PDA

View Full Version : Insane.

jakncoke
07-13-2008, 10:26 PM
TOKYO (AP) -- About 5,400 residents were evacuated in Osaka in western Japan and flights at nearby airports were rerouted Sunday as army experts disposed of a large unexploded bomb believed to have been dropped by the U.S. military during World War II, authorities said.

An explosives disposal unit from Japan's Ground Self-Defense Force safely defused the rusty one-ton bomb in the crowded residential area during a 50-minute operation, local army spokesman Shoji Matsumoto said.

Nearby highways and roads were closed, and city buses, boats and flights in and out of nearby airports were rerouted, city officials said in a statement.

The bomb - about 6 feet long - was found by workers at a construction site last month, Matsumoto said.

Although the war ended more than 60 years ago, unexploded bombs still turn up regularly in Japan, where U.S. forces conducted extensive air raids against major cities.

A similar bomb was found in the outskirts of Tokyo in May, forcing 16,000 residents to evacuate for a disposal operation. Another one was unearthed in Osaka three years ago.

I can't believe they still pop up regularly after all this time, you'd think they'd be all gone by now

Joshuah
07-14-2008, 09:41 AM
Wow, thats actually pretty amazing. I would do anything to poke a bomb :-) it seems fun the poke stuff lol, but can you imagine if you poked that bomb and it blew up :-O it would be like BOOM, i'm so random :-P ROFL but thats scary how their is still a bomb their from WWII

jakncoke
07-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Wow, thats actually pretty amazing. I would do anything to poke a bomb :-) it seems fun the poke stuff lol, but can you imagine if you poked that bomb and it blew up :-O it would be like BOOM, i'm so random :-P ROFL but thats scary how their is still a bomb their from WWII

ya boom you die in the best possible way, instant and painless. I wonder if you die quick if time slows for yourself and your life flashes before your eyes, or if your about to wreck going 100 into something if that happens, I know time seems to slow for me when certain things happen, anyone else have that occur to them?

LiNuX
07-14-2008, 11:03 AM
wow, scary for the locals - so the US made shoddy bombs that didn't explode lol

i wonder how many more bombs are left undiscovered.

jakncoke
07-14-2008, 11:05 AM
wow, scary for the locals - so the US made shoddy bombs that didn't explode lol

i wonder how many more bombs are left undiscovered.

Imagine how many are left in Germany and other WW2 hotspots.

LiNuX
07-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Imagine how many are left in Germany and other WW2 hotspots.

england probably has a lot - they were the ones hit by air raids every day by germany for weeks or months i think - haven't read about WW II in a while but its something like that

rukisuto
07-14-2008, 11:32 AM
That's so insane.
It would be hard to evacuate so many people all the time.
U.S. craftmanship was pretty bad if a lot of bombs didn't explode on contact.

jakncoke
07-14-2008, 11:34 AM
That's so insane.
It would be hard to evacuate so many people all the time.
U.S. craftmanship was pretty bad if a lot of bombs didn't explode on contact.

Well you got to figure QC probably wasn't high considering how many bombs they were making at the time+ I'm sure the skill of the labors wasn't even close to what it should of been.

conman1000
07-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Wow, that is truly insane to still be finding bombs decades later.

Scott
07-14-2008, 03:34 PM
Wow just think. There could still be bombs in Japan. Imagine you're working in your garden and you discover one of them!.

Trunks
07-14-2008, 08:48 PM
lol, thats crazy. I don't see how it didn't blow up on the fall. If calling a few thousand feet doesn't blow it up, I don't think poking it would be a problem.

Eric
07-15-2008, 02:03 PM
Wow just think. There could still be bombs in Japan. Imagine you're working in your garden and you discover one of them!.

That would be awesome