PDA

View Full Version : The battle of consoles from the start.

Trunks
06-16-2008, 02:30 PM
Everyone remembers the good old Atari VCS ( also known as 2600 ). The first console that was released in 1978 at a price of $200. Atari didn't make good sales until 1980 when arcade games were published by Activision. Games like Space Invaders, Defender, Asteroids and Pitfall. Also its hard to believe but Atari was ahead of its time. They even had Wireless joy sticks.

In 1979 the Intelivison game out just a year after its competitor Atari released its console. The price for this system started at $300. Intelivisons Weird controllers made it very unqiue from the Atari. It had 15 buttons all together which made it extremely hard to play.

Later the ColecoVision came out in 1982 at a price of $300. The thing that stuns me is that it can play Atari 2600 games on it. Which doesn't make sense to me, because they were competitors. It basically the same as the Intelivison same weird like controller that makes you think you have a phone in your hand.

That same year the Atari 5200 came out competing with the ColecoVision at a price of $330. ( I still don't understand this I thought they teamed up, but whatever. ) Although the Atari won in the graphic battle, but it performed poorly in the market due to design flaws. It was the first to have analog on the controllers. you have to give it props for that.

The system you all know and love was released in 1985 the Nintendo (NES) It started at a price of only $250 pretty cheap for its popularity. This system blew the gaming world out of proportions With its 8-bit graphics didn't seem to have competitors other than the Sega master system. The (NES) great performance and games made it the best seller of its time.

The Sega master system was released in 1986 competing with the (NES) for ??? (Can't find it anywhere ). The master System seemed to fail in that market industries due to the lack of games.

In 1989 Sega tried again with the Genesis which started at $160. Which had 16-bit graphics with blast processing and better games like Sonic the Hedge Hog and Gunstar Heroes. Although it had better graphics then the (NES) it still failed to meet the standards of its audiences. It also failed to the (NES) in the markets.

Next is Nintendo's turn to upgrade with there new system in 1991, called Super Nintendo that started at a price of only $200 ( Another amazingly low price. I would have thought that it would be higher because of there success with the (NES).) It also had 16-bit graphics and its high speed cpu ( at the time period )which made it run faster than any other system.

Atari's had one last chance at controlling the gaming world. They Released the Atari Jaguar in 1993 for $200. Although it had 64-bit graphics it seem to fail in the markets which caused them to drop out of video game console market.

A new manufacturer is coming in for the battle.The Sony PlayStation in 1994 for $300. Although it had 32-bit graphics it was the first to sell over 100,000,000 consoles.

The Sega Saturn was released in 1995 for $400 with 32-bit graphics. Sega was in process of creating Sega Neptune, it was canceled shortly before Saturn was released. Once again it didn't compare to the audiences as is competitors. This was when the gaming world started to see Sega slipping away.

Nintendo made another console in 1997 called the Nintendo 64 at the price of $200 which also had great success in the market. It was known as the last console to use cartridges. For some reason they seemed to put 64 at the end of all there games. Does anyone know if there was any reason for this or what. Maybe someone could help me out.

Sega finally got it right with the DreamCast which was released in 1999 for $200. Although it was a great system it still was at the bottom of list of Sony and Nintendo. When Microsoft joined the console wars someone had to and Sega got knocked out. Although they quit making consoles they still make games for Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. They stopped making games for the DreamCast in 2007.

Sony developed the PlayStation 2 and released it in 2000 for $300. The sold over 127,000,000 million systems which is the highest amount up to this date.

Nintendo made the GameCube in 2001 for $200. The Gamecube was a good system but the PlayStation 2 had them beat by a long shot. It seemed to look like Nintendo was going to fall out of the competition when the Xbox released.

Finally Microsoft joined the battle. With the Xbox in 2001 for $350. It was of course competing with the GameCube and the PlayStation 2. The Xbox was there first attempt with the console world and seemed to be going well.

