PDA

View Full Version : I'm confused.

rukisuto
06-06-2008, 10:04 PM
So, I came on today and there were 165 new posts.
Every time I clicked the link the post count for new posts would go down by different increments.
So, when I click on a thread and then go to click unread posts, that thread disappears.

I currently have five pages of threads, most of them of ones that have unread posts and no updates.

Anyways, this hasn't happened to me before.
I usually am able to access the thread again by clicking the unread posts link.

Is this permanent?
It's kind of weird, lol.

AND when I comment on a thread it does not appear when I go to browse the threads.
The threads keep changing order when I go to check the unread posts.

I hope you guys understand what's happening.

jakncoke
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM
ya I totally dislike the way it is now.

younging94
06-06-2008, 10:29 PM
lol, same for me, doesnt bother me much though

LiNuX
06-06-2008, 11:10 PM
sorry guys, i had to upgrade the mod again, it was giving me subtle errors in admin panel - it doesn't use cookie based any more like it did - its in database now

so after you read a thread, it disappears until someone posts back and bumps it back up - and if you missed previous threads and logged out, its there in the bottom

i can't change this now because if i do, it won't work :(, i was running into a lot of problems yesterday then I figured out what was wrong.

i'll see if i can fix it back to the old system but the 3.7 upgrade messed with some of the modifications but the fix is not guaranteed

edit: oh, and it worked on our old theme for a few days because that theme was made for version 3.6.5 - i manually updated to 3.7.0 and since its a year old theme, it worked with old modifications

the mod didn't work with the new theme - so i thought upgrading the mod would help, and it just disabled it from view lol - it was the only way to make sure it worked

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Ohh.. ok.
I guess its better that it was intentional than it be a bug you have to fix.
I just totally hate it this way, lol.

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 10:59 AM
Ohh.. ok.
I guess its better that it was intentional than it be a bug you have to fix.
I just totally hate it this way, lol.

yeah, i wish i could set this per usergroup lol - i find this more efficient because the threads i read goes away and i can focus on the rest of it

and it also shows you all the other threads you have missed that you did not bother to visit or forgot to visit

Kujo
06-07-2008, 01:41 PM
I dont mind it at all.. in fact, I rather like it. Maybe I'm just weird?

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I dont mind it at all.. in fact, I rather like it. Maybe I'm just weird?

i like it too so may be weird is the new normal

Iceskater101
06-07-2008, 02:06 PM
I like when it dissapears...

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 02:33 PM
i like it too so may be weird is the new normal

You're just more efficient than I am, lol.
I like the old threads sticking around because I revisit them, especially if it's an SOTW entry thread or something.
It's convenient for me.

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 02:40 PM
You're just more efficient than I am, lol.
I like the old threads sticking around because I revisit them, especially if it's an SOTW entry thread or something.
It's convenient for me.

lol, well on the right side recent threads box, they still stay there - but i can't make this cookie based any more - either this or nothing

but i'll see if i can talk to the mod creator to see what i have to change to make it like the old self - he's a cool guy but this guy made 76 total vbulletin modifications lol, so its kinda hard to have him pay attention to one mod for one little thing, but i'll see what i can do

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 02:45 PM
lol, well on the right side recent threads box, they still stay there - but i can't make this cookie based any more - either this or nothing

but i'll see if i can talk to the mod creator to see what i have to change to make it like the old self - he's a cool guy but this guy made 76 total vbulletin modifications lol, so its kinda hard to have him pay attention to one mod for one little thing, but i'll see what i can do

That's nice of you :]
Well.. maybe you can get something done.

If not, I guess I'll live.
lol.

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 02:50 PM
That's nice of you :]
Well.. maybe you can get something done.

If not, I guess I'll live.
lol.

thats good, cuz i don't want people killing themselves because they think a read thread was removed from the list lol :-P

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 04:02 PM
thats good, cuz i don't want people killing themselves because they think a read thread was removed from the list lol :-P

Lol.
You know, it would be cool if it was removed from the unread list, but then was moved to the list below it.

Oh well :]

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Lol.
You know, it would be cool if it was removed from the unread list, but then was moved to the list below it.

Oh well :]

yeah but the thing is, the vb modifications are written in confusing xml format and i am only good if they have php files in them, this one has just the xml one merged with the themes - I have to manually merge them for each new theme but its just a simple code to do that

i would learn but its so complicated lol, and my brain isn't like it used to be when i was younger, new information isn't easily stuck to my head any more :(

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Ohh.. I don't XML either.
And I wouldn't want to learn, lol.

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Ohh.. I don't XML either.
And I wouldn't want to learn, lol.

yeah it gets pretty confusing, parts of it is like html and php, but some of the basic script commands even confuse me lol

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 05:36 PM
yeah it gets pretty confusing, parts of it is like html and php, but some of the basic script commands even confuse me lol

It took me long enough to learn HTML and CSS, lol.
I continue to learn things pretty much every day too.

I only know really basic PHP and Javascript.
Other than that.. blah.

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 06:14 PM
It took me long enough to learn HTML and CSS, lol.
I continue to learn things pretty much every day too.

I only know really basic PHP and Javascript.
Other than that.. blah.

i know html and css well, very well now actually, better than when i started like 8 years ago, and php i know a lot now and i started that just a few years ago, i am better at manipulating and adding simple things rather than creating whole scripts - besides wordpress templates lol, i just know how to start and what to do with the php there

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 09:38 PM
i know html and css well, very well now actually, better than when i started like 8 years ago, and php i know a lot now and i started that just a few years ago, i am better at manipulating and adding simple things rather than creating whole scripts - besides wordpress templates lol, i just know how to start and what to do with the php there

Definitely understand.
I can make templates from scratch, but I would much rather just manipulate and whatnot.
I've been doing HTML/CSS for about 6 years, so you got a couple on me :]

LiNuX
06-07-2008, 09:44 PM
Definitely understand.
I can make templates from scratch, but I would much rather just manipulate and whatnot.
I've been doing HTML/CSS for about 6 years, so you got a couple on me :]

i didn't make my first html template since i was 14 yrs old though lol, also used tables instead of the div tags like i do now

rukisuto
06-07-2008, 09:54 PM
i didn't make my first html template since i was 14 yrs old though lol, also used tables instead of the div tags like i do now

I started at 11, lol.
My friend got me into it.

I find tables work wonders if you know how to use them.
They make it so easy to adjust to all screen sizes, I love it :]
It takes skill to use a table and make it look great, though.

I've seen some really bad ones, lol.

wifi
06-08-2008, 09:50 AM
i was confused at hell in the beginning then i saw this thread lol, at least i didnt open another

i was like wtf? I just posted, where is my post? lol, i had to go back and check to make sure the posts were made lol, big change but i can adjust