PDA

View Full Version : First Atlantic hurricane now category three

Raw!
07-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Bertha quickly jumps to Category 3 hurricane
Bermuda residents urged to keep eye on major storm

MIAMI - Less than a day after becoming the first hurricane of the Atlantic season, Bertha surprised forecasters Monday by quickly growing to become a major storm with maximum sustained speeds of 115 mph.

Bertha started as a Category 1 on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale of hurricane intensity and was only expected to become a Category 2 before weakening.

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said it was still too early to determine if Bertha will eventually hit land, but it was moving in the general direction towards Bermuda. Forecasters urged residents there to monitor the storm’s progress.

At 5 p.m. ET, the hurricane was 1,150 miles southeast of Bermuda in the Caribbean. It was moving west-northwest near 12 mph, but its speed was expected to decrease over the tropical Atlantic over the next couple of days.

Energy markets have paid close attention to storms in the Atlantic since the devastating 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons, during which a number of powerful hurricanes ripped through the Gulf of Mexico, toppling oil rigs and severing pipelines.

Hurricane forecasters have predicted this season, which began on June 1, will be average or above average. An average season has around 10 tropical storms, of which six reach hurricane strength with winds of at least 74 mph.
The record 2005 season, which included Katrina, the hurricane that swamped New Orleans and killed 1,500 people on the U.S. Gulf Coast, saw 28 named storms form.

Bertha formed last Thursday near the Cape Verde islands off Africa. It is unusual for storms to form so far east so early in the season, and when it does happen, it is frequently a harbinger of heightened storm activity.

The first named storm this year, Arthur, formed in the Atlantic the day before the season officially started June 1 and soaked the Yucatan Peninsula. It did not go above tropical storm status.

This isn't very good news.

If Bertha does make land-fall, it won't be very good because I'm heading off to Miami Beach for a week. But, I hear if it does make land-fall it might only hit Bermuda. But I hear it could also hit North Carolina, and I'll be heading off to Miami so it isn't very good, but the chances are slim to none.

LiNuX
07-07-2008, 09:54 PM
wow, first hurricane of the season, heard about ti on the news like 30 mins ago, hope it doesn't cause a lot of trouble like Katrina, it'll be terrible

Iceskater101
07-07-2008, 10:01 PM
yeah Katrina was terrible
New Orleans still needs help
hope everything will be ok

Raw!
07-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Katrina wasn't just terrible as a natural disaster, but the way it was handled was also bad.

Iceskater101
07-07-2008, 10:03 PM
yeah and also I heard ( i dont know if it was true ) that the govenor down in Lousiana had the money to rebuild the levi's but he spent it on something else

Trunks
07-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Just image if another hurricane hit New Orleans. There still trying to fix the mess from the last one. If another bad one hits them, they would have to start from scratch all over again. I would start with some back up pumps.....

Iceskater101
07-07-2008, 10:13 PM
I also heard that new orleans could go under water some day
is that true?
or am i just crazy

Raw!
07-07-2008, 10:14 PM
Chances of that are slim to none.

Unless global warming is truly coming, and we are all doomed.

Trunks
07-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Some day of course. The sea level rises so many meters every year. Forget how many, I learned it in since class. New Orleans is basically a bowl, surrounded by water.... It would take a long time for it to be completely under.

conman1000
07-08-2008, 07:20 AM
I heard it, doesn't seem to have much chance of hitting continental U.S.A though.

glenofimaal
07-08-2008, 07:55 AM
i hope there won't be a lot of hurricanes this season

Raw!
07-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Some day of course. The sea level rises so many meters every year. Forget how many, I learned it in since class. New Orleans is basically a bowl, surrounded by water.... It would take a long time for it to be completely under.

Hahaha. That just logically doesn't make sense. If it did rise by "so many" meters, then we'd see a huge change in our sea level by now.

Otherwise, sorry, that just doesn't make sense.

LiNuX
07-08-2008, 10:31 AM
new orleans is below sea level, thats why it flooded so quickly, it is just surrounded by some places that are above sea level and surrounded by levees and those are the ones that cracked allowing water in - places like florida are just above sea level and a rise of 6 meters will put half of it under water near the coasts

Raw!
07-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Some good news on Bertha -

Bertha weakens to Category 2 hurricane
Storm still powerful with 105 mph winds; Bermuda urged to keep eye on it

MIAMI - The first hurricane of the 2008 Atlantic storm season began to weaken on Tuesday in the open Atlantic as it headed in the direction of Bermuda.

Hurricane Bertha, which on Monday quickly became a powerful Category 3 hurricane on the five-step Saffir-Simpson scale with 115 mph winds, slipped back to Category 2 strength with top sustained winds of 105 miles per hour at 11 a.m. ET, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.

Roughly 975 miles southeast of Bermuda, Bertha is moving northwest at about 10 mph and is expected to continue to weaken over the next couple of days.

The hurricane center said it was still too early to determine if Bertha will eventually hit land, but that it was moving in the general direction towards Bermuda. Forecasters urged residents there to monitor the storm’s progress.

On Monday afternoon, less than a day after becoming the first hurricane of the Atlantic season, Bertha surprised forecasters by quickly growing to become a major storm with maximum sustained speeds of 115 mph.

Bertha had started as a tropical storm, then a Category 1 hurricane and initially had only been expected to become a Category 2 before weakening.

Energy markets have paid close attention to storms in the Atlantic since the devastating 2004 and 2005 hurricane seasons, during which a number of powerful hurricanes ripped through the Gulf of Mexico, toppling oil rigs and severing pipelines.

Hurricane forecasters have predicted this season, which began on June 1, will be average or above average. An average season has around 10 tropical storms, of which six reach hurricane strength with winds of at least 74 mph.

Trunks
07-08-2008, 11:51 AM
Hahaha. That just logically doesn't make sense. If it did rise by "so many" meters, then we'd see a huge change in our sea level by now.

Otherwise, sorry, that just doesn't make sense.

Well, its millimeters same difference.

It rises from 0.1 to 0.2 mm every year.

i hope there won't be a lot of hurricanes this season

If the theory of global warming is true, then there will probably be more than last year. As the climate changes, we will have more severe storms.

LiNuX
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
hurricanes are powered by warm water not really the climate, well there is an indirect affect but its kinda whatever...and i believe the sea level changes every year still, it doesn't just go up everywhere, it decreases in some places

sea level is highest when there is a new moon out so you can't really count that out - not sure what it was during katrina but i only heard a few people talk about tides when it happened and how it contributed to the whole katrina incident

Raw!
07-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Oh, milimeters, I thought it was meters. Like 30cm.
If that is that way, then sorry, I didn't realise what you ment younging.

Global warming is true, just the wrong term of putting it.

Let's call it Natural Cycle #100200 etc.