PDA

View Full Version : Parents of sexually abused girls sue MySpace

Twigz
01-19-2007, 04:02 PM
Four families have sued News Corp. and its MySpace social-networking site after their underage daughters were sexually abused by adults they met on the site, lawyers for the families said yesterday.

The Austin and Houston law firms said families from upstate New York, Texas, Pennsylvania and South Carolina filed separate suits Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, alleging negligence, recklessness, fraud and negligent misrepresentation by the companies.

"In our view, MySpace waited entirely too long to attempt to institute meaningful security measures that effectively increase the safety of their underage users," said attorney Jason Itkin.

The families are seeking monetary damages "in the millions of dollars," Itkin said.

Critics including parents, school officials and police have increasingly warned of predators at sites like MySpace, where youth-oriented visitors are encouraged to expand their circles of friends using free messaging tools and personal profile pages.

MySpace has responded with added educational efforts and partnerships with law enforcement. The company also has placed restrictions on how adults may contact younger users on MySpace, while developing technologies such as one announced Wednesday to let parents see some aspects of their child's online profile, including the stated age. That tool is expected this summer.

"MySpace serves as an industry leader on Internet safety and we take proactive measures to protect our members," Hemanshu Nigam, MySpace's chief security officer, said in a statement.

The lawyers who filed the lawsuits said the plaintiffs include a girl, 15, from Texas, a 14-year-old from upstate New York, a Pennsylvania 15-year-old, and two South Carolina sisters, 14 and 15.

aosmallan
01-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Ooooh, so now that there's someone to sue, parents want millions of dollars.

Not saying that it's an illigitimate claim, but online sexual predators have been an on an off, high-ticket issue over the last decade, and no one has sued AOL Instant Messenger have they? Or at least have not come out on top of such a lawsuit. Why? Because there are disclaimers directed towards these situations. It is all entirely user-controlled.

"MySpace.com is not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any User of the MySpace Services. "

"Under no circumstances shall MySpace.com be responsible for any loss or damage, including personal injury or death, resulting from use of the MySpace Services, attendance at a MySpace.com event, from any Content posted on or through the MySpace Services, or from the conduct of any Users of the MySpace Services, whether online or offline."

My little sister wanted a MySpace, and I told her "no". If it were my call, I won't let her have one until she's 15 or 16. If parents did their job, it wouldn't happen. I'm not even talking about parents checking their kids accounts or other snoopy things like that. If parents raised their kids right, it wouldn't even be an issue. Kids would look at an awkward friend request and go back their should-be, 5-year old teachings that say, "Don't talk to strangers," at least not until they're old enough to decipher for themselves the character of the people they meet. It's that simple.

Though on another note, I do agree that it is way too easy for people to impersonate a younger person to get in touch with other younger people. But that is why I believe that 1) If you feel your child is not old enough to meet, get to know, and judge strangers for themselves, 2) Your child is not aware of potential online dangers, or 3) You are not reasonably comfortable with your own knowledge of online dangers and how to protect your children,... then you should not even allow your child to have a MySpace, period.

~~jeanjacket

LiNuX
01-19-2007, 08:55 PM
this was one of the things i said when i was giving the myspace safety tips, dont be a dumass

aosmallan
01-20-2007, 12:17 AM
this was one of the things i said when i was giving the myspace safety tips, dont be a dumass

haha you finally just said it ;)