PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed : Undercover

jakncoke
06-18-2008, 09:09 AM
EA's John Riccitiello says that the company was torturing its Vancouver team with a rigorous 12 month development cycle, but that has now been changed for the better.

At the William Blair & Company's 28th Annual Growth Stock Conference, he indicated that he was pretty disappointed with Need for Speed last year.

"I thought it was an okay game, in terms of gameplay. It's not good. But who wanted Pro Street? It was a sort of made up, put numbers on the side of your car and pretend to drive your Ferrari where? Or your Porsche where?"

This year, the company will be releasing Need For Speed: Undercover - a game with a very strong mission structure that Riccitiello compared to The Transporter.

"For those of you who ever saw movies like The Transporter - it's sort of a cult classic among people with a B-movie mentality, which fits me perfectly.

"I liked it. I apologize. For those of you with no taste, and you liked it too, we can go have a Schlitz after this."

He said that the new title is a much richer proposition with a huge, embedded storyline behind it. Thanks to the strong narrative hook, he feels really good about the title.

Riccitiello noted that the Vancouver Need For Speed team had been working for eight consecutive years on a 12 month development cycle.

"Last summer we added head count and split the team in two, so now there are two teams on a 24 month cycle. And this is sort of their first 16 and-a-half month game...Because we didn't do it far enough ago to give us a full two year dev cycle."

Next year's game will be a full two year development cycle, he said.

"We were torturing a very talented group of people up in Vancouver, which makes it harder to be as innovative every year. So, I think we are going to get better from here.

"I'm confident that Undercover is a much better game than Pro Street, and I expect that from this point forward they will do a lot better."

gahh just let NFS ride off into the sunset and settle in the graveyard of other game franchises.

GF Eric
06-18-2008, 10:47 AM
Oh now they are just milking this franchise. I agree with you jak. This is ridiculous.

LiNuX
06-18-2008, 11:19 AM
lol another nfs game, they just don't stop - my last nfs game bought was nfs underground for my ps2

GF Eric
06-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Mine was NFS Most Wanted 5.1.0 and that one sucked the stuff in the toilet before it was flushed.

jakncoke
06-18-2008, 07:13 PM
I bought Carbon..might pick up Pro Street but I do already got GRID for my simulation racing needs till GT5..hmm if I seen Pro Street for under 30 I'd probably dip sadly

LiNuX
06-20-2008, 11:59 AM
I bought Carbon..might pick up Pro Street but I do already got GRID for my simulation racing needs till GT5..hmm if I seen Pro Street for under 30 I'd probably dip sadly

i didn't like carbon as much as the underground series - dont know why but maybe i was too used to playing underground by the time carbon came out

jakncoke
06-20-2008, 12:03 PM
I hated Carbon...beat it in like 8 hours. Underground 2 is one of my favorite NFS's of all time..right up there with High Stakes/Hot Pursuit..Underground wasn't bad either and was defiantly better than Carbon.

LiNuX
06-20-2008, 12:05 PM
I hated Carbon...beat it in like 8 hours. Underground 2 is one of my favorite NFS's of all time..right up there with High Stakes/Hot Pursuit..Underground wasn't bad either and was defiantly better than Carbon.

i still have my underground - the original

i played underground 2 and i finished a lot of races in career but the game wasn't mine to keep so i never finished up

jakncoke
06-20-2008, 12:10 PM
I got within .2% of beating Underground 2...never did figure it out... I remember when it first came out I skipped an entire week of school and played it 8 hours a day.

LiNuX
06-20-2008, 12:15 PM
I got within .2% of beating Underground 2...never did figure it out... I remember when it first came out I skipped an entire week of school and played it 8 hours a day.

lol, i played my NFS Underground for like 15 hours a day (if not more) the first weekend i got a chance - it was a 3 day weekend too - the last day it was mostly drift practice, i loved that part of the game lol, better and harder than drag racing

that was childhood for you - dont remember when it was - either 2003 - 2005

Blackbird
06-20-2008, 10:36 PM
My latest game was Need for Speed Carbon :)

souljaa
06-22-2008, 02:14 PM
I love NFS. But they really need to calm down lol..But being a fan..I'll probably get it. I loved Carbon. Especially with a steering wheel.

Kujo
06-23-2008, 03:28 AM
NFS: Most Wanted is my favorite easily. My last bought was NFS: Underground2. Great game, and will also be my last NFS.

Trunks
06-23-2008, 12:38 PM
I know I am getting it. NFS is a great series. NFS carbon was my all time favorite. After I beat the game I found my self just running from cops having a great time.

jakncoke
06-24-2008, 12:54 PM
Big gaming event? Expect Big gaming leaks, here's one of the first. The following snippet reveals new details in Need for Speed's next fast paced outing. There will be 13 CAR BRANDS and 3 MOTO brands and much more as evidenced in the image below. Its coming to PS3, Xbox 360, Wii, DS PSP, and PS2.

- 13 Car Brands and 3 Moto brands, including: Fantastic Vehicles
- New prize system of getting cars (no buy)
- Detailed non-switched off damage model
- Fully arcade physics engine
- 3D Smoke Technology
- Improved Graphics Engine
- Undercover mode offering to carry out time trial missions with ability to use WEAPONS
- Possibility to improving the hero (Increase health points, reaction etc.) <- it really had this typo
- Night stadium racing cups
- Racing stadium allowing to show impropable tricks in air and get points

I wonder when this coming out...E3 will probably reveal this fall.

Scott
06-28-2008, 03:46 PM
If there's no cops it'll suck. But if there is cops with good AI I would think about getting it.

nemesis
06-30-2008, 07:32 AM
I like the nfs games i've got nfs 1,2,carbon,most wanted and pro street for my ps2 although carbon is my least fav. Give the poor guy a chance to make it a good game or that will kill nfs, i dont want that to happen

froggy21
08-06-2008, 05:52 PM
I love Carbon, But I don't know about Undecover, I haven't played it before.. But, Carbon is the Best!