Now we enter the seventh generation of video games. In 2005 Microsoft released another console called the Xbox 360 from $300 to $400. It has the best ever selling online game, Halo 3, sold over 8 mill copies. The Xbox 360 has sold over 19 million consoles. So that means that a little under half of the worlds Xbox 360 players have halo 3.

In 2006 sony released there next console called PlayStation 3 from a range of $500 - $600. Although they used to be on the top of the markets they moved to the bottom. It seems that the blue ray caused many problems making people not want to buy it. Also the price was incredibly high compared to its other competitors. What I think happened was that Sony got too zealous and decided that people would buy there system no matter what price.

The Wii was also released in 2006 for $250. It cheap price and interactive games caused it to go to the top of the market. It seems that Nintendo put themselves back at the top.

This is my first review ever so I would love some criticisms or tips. I plan on doing a more thorough review for the older consoles in the near future

rukisuto
06-16-2008, 02:40 PM
That's actually very interesting.
Where did you get all this information? lol.
You did a good job compiling all that.

I hadn't heard of any of the systems before the Atari 5200.
Crazy :]

Eric
06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Nice info. Good post :)

Trunks
06-16-2008, 02:45 PM
I knew about most of the systems, I didn't know a few like the Atari Jaguar. I also had to check the dates and prices on them. I was just very bored. I took me about an hour to get everything put together.

Eric
06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
I never knew half of them costed that much. I got the super nintendo for christmas when I was young.. who knew it costed that much? Lol, not me..

EpsilonX
06-16-2008, 02:51 PM
I want a magnavox odyssey. A-ha

Yeah I used to get bored and do research on the really old consoles on wiki.

rukisuto
06-16-2008, 03:03 PM
The system you all know and love was released in 1885 the Nintendo (NES) started at a price of only $250. This system blew the gaming world out of proportions With its 8 bit graphics didn't seem to have competitors other than the sega master system. The NES great performance and games made it the best seller of its time.

The Sega master system was released in 1886 competing with the NES for. The master System seemed to fail in that mark industries due to the lack of games.

Who knew they were made in the late 1800's?
lol :]

Trunks
06-16-2008, 03:13 PM
yea lol = p theres probably a lot of typo's. Like I said, it took me a hour and I was tired of doing it so I wasn't going to go back and proof read = / Thats how lazy I am

rukisuto
06-16-2008, 03:15 PM
yea lol = p theres probably a lot of typo's. Like I said, it took me a hour and I was tryed of doing so I wasn't going to go back and proof read = / Thats how lazy I am

I feel you.
Some days I just spell everything wrong, lol.

jakncoke
06-16-2008, 06:00 PM
I was bored so I thought i would tell a little bit about the consoles and there they stand on the market. I hope I didn't bore anyone. Enjoy :D

Everyone remembers the good old Atari VCS. The first console that was released in 1978 at a price of $200. Atari didn't make good sales until 1980 when arcade games were published by Activision. Games like Space Invaders, Defender, Asteroids and Pitfall. Also its hard to believe but Atari was ahead of its time. They even had Wireless joy sticks.

In 1979 the Intelivison game out just a year after its competitor Atari released its console. The price for this system started at $300. Intelivisons Weird controllers made it unqiue to the Atari. It had 15 buttons all together which made it extremely hard to play.

Later the ColecoVision came out in 1982 at a price of $300. The thing that stuns me is that it can play Atari 2600 games on it. Which doesn't make since to me because they were competitors. It basically the same as the Intelivison same weird like controller that makes you think you have a phone in your hand.

That same year the Atari 5200 came out competing with the ColecoVision at a price of $330. ( I still don't understand this I thought they teamed up but whatever ) Although the Atari won in the graphic battle but performed poorly in the market due to design flaws.

The system you all know and love was released in 1985 the Nintendo (NES) started at a price of only $250. This system blew the gaming world out of proportions With its 8 bit graphics didn't seem to have competitors other than the sega master system. The NES great performance and games made it the best seller of its time.

