PDA

View Full Version : World of Warcraft

Trunks
07-17-2008, 11:06 PM
http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5338/indexworldofwarcraftlogqc0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

World of Warcraft is probably one of the most popular MMORPG ( Massive Multilayer Online Role Playing Game ) ever. It was released in North America on November 23, 2004. Though you had to pay a subscription fee of 15 US dollars a month, it still became very popular.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/3527/vid12cscreen08jpg01xj5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Before you can start playing the game you pick a faction. Their are two different factions in the game. There is the Alliance which consist of: Dwarves, Gnomes, Humans, Night Elves and Draenei. You may call the Alliance the "good guys". The other faction is called the Horde which involve the: Orcs, Tauren, Trolls, undead and Blood Elves. The Horde are known as the "bad guys". After picking your faction and race you then pick what class you want. The different classes are: Druids, Hunters, Mages, paladins, priests, rouges, shamans, warlocks and warriors.

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/1413/worldofwarcraft20080414du9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

After you get all that out of the way you can start playing. When you start off there are thousands of quest that you are able to do. They range from level 1 to level 70. Some quest are impossible to do on your own, so you can join a group to complete the quest. If you don't want to level by just quest, you can also group up with 4 other players and do an instance. In instances almost all of the mobs are stronger than normal mobs. since they are stronger you also get more experience when you kill these, so it could be better leveling than quest. Their are also multiple bosses in each instance which are hard with even five people. Apart from experience you get rare drops. Which sell for a lot more and are a lot better if you decide to use them.

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/5874/worldofwarcraft20050711hc6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

After you level up to 70 you may be wondering what else in the game you can do. Well, like most MMORPG their is PvP (Player vs Player). You can go into Battlegrounds and fight against the other factions. There are different games like Capture the flag which is self explanatory. Their is another where you have to hold five territories from the other faction. Who ever holds the most territories for the longest wins. Then their is one more PvP game. Like the other you can hold the territories, but while doing this you can also kill bosses set in the Battleground which gives you even more points, so your team can win. Then their is always the Team Death Match games known as Arena. Where you team up of teams consisting of: 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5. In Arena you can go up against your own faction instead of just the enemy faction. You can also do huge raids, which consist of 15 people. You can then go attack enemy cities or go into instances and fight battles anywhere from 5 minutes long to 2 hours long.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2535/worldofwarcraft20080414iw7.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

So all in all I think World of Warcraft is a great game. Graphics wise the game isn't top of the line, but it's good enough to keep you occupied. Like most MMORPG's there is some lag when you enter area's with tons of people, that is expected though. The game may get boring after awhile. It just depends what your into and if you like games based on quest and teamwork. If you find a good guild you can get into the game really fast and have a lot of fun with it.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7262/worldofwarcraft20050518wv3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Graphics - 9/10
It's not top of the line, but some of the abilities are cool to watch.

Game Play - 9/10
This is one of the funnest games I have ever played to be honest.

Life Span - 10/10
I'll probably get a lot of disagreements, but If you get into this game you won't be able to stop playing. Unless you run out of money to pay for it, like I did

Story Line - 6/10
There's not much of a storyline into this game. They did attempt and it's in there if you look for it.

Overall - 9/10
Like I said before if you get into this game, you'll have a great time.

LiNuX
07-17-2008, 11:32 PM
nice WoW Review - still reading over a few - i have a few friends that play WoW a lot, blackleo being one of them lol - i always wanted to try it but i am against P2P games - don't feel like paying monthly to play games - would rather save money and do something else with it

also didn't get it because i get hooked on RPGs and MMORPGs and i waste a lot of time lol, so i am afraid to do that, not a kid anymore that I can afford to play 12 hrs a day

good review, great screenshots as well