PDA

View Full Version : Review Supreme Commander

Scott
07-02-2008, 09:43 PM
As history marches on, wars have escalated in scale. More than anything else. Supreme Commander understands this. If your going to set a game in the far future, you're not going to get away with 20 people trading shots. Even without fiddling with the options, you're abje to have 500 (Count 'em!) units on either side in this real-time strategy game. Amazingly, since the battlefields can be over 80 kilometres wide, there's still room to manoeuvre. And manoeuvre you have to. Supreme Commander isn't just it's name. It's asking you to be that exactly.

In the three campaigns, each of the individual are enormous, easily taking a couple of hours even if you don't go wrong. And it's not a casual wander through the future gardens of robotic death, with plenty of time to admire the visuals. It's almost constant pressure, with a life-or-death decision running parallel with almost every click.

It's the gaming equivalent to running a marathon. It's easy to go wrong and, at first, hard to go right - especially when it has some of the best artificial intelligence I've ever seen in a strategy game (Far cleverer than the likes of me). But eventually you pick up trick's, like automating your unit production to allow a constant stream of tanks and zooming out to the overview to allow high-level control. And then you can handle it. It's not the best strategy game ever but ace nonetheless.

http://img.hexus.net/v2/gaming/screenshots_pc/supreme/supreme2_large.jpg
The commander unit, especially early on, is pmean to win a battle by himself.

When you off the enemy commander, the resultant explosion takes everything nearby with it.

Score;

Graphics;

Pretty impressive, especially in terms of scale.
86/100

Gameplay;

Highly polished real-time-strategy with an eye on the epic.
88/100

Lifespan;

It's more likely you'll get tired before it does. Three enormous campaigns.
90/100

The good;

- The sheer size of it.
- How the computers much smarter than I am.
- War, war and more war!!.

The bad;

- It's the serious system specs.
- That you spend so much time just looking at icons.
- Matches can sometimes be too long.

Overall;
It's defiantly the best real-time-strategy game of 2007.
91/100

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x230/Janesee2/SupremeCommanderExplosion.jpg
The Best bit is after a massive hammering by whatever forces you can bring to bear, your opponents commander is finally taken down. And then... Nuclear Armageddon!!.

Samus-Fan
07-02-2008, 09:48 PM
I love the review, but maybe some pictures?
I think I saw this in EGM, but I wanna see some pictures!

Good review, though

LiNuX
07-02-2008, 09:54 PM
it is a good review but you need a picture and some ratings would be nice otherwise its just a description

Scott
07-02-2008, 10:02 PM
The review isn't finished yet.Does anyone see the picture. If not someone tell me what I'm doing wrong

LiNuX
07-02-2008, 10:03 PM
The review isn't finished yet.Does anyone see the picture. If not someone tell me what I'm doing wrong

ah..i do see the image codes but it doesn't show up - may have copied the link wrong, check again

rukisuto
07-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I see the image attachment box.
There's one picture.

Good review so far.

Scott
07-02-2008, 10:23 PM
Ok, I've worked it out, now how do you delete attachments?

LiNuX
07-02-2008, 10:27 PM
yup i see it now too

Ok, I've worked it out, now how do you delete attachments?

edit >> advanced >> scroll down >> Manage attachments >> voila

Scott
07-02-2008, 11:04 PM
Ok, it's finally finnished 4 hours later lol. At least I've worked out how to add pictures.

LiNuX
07-02-2008, 11:21 PM
lol looks much better - unique way of reviewing - starting in the post, submitting the post, then editing slowly lol

good work though :)

rukisuto
07-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I like your review set up.
Very clean, organized :]

Good job.

diablo
07-03-2008, 12:25 PM
wow that looks great, especially the pic of the nuke :D good review

EpsilonX
08-09-2008, 10:42 AM
I definitely was going to buy this, but I ended up getting Universe at War instead, but mostly because it's $20 cheaper. (supcom gold is $30, which is the original and the expansion. Universe at war was $9)

Can you answer this for me though? I know the expansion for supcom is standalone, you can play it without the original. But you can only play online with the new faction with just the expansion. Does the expansion include the original game and campaigns too? That's what I need to know.