The Sega master system was released in 1986 competing with the NES for. The master System seemed to fail in that market industries due to the lack of games.

In 1989 Sega tried again with the Genesis which started at $159. Which had 16 bit graphics with blast processing and better games like Sonic the Hedge Hog and Gunstar Heroes. Although it had better graphics then the NES it still failed to meet the standards. It also failed to the NES in the markets.

Next is Nintendo's turn to upgrade with there new system in 1991 called Super Nintendo that started at a price of only $200. It also had 16 bit graphics and its high speed cpu ( at the time period ) made it run faster than any other system.

Atari's had one last chance at controlling the gaming world. They Released the Atari Jaguar in 1993 for $200. Although it had 64 bit graphics it seem to fail in the markets which caused them to drop out of video game console market.

A new manufacturer is coming in for the battle.The Sony PlayStation in 1994 for $300. Although it had 32 bit graphics it was the first to sell over 100,000,000 consoles.

The Sega Saturn was released in 1995 for $400 with 32 bit graphics. Sega was in process of creating Sega neptune but it was canceled shortly before Saturn was released. Once again it didn't compare the audiences like the Nintendo did

Nintendo made another console in 1997 called the Nintendo 64 at the price of $200 which also had great success in the market. It was known as the last console to use cartages and the first to have an analog stick. For some reason they seemed to put 64 at the end of all there games. Does anyone know if there was any reason for this or what. Mabey someone could help me out.

Sega finally got it right with the DreamCast which was released in 1999 for $200. Although it was a great system it still was at the bottom of list of Sony and Nintendo. When Microsoft joined the console wars someone had to and Sega got knocked out.

Sony developed the PlayStation 2 and released it in 2000 for $300. The sold over 127,000,000 million systems which is the highest amount up to this date.

Nintendo made the GameCube in 2001 for $200. The Gamecube was a good system but the PlayStation 2 had them beat by a long shot. It seemed to look like Nintendo was going to fall out of the competition when the xbox released.

Finally Microsoft joined the battle. With the Xbox in 2001 for $350. It was of course competing with the GameCube and the PlayStation. The Xbox was there first attempt with the console world and seemed to be going well.

Now we enter the seventh generation of video games. In 2005 Microsoft released another console called the Xbox 360 for $300(Premium was 400, Tard SKU was 300). It has the best selling game over any console game. Halo 3 sold over 8 mill copies(factually incorrect, COD4, Wii Play sold more). The Xbox 360 has sold over 19 million consoles. So that means that 50%(8 million out 19 million=42.1%)of the worlds Xbox 360 players have halo 3.

In 2006 sony released there next console called PlayStation 3 for $400(wrong 600 for the 60gb and 500 gb for 20 gb). Although they used to be on the top of the markets they moved to the bottom. It seems that the blue ray(Blu-Ray) caused many problems(No) making people not want to buy it(Ppl shyed away because of price and lack of games). Also the price was incredibly high compared to its other competitors.

The Wii was also released in 2006 for $250. It cheap price and interactive games caused it to go to the top of the market. It seems that Nintendo put them selfs back at the top.

some letter to go along with bold

Trunks
06-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Once again it took my about an hour to do. I started to get bored near the end and slacked off :p.

As for the blu ray it did cause some people not to by it. On some blu ray games and movies it would free during game play. I have read on many different atricals that some people didn't want to deal with the problems. I forgot about the ps3 games thats the main reason for it though.

I don't count the wii play as a game though. Wii play came with most if not all of the Wii's. So theres probably around 18 million. I'm not sure if you still get wii play when you buy one now.

jakncoke
06-16-2008, 06:53 PM
Once again it took my about an hour to do. I started to get bored near the end and slacked off :p.

As for the blu ray it did cause some people not to by it. On some blu ray games and movies it would free during game play(fanboy misinformation you got there). I have read on many different atricals(< lol) that some people didn't want to deal with the problems. I forgot about the ps3 games thats the main reason for it though.

