers encouraged him to kill the macroers. Saberd, hyped by the crowd, did kill many macroers and was amongst the players that were banned. A separate player named Xxelverange1 took a massacre party not as much as Durial321, and took this time to take revenge on macroers. Although later he admitted to Jagex mods he attacked real players and earning over 100m, Jagex did not ban him. Another player named seany187 used the glitch to kill 3 other players whom he had a personal vendetta against near Mudskipper Point. Although there is little proof of this happening a few people reported that they saw him attacking a player by using range. He is not on the highscores so he was believed to have received a permanent ban.

Aftermath

The bug was fixed, and Durial and the other attackers were permanently banned. Mod Peter himself apologized to the victims, but no items were returned to those who lost them. The players in the 'fake massacre party' were not banned, as they didn't use the glitch, and were just scaring away the players (which was considered highly controversial in players' opinions). Cursed You was later permanently banned for reasons unrelated to the glitch, specifically real-world item trading.
The event was heavily publicised with sensational videos spreading across the internet, showing the frenzied crowd of spectators encouraging Durial to kill. The event is regarded as one of the most significant events of the RuneScape community, alongside events such as the party hat duplication glitch and the Pay to Pk Riot. Much attention has been paid to the date of the massacre, 6 June 2006. This date shortens to 6-6-06; 666 is infamous for being "Number of the Beast" or the Devil's number. In the infamous Pay to Pk Riot, a huge event that went on for 7 days, some players killed themselves to make gravestones, and planted flowers around them. These players proceeded to say things such as "R.I.P Durial", a reference to the World 111 Glitch.
Durial321 has maintained a rather confused legacy following the incident- though there is a generally accepted idea of what occured in the World 111 massacre (namely, there was a game glitch, people could attack others outside of the wilderness, a player named Durial321 abused the glitch...) there are a number of people who are convinced that something "more" happened. These theories (in most cases, seemingly misunderstandings or exaggerations of the truth) range from the glitch having been activated purposely, to Durial being some sort God. These beliefs are hard to trace and pinpoint- players holding them are generally recluses who loudly proclaim them on the forums or in game (particularly during large gatherings), and refuse to answer inquiries as to what they mean, or proclaim the ignorance of those who question the validity of their wild and typically unbacked claims. Others are likely the result of taking the word of such players as undisputed truth, and not questioning the factuality of such wild claims. Regardless of their origin, these "believers" typically regard Durial as a symbol of fighting Jagex and their rules/game changes, often ignoring that he has never knowingly taken an anti-Jagex stance on any issue- or going so far as to claim that the World 111 glitch was a protest of some unspecific game changes that they refuse to identify.

Taken from Runescape Wiki

Nerdy Knight
06-02-2008, 08:18 PM
lol That's pretty interesting. It does seem a little...odd how this happened on 6-6-6 as an "accident." Whatevs. Anyways, that's a pretty interesting story! Thanks for sharing.

GF Eric
06-02-2008, 08:25 PM
No problem. Thats what shocked me the most and I was so mad that I wasn't a member when I heard about this the weeks after.

Samus-Fan
06-02-2008, 09:04 PM
I was there. I was a member, but I was in Camolet when people came in, "Huge Disaster! Depostist your Valubles and stay here!"

I followed those, so nothing happened to me.

GF Eric
06-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I was there. I was a member, but I was in Camolet when people came in, "Huge Disaster! Depostist your Valubles and stay here!"

I followed those, so nothing happened to me.

Wow cool. Man I wonder what is going to happen on Friday. Maybe a morn of the place or a parade. If my membership takes affect, I am heading on that server.

Hawkman
06-03-2008, 06:59 PM
lol i was in falador at the time and i hide in the mines then i ran to a deserted house but then i followed the killing spree fun :mask:

Eric
06-03-2008, 07:15 PM
I remember hearing something about this back when it happened

rukisuto
06-04-2008, 05:51 AM
They make it sound like it happened in RL, lol.
I guess that's pretty cool though :]

GF Eric
06-04-2008, 01:22 PM
I plan to look on the forums on Runescape in the next couple days about this. I wanna see if anything comes up.

Shixx
06-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Whoa, that's crazy. I stoped playing in 2006 though.

GF Eric
06-06-2008, 08:10 AM
Well today is the day. The 2nd Anniversary or The Runescape Massacre. I and probably many of us members on Runescape will probably end up going to world 111 and Folly Square. I defiantly am.