PDA

View Full Version : I needs a laptop for college

EpsilonX
07-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Okay so.

I'm getting a laptop for college, and I want to be able to run some newer games on it (like titan quest, starcraft 2 and diablo 3 when they come out, supreme commander, MAYBE Crysis)

I'd be willing to turn the graphics down because i don't care as much about those but i still want it to look good.

what are some specifications for a laptop that won't cost me money but will be able to run those games?

LiNuX
07-15-2008, 12:27 PM
any gaming hardware will cost you a lot lol, you can get an AMD Laptop which should tone down the price a bit and still give you the power you need. As for graphics you should get the nvidia geforce 8 or 9 series - any thing older may not be able to handle a lot of great graphics today's games have.

AMD Athlon or Sempron processor should do, there is also Phemon but i don't think its out for laptops yet. Dual core processor is almost a MUST for what you want to do. Otherwise your laptop will crash on you from time to time from a lot of wear.

RAM - at least 1 gig of RAM. Now you can get 2 GIG by paying for a simple upgrade.

You need a laptop with a good cooling system, probably fans and vents all over and not dell....HP Is alright - toshiba is crap when it comes to cooling. IBM/Lenovo is alright too, their batteries last a long time.

If it can handle games, it can handle college stuff :) I don't know what more to say lol - Don't worry about Laptop screen size - 15.4" at max should do. I have a 15.4" one and another 14.5" i think. 17" monitors can get too big because they have to size up the rest of the laptop too.

and as for cost - it can cost you anywhere from $600-$2000 depending on where you get it and when you get it. I am better at estimating prices for desktops so I can't really give you a narrower price frame for this.

let me know if you have any specific questions.

EpsilonX
07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
well my mom is buying me a laptop for college, and i don't want to make her have to spend a great deal. I'm willing to chip in some money too if that's what it takes, but i also want a $600 guitar and a nintendo wii...and i'd rather spend the money on the guitar and wii. (i'm sure ill have enough money...i got $250 grad money so far and ive gotten 3 cards, and we invitedl ike 50 people)

but anyways, what are specifications i'll need? my main concern is diablo 3 and starcraft 2. I don't need the really really high end graphics though. Forget I mentioned crysis.

LiNuX
07-15-2008, 05:30 PM
AMD Athlon or Sempron Processor - 2.0 GHz or higher - dual core recommended
1 gig minimum ram - 2 gigs recommended
GeForce 8 or 9 Series recommended for graphics - about 256mb video memory
a 160 gb Hard drive should do to hold all the info
Windows XP Pro - don't get vista!

see if you can find anything in those ranges and you'll be fine.