I don't count the wii play(me neither but it's still a game so it still counts) as a game though. Wii play came with most if not all of the Wii's(no it doesn't...your thinking of Wii Sports, Wii Play is not bundled with any Wii's). So theres probably around 18 million. I'm not sure if you still get wii play when you buy one now.

Wii Play continues to sell well to this (see May NPD) and has never been bundled. a 10 dollar tech demo+controller shouldn't count but guess what it still does. And just pretend for second it doesn't that still leaves COD4 ahead of it..still making your statement of Halo 3 being the top selling console game inaccurate

Trunks
06-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Either way theres no need to flame my post and rying to find things wrong with it. I don't own a wii so i though wii play and wii sports were the same. Go search google about blu ray topics if you want. i didn't get a ps3 due to the fact that I didn't want to pay $900 ( they were sold out and i was buying of ebay ) and not have it work. So i bought the $600( once again of ebay ) xbox 360.

jakncoke
06-16-2008, 07:31 PM
I'm not flaming, I'm fixing your inaccuracies .

Trunks
06-16-2008, 07:35 PM
There i fixed the prices and the Halo 3 thing. Thanks for the corrections = )

Kujo
06-17-2008, 05:02 AM
A perfect perfectionist perfecting imperfections!

EpsilonX
06-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Wow...gaming has declined if Halo 3, Wii Play, and Call of Duty 4 are the top selling games....

jakncoke
06-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Wow...gaming has declined if Halo 3, Wii Play, and Call of Duty 4 are the top selling games....

How do figure? Halo 3 sold 8.1 million and COD4/Wii Play both sold over 10 million. GTA 4 defiantly will be up there as well.

EpsilonX
06-17-2008, 05:38 PM
How do figure? Halo 3 sold 8.1 million and COD4/Wii Play both sold over 10 million. GTA 4 defiantly will be up there as well.

GTA i can deal with. But Halo to me represents the gamers that have no idea what a plot is, and are too impatient to play a game that requires any thinking or strategy. All you do is run and gun. Same with Call of Duty.

Now i'm not saying everyone who plays those games are like that, Theres a lot of people who play thinking-involved games who also play stuff like Call of Duty and Halo, but i've talked to people who defended halo by saying stuff like "dis game iz fukin sweet if u don like it den ur gay"

jakncoke
06-17-2008, 05:48 PM
GTA i can deal with. But Halo to me represents the gamers that have no idea what a plot is, and are too impatient to play a game that requires any thinking or strategy. All you do is run and gun. Same with Call of Duty.

Now i'm not saying everyone who plays those games are like that, Theres a lot of people who play thinking-involved games who also play stuff like Call of Duty and Halo, but i've talked to people who defended halo by saying stuff like "dis game iz fukin sweet if u don like it den ur gay"

fanboys are just dumb plain and simple. Also ppl really don't buy Halo for SP...it's mostly MP. All ppl play those games because they fun...now just because your gaming taste differs does not make the other ppl less of a gamer than you nor make the game less awesome because you don't like it.

EpsilonX
06-17-2008, 06:02 PM
fanboys are just dumb plain and simple. Also ppl really don't buy Halo for SP...it's mostly MP. All ppl play those games because they fun...now just because your gaming taste differs does not make the other ppl less of a gamer than you nor make the game less awesome because you don't like it.

I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying that video gaming is going in a direction focused simply on quick fun gameplay, less and less on storytelling. Which in my opinion, is a decline.

Leave it at that.

Trunks
06-17-2008, 06:04 PM
I think that Halo has had a good connected story line through there series. Call of Duty on the other hand doesn't have to much of a story line. Call of Duty 4 having one more than 1 and 2 though. How much of a story line can you put in a FPS war type game. You don't see any racing games with a story line either.

EpsilonX
06-17-2008, 06:16 PM
I think that Halo has had a good connected story line through there series. Call of Duty on the other hand doesn't have to much of a story line. Call of Duty 4 having one more than 1 and 2 though. How much of a story line can you put in a FPS war type game. You don't see any racing games with a story line either.

