PDA

View Full Version : Request Game Servers to be Added

LiNuX
06-16-2008, 07:44 PM
I have space left in my current server's hard drive and the other servers have not used as much Bandwidth as I had predicted so I can open at least another game server.

This thread is for requests for what games you want up. This means the server will be available for you to play on whenever you want. Please try to keep it to PC games only as I have no experience setting up servers for console games.

For example if you request CoD 4 then it'll be for the PC not 360 :)

Request here, if no requests are made I'll go on about my way.

~LiNuX

wifi
06-17-2008, 12:41 PM
since you mentioned cod4 lol, i'll recomend that :-P

LiNuX
06-17-2008, 10:44 PM
i'll see what i need for cod 4 and see if i can set it up for the console since more people play the game on the 360 than the pc at any time of day

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 02:05 AM
how bout a wow server just throwing it up...

no need to flame me i just did it to my self ahead of time

MacQuarie
08-24-2008, 02:47 AM
Battlefield 1942.
Love the dogfights and pacific maps.

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
how bout a wow server just throwing it up...

no need to flame me i just did it to my self ahead of time

don't think those are legal and i need better internet to host an MMORPG because hundreds of people may connect at the same time :(

@m29 - BF 1942 - i'll look into what I need for that. Our Battlefield 2 server is the most unpopular of our servers, I may shut it down and put 1942 instead and see what happens :)

Trunks
08-24-2008, 09:49 AM
don't think those are legal and i need better internet to host an MMORPG because hundreds of people may connect at the same time :(

@m29 - BF 1942 - i'll look into what I need for that. Our Battlefield 2 server is the most unpopular of our servers, I may shut it down and put 1942 instead and see what happens :)

WoW servers are legal, but they are hard to manage. There will be 1,000 of glitches that need fixed. It also takes a long time to get the server popular. It's not like other games where you can just find it on a list, you have to advertise it.

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 10:05 AM
WoW servers are legal, but they are hard to manage. There will be 1,000 of glitches that need fixed. It also takes a long time to get the server popular. It's not like other games where you can just find it on a list, you have to advertise it.

heh..with classes started in 2 days i don't have time to deal with a 1000 glitches lol

and as for the other game servers requested - i may not be able to get to any of them before december, they are pretty time consuming when setting up and dealing with the problems.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 11:39 AM
hey linux just letting u know if u ever want to make a wow server on your own search acweb on google thats, the good stuff

Veriaset
08-24-2008, 06:43 PM

Making your own WoW private server is illegal and if someone found out who made from say a forum Blizzard (the maker of WoW) can sue you for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. I really wouldn't recommend it.

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 06:54 PM
Making your own WoW private server is illegal and if someone found out who made from say a forum Blizzard (the maker of WoW) can sue you for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars. I really wouldn't recommend it.

that sounds more like what blizzard would do and why i shouldn't open a WoW server lol

Trunks
08-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Actually it's not illegal. I posted it somewhere that mentioned how it wasn't. I think it may of been in the advertisement sections. I forget what it says, I do remember it being mentioned though.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 06:56 PM

servers like wowscape have been up for 3 years or something and i talked to one of the gms and they said that blizzard knows about them and they wont sue unless wowscapes making money out of it. as long as wowscape doesn't make money they are barely legal.

LiNuX
08-24-2008, 06:57 PM
i may contact blizzard later on and get this whole thing settled lol

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 07:12 PM
lol k cuzz we should have a wow arena tournament

Veriaset
08-24-2008, 07:16 PM
OK Maybe I was wrong sorry about that I didn't know that they were legal.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 07:22 PM
lol don't worry its a fine line between private servers being illegal and legal

MacQuarie
08-25-2008, 01:44 AM

You'd be my hero if you did. 1942 is the best of the series in my opinion.

MacQuarie
08-29-2008, 07:27 PM
I know this is a double post, but I don't know how to delete the other one and just editting it would probably mean people won't see it.

But how bout hosting IRC?

LiNuX
08-29-2008, 08:53 PM
I know this is a double post, but I don't know how to delete the other one and just editting it would probably mean people won't see it.

But how bout hosting IRC?

we allow double posting as long as it isn't made within 24 hours of your previous post :) so don't worry

as for IRC, i have thought about it, but then we don't have a lot of people active in IRC in this forum in the first place. We have an IRC Channel on the game surge network and we barely have people in there. I am not sure if I want to set up an entire IRC Network server which is likely to be empty for a while before gathering interest. And generally you will need a good server with good internet to be able to run IRC channels because at times you can have thousands of people connect which isn't good for the other servers. It'll just lag things up.

But the idea is still open to me, just wish i had better resources.

MacQuarie
08-29-2008, 11:01 PM
I wasn't aware of the channel on gamesurge. :P

Trunks
08-31-2008, 09:56 PM
Did you decide what game you were doing yet? What you could do is take all the suggestions that are possible to maintain and put them in a poll. I still think cod4 would be the best bet. At least until cod WaW comes out, then it will be better.

LiNuX
09-01-2008, 12:38 AM
Did you decide what game you were doing yet? What you could do is take all the suggestions that are possible to maintain and put them in a poll. I still think cod4 would be the best bet. At least until cod WaW comes out, then it will be better.

i tried setting up a cod4 server in july, gave me a headache and then my ip reset causing me to halt the cod4 server - i might get it up by this christmas time, no promises

And also, I will be taking suggestions and Trunks, you can even gather all this and open a poll yourself of your own suggestions or by others, but I cannot open new servers until my term is over and thats mid December :( Sorry about that but making game servers requires many days of work and most of those are testing and you need to pay a lot of attention to it. I simply can't afford that at the start of my semester. :(

And also I actually need to upgrade the RAM on my server. I may shut down the Battlefield 2 server - its our least active server and replace it with another. If i want to open a 5th game server, I really need to upgrade the ram otherwise people will just lag. And I don't have the money nor time to look for the ram, buy it, install it, etc..

glghiti
03-23-2009, 02:22 PM
since you mentioned cod4 lol, i'll recomend that