PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on a new gaming laptop

Pointu
07-11-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm about to buy a used Alienware Aurora m9700 for 430$ US. Here are the specs:

AMD Turion 64 ML-44 2.4GHz
(2) PDP 1GB DDR PC3200 (2048MB Total)
(2) 9700 NVIDIA 7900 GS w/ 256MB ***SLI*** (512MB Total)
FUJITSU 60GB 5400RPM SATA
24x DVD CD-RW COMBO LITE-ON OPTICAL DRIVE
MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME
AIRGO TECHNOLOGY WIRELESS NETWORK CARD

2 questions:

- Will I be able to run Assassin's Creed and Crysis on it?

- Is this a good purchase for a gaming laptop or should I look for something more powerful?

Thanks

Joshuah
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Well, you need more ram for max quality and I think you'll be able to play 1 of those games on that laptop, I suggest you look for a better gaming laptop ;-)

LiNuX
07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
sounds cheap and pretty good, the two games you mentioned will work on there, but see if you can get windows xp pro edition, its a bit more secure and better imo.

but personally i prefer to use a desktop for gaming, its more stable and less likely to get hot and burn out. and of course you can pack in more power on a desktop

Kujo
07-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Honestly, thats a piece of crap! $430 won't get you even CLOSE to the specs you're going to need to play Crysis and AC. If you really want a GAMING laptop, you aren't going to spend less than $1800. Period. Unless of course, you don't mind playing with the graphics turned ALLLLL THE WAY DOWN TO THE MINIMUM.

List of crap you're going to want:

Intel Pentium 2 Duo - Dual Core proc. No less than 2Ghz.
2Gb of ram if not more.
ATI X1850 video card or an Nvidia card of the same caliber or HIGHER.

Those items alone will run you $900 even if you were to go through a site like www.ibuypower.com (http://www.gamers-forum.com/www.ibuypower.com) or www.cyberpowerpc.com (http://www.gamers-forum.com/www.cyberpowerpc.com) and build one yourself.

Hear my advice, stay the hell away from Alienware, Dell, HP, Gateway, etc if you want a gaming LAPTOP. They all suck. Trust me, I've literally tested them all. They work fine, and if you're a rich little bastard who has $3,000 - $4,000 to spend, them be my guest. But you're much better off building one yourself.

LiNuX
07-11-2008, 03:58 PM
i want to add stay away from TOSHIBA! I've had 2 of them and they both failed me.

and you can actually go AMD instead of Intel because AMD can give you almost the same power you need but they are much cheaper - i've built a few custom computers myself and 100% of them were AMD lol

EpsilonX
07-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Okay so.

I'm getting a laptop for college, and I want to be able to run some newer games on it (like titan quest, starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out, supreme commander, MAYBE Crysis)

I'd be willing to turn the graphics down because i don't care as much about those but i still want it to look good.

what are some specifications for a laptop that won't cost me money but will be able to run those games?

Jaykub
07-11-2008, 05:00 PM
1. Not sure about games.

2. I would get a desktop for gaming with xp and about 400 gbs

EpsilonX
07-11-2008, 05:30 PM
1. Not sure about games.

2. I would get a desktop for gaming with xp and about 400 gbs

what? where'd you come from

LiNuX
07-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Okay so.

I'm getting a laptop for college, and I want to be able to run some newer games on it (like titan quest, starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out, supreme commander, MAYBE Crysis)

I'd be willing to turn the graphics down because i don't care as much about those but i still want it to look good.

what are some specifications for a laptop that won't cost me money but will be able to run those games?

well i think you should have opened your own thread with this lol but anyway you can expect to pay around a $1000 but i won't say much more - if you need help with your own thing, open your own thread - master was probably responding to the thread opener's questions, so it can get a bit confusing

EpsilonX
07-15-2008, 12:20 PM
well i think you should have opened your own thread with this lol but anyway you can expect to pay around a $1000 but i won't say much more - if you need help with your own thing, open your own thread - master was probably responding to the thread opener's questions, so it can get a bit confusing

I was gonna open my own thread but I thought i'd get yelled at because there's already a laptop thread...but i didn't know that master was allowed mack at the time, so i was like WTF when i saw he posted. I thought he like hacked your system or something lol

LiNuX
07-15-2008, 12:22 PM
I was gonna open my own thread but I thought i'd get yelled at because there's already a laptop thread...but i didn't know that master was allowed mack at the time, so i was like WTF when i saw he posted. I thought he like hacked your system or something lol

help threads can be opened by anyone because everyone's situation may not be the same. But if you see a thread about a cow in a pool and you post the same story...that's the same lol, help threads = different