That's cuz racing games are sports games. Guitar Hero doesn't have a story now does it? Racing games are meant to simulate racing, sports games are meant to simulate a certain sport, and guitar hero games are meant to simulate playing guitar. There's really no way you could incorporate a story into them. So your comparison doesn't really work

And if i'm not mistaken, Half-life has a good story, doesn't it? Bioshock has a good story doesn't it?

But maybe FPS games like Call of Duty are in fact like a racing game. The goal is to simulate being in a war. But then they should be more like Rainbow Six, which has tactics and stuff. Real wars aren't won by somebody running around with a gun killing everyone are they?

hmm

okay, I take back my statement about Call of Duty 4...but not Halo. It's still a pathetic excuse for a game.

jakncoke
06-17-2008, 06:22 PM
That's cuz racing games are sports games. Guitar Hero doesn't have a story now does it? Racing games are meant to simulate racing, sports games are meant to simulate a certain sport, and guitar hero games are meant to simulate playing guitar. There's really no way you could incorporate a story into them. So your comparison doesn't really work

And if i'm not mistaken, Half-life has a good story, doesn't it? Bioshock has a good story doesn't it?

But maybe FPS games like Call of Duty are in fact like a racing game. The goal is to simulate being in a war. But then they should be more like Rainbow Six, which has tactics and stuff. Real wars aren't won by somebody running around with a gun killing everyone are they?

hmm

okay, I take back my statement about Call of Duty 4...but not Halo. It's still a pathetic excuse for a game.

It's a freaking game dude...not meant to reflect on real life. Halo 3 defiantly doesn't have to follow real war tactics for 1 huge reason...he's fighting aliens which is very very from being realistic .Also not all game should follow the same structure..if they did that would cause a gaming crash because everyone would get bored of them or at least severely hurt the industry. Following the same structure is what's going to cause the WW2 sub-genre to have a fallout and hopefully devs shy away from it and if devs keep pumping out FPS that genre will have a fallout as well.

@ Trunks: Was your intention to list all the consoles? If so your missing a few.

Trunks
06-17-2008, 06:49 PM
@ Trunks: Was your intention to list all the consoles? If so your missing a few.

I was going for the more populated systems. I was also thinking about doing a more thorough review on them too. A better written one, this one was kind of rushed I didn't really double check my work. I plan on starting reviewing some games too. So if anyone has any tips on reviewing it would be appreciated.

EpsilonX
06-17-2008, 07:10 PM
It's a freaking game dude...not meant to reflect on real life. Halo 3 defiantly doesn't have to follow real war tactics for 1 huge reason...he's fighting aliens which is very very from being realistic .Also not all game should follow the same structure..if they did that would cause a gaming crash because everyone would get bored of them or at least severely hurt the industry. Following the same structure is what's going to cause the WW2 sub-genre to have a fallout and hopefully devs shy away from it and if devs keep pumping out FPS that genre will have a fallout as well.

I'm not gonna bother arguing with you any more because you refuse to see other people's way of thinking.

jakncoke
06-17-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not gonna bother arguing with you any more because you refuse to see other people's way of thinking.

lulz and your the same way so draw.

EpsilonX
06-17-2008, 09:42 PM
lulz and your the same way so draw.

I made it clear that it's my opinion. You keep trying to change it. That's whats going on. If you don't agree with what somebody says you keep annoying the hell out of them until they cave and agree to whatever the hell you're trying to say.

So just drop this whole thing before you piss me off any further, cuz i've had just about enough of you and your crap

jakncoke
06-17-2008, 09:44 PM
I made it clear that it's my opinion. You keep trying to change it. That's whats going on. If you don't agree with what somebody says you keep annoying the hell out of them until they cave and agree to whatever the hell you're trying to say.

So just drop this whole thing before you piss me off any further, cuz i've had just about enough of you and your crap

cry more, you have no power so getting mad is only going to lead to you getting infractions and me laughing at you for getting them.