PDA

View Full Version : Rumor about next Halo

jakncoke
07-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Source: A source with first-hand knowledge of Bungie's development.

What we heard: Last year, those skilled enough to complete Halo 3 on legendary difficulty were treated to an extended ending of the game after the credits rolled. For those who don't have a knack for Covenant-slaying, numerous YouTube videos depict how, following the defeat of the Flood, series hero the Master Chief is left adrift in space in the front half of the United Nations Space Command (UNSC) ship Forward Until Dawn.

After a brief conversation with the AI Cortana, the genetically enhanced, perpetually armored Chief enters a hypersleep chamber. The cutscene camera switches to an exterior shot, which pulls back to reveal the remnants of the Dawn entering orbit around a mystery planet. As the sun rises on the planet, music swells, and the screen fades to white--and the cut scene abruptly ends.

With that set-up, many assumed that Bungie's next project would feature the Master Chief marooned on a strange planet, struggling for survival--a sort of off-world Far Cry. However, a source with knowledge of the studio's development slate told GameSpot a different story. She or he said sometime this year, Bungie will announce a "darker, grittier" Halo title that doesn't feature the Master Chief at all.

According to the source, the new Halo game will be a spin-off that resembles "a cross between Ghost Recon and Gears of War." It will reportedly tell a "less cartoony" and "more bloody, violent, and grim" tale of a battle between UNSC forces and the pan-racial religious empire known as the Covenant. The game's atmosphere was described as similar to that of the live-action Halo shorts directed by South African filmmaker Neil Blomkamp (pictured), who was to helm the now-stalled big-screen adaptation of the game.

The source says the upcoming Halo game is a tactical shooter that will follow a squad of colonial marines or orbital drop shock troopers engaged in "intense" fighting on the ground. Gameplay details were scant, other than the fact it will reportedly allow gamers to play as an entire squad in co-op mode through the entire campaign. The exact number of co-op players has yet to be finalized, but it could be as high as eight. It is unclear if the new game is the same as the "Halo: Forerunner" project first rumored in 2006.

The official story: Microsoft had not yet responded to requests for comment as of press time.

Bogus or not bogus?: Based on the strength of the source, this is almost certainly not bogus. And with Bungie's teaser last week, news about the game could arrive as soon as tomorrow's Microsoft press conference at the E3 Media & Business Summit.

thoughts on this rumor?

LiNuX
07-13-2008, 05:27 PM
i heard about it a little while ago and halo games sell everywhere so I wouldn't be surprised if they do bring another one out

Raw!
07-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Yeah, I think a Halo 4 may come out. If not a Halo 4, then maybe a spin-off showing another side of the story, but setting it after Halo 3. Remember, Halo was the only game to hit 170mil on the first day of it's release. Not even Spidey 3 beat that score in a week, it came up with 150mil in it's first week. So, as long as Bungie is making millions, Halo's may just keep on coming. And it's hard to deny that.

Trunks
07-14-2008, 03:52 PM
I think It would be cool if they found that there was another "Master Chief". I couldn't seem them doing anther one unless Master Chief was some how still alive.

Kujo
07-14-2008, 05:13 PM
I think its a kick ass idea... but i fear Halo may end up getting the Milkage treatment. if that happens, my world will truely fail!

rukisuto
07-14-2008, 05:54 PM
A spin off of Halo would be great.
Dark.. gritty.. sounds like my kind of thing :]

Scott
07-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah I like the sound of a darker Halo. I think it would be cool.

jakncoke
07-14-2008, 06:35 PM
I think its a kick ass idea... but i fear Halo may end up getting the Milkage treatment. if that happens, my world will truely fail!

It most defiantly will. Happens with all big franchises.

Jaykub
07-14-2008, 06:43 PM
I think It would be cool if they found that there was another "Master Chief". I couldn't seem them doing anther one unless Master Chief was some how still alive.

have you never seen the ending?

Trunks
07-14-2008, 06:44 PM
have you never seen the ending?

Yea, have you, it doesn't sound like it so far.

LemonRising
07-14-2008, 11:08 PM
I think a new halo game (that's not titled 4) with no master chief would be excellent.

If this rumor is true I think it's a great direction.
It allows a continuation of the game without over playing everything and reusing successful ideas just to get money.
This way bungie/microsoft gets money and we get a decent game.
Win win?

Trunks
07-14-2008, 11:15 PM
I think a new halo game (that's not titled 4) with no master chief would be excellent.

If this rumor is true I think it's a great direction.
It allows a continuation of the game without over playing everything and reusing successful ideas just to get money.
This way bungie/microsoft gets money and we get a decent game.
Win win?

For most gaming companies. It's more of I want the cash, that's it. That's why we get all these bad sequels. They think oh, the first one sold well. No matter what the second won will too, So let's make it bad.

LemonRising
07-14-2008, 11:19 PM
Yes that was my point.
I was saying it seems like they could make a good game out of it, and not just be money whores.

Instead of JUST going for money and leaving us as dead suckers on their teets.
So I'm gonna give bungie three brownie points.
But minus one for money whoring anyways.

rukisuto
07-15-2008, 08:05 AM
For most gaming companies. It's more of I want the cash, that's it. That's why we get all these bad sequels. They think oh, the first one sold well. No matter what the second won will too, So let's make it bad.

I don't think they jump in going 'Ok, let's make this game horrible'.
They probably just don't put as much effort as they could.
Which gives us horrible sequels, lol.

Joshuah
07-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, I hope a Halo 4 comes out, I love Halo games, their awesome :-)

Trunks
07-15-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't think they jump in going 'Ok, let's make this game horrible'.
They probably just don't put as much effort as they could.
Which gives us horrible sequels, lol.

Yea, I know I Was exaggerating a little.

BangkokJames
08-24-2008, 12:51 PM
i love bungie and i believe they won't make a game crappy.