PDA

View Full Version : $25M claim in death after 24-hour hospital wait

Raw!
07-09-2008, 08:11 AM
$25M claim in death after 24-hour hospital wait
Daughter of woman who died unnoticed on psych unit floor wants 'justice'

NEW YORK - The daughter of a woman who died unnoticed on the floor of a hospital psychiatric unit called Tuesday for criminal prosecution of the workers who did nothing to help her.

"What I want is justice," Tecia Harrison said, hours after her family notified the hospital, the city and the city's Health and Hospitals Corporation that they intend to file a $25 million lawsuit. "Whoever committed a criminal act should be held responsible."

Surveillance footage showed the death of Esmin Elizabeth Green, 49, who collapsed face-down on the floor of the Kings County Hospital Center's psychiatric emergency waiting room, where she had been for nearly 24 hours.

She was largely ignored for about an hour. Security guards and a member of the Brooklyn hospital's staff appear to notice her prone body at least three times without making any visible efforts to see if she needed help.

By the time a woman from the medical staff approached her, nudging Green's body with her foot, the stricken patient was already dead.

Hospital chief: 'We failed'
Alan Aviles, president of the Health and Hospitals Corporation, which oversees Kings County Hospital, said in a statement that new staff, procedures and training since Green's death on June 19 would likely be supplemented by further reforms.

"We failed Esmin Green and believe her family deserves fair and just compensation," Aviles said. "HHC referred this matter to criminal enforcement and regulatory authorities on June 20. We have been cooperating and will continue to support any and all investigations."

The city Department of Investigation is examining the case with the cooperation of the Health and Hospitals Corporation, said DOI spokeswoman Dianne Struzzi. The Brooklyn district attorney's office is also involved, and will decide whether to prosecute, Struzzi said. The medical examiner's office has performed an autopsy and is doing further tests to determine the cause of death.

Hospital cover-up?
At 31, Harrison is the eldest of the six children Green left behind in Jamaica when she moved to the United States in 2000 to find work. Now, Harrison is left with questions about how her mother ended up involuntarily committed to the psychiatric ward — falling ill and dying hundreds of miles from her immediate family and with no one by her side.

"It was heartbreaking," Harrison said of watching the video. "Something inside of me died right there with my mom."

The family's lawyer, Sanford Rubenstein, accused the hospital staff of attempting to cover up neglect. In patient records marked 6 a.m. and 6:20 a.m., when surveillance footage shows Green on the floor, hospital staff wrote instead that she was "awake, up and about" or sitting quietly.

Six people were fired after her death in the psychiatric unit, which had already been a subject of complaints and lawsuits by advocates for the mentally ill. The Department of Justice began investigating allegations of patient mistreatment at the hospital earlier this year.

What makes this worse for me is that I saw the video also. It was posted somewhere up on YouTube, and the fact that there were people there, (who reacted as if she was perfectly fine) who didn't do anything to warn the people working their. Plus, I think the security guard came up and did nothing, and same with the doctor.

Eric
07-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Dang, that really sucks. Good thing they are doing something about it though, instead of just leaving it be

Iceskater101
07-09-2008, 11:41 AM
that really sucks
I would sue to if I were her

Trunks
07-09-2008, 11:51 AM
Sounds like a bad hospital to me.... I think its a first come first serve, but when the patient needs care right away, there supposed to take them in.

younging94
07-09-2008, 11:56 AM
I saw the video too....dude >_>
I cant believe NO ONE helped....
The hell are wrong with people today T_T

LiNuX
07-09-2008, 09:21 PM
i saw it on the news last night and my first thought was "wtf is wrong with all the people there" - they were just walking by and even the hospital staff passed by without doing anything - she was lying there! Somebody at least try to see if she's ok

seriously, people these days make me mad, very insensitive and inhuman lately

Trunks
07-09-2008, 09:22 PM
That's what happens America, get use to it = /

LiNuX
07-09-2008, 09:24 PM
That's what happens America, get use to it = /

yea, jak posted another video a few weeks ago about a guy getting run over by a car and people just walked by and didn't do anything for a few minutes - retarded people

Eric
07-09-2008, 11:07 PM
Yeah most people are too busy these days to help others. Pretty sad

LiNuX
07-09-2008, 11:15 PM
Yeah most people are too busy these days to help others. Pretty sad

busy as in waiting to be called by the doctor or being a nurse calling the patients in as the doc does his job? no one has half a second to say help? not just pretty sad, that's super duper extreme uber sad with cherry, chocolate, and a lot of sugar on top

Eric
07-09-2008, 11:17 PM
Yep that the way everybody is. Especially big business men. They can't stop their daily routine to do anything else, because they don't think it's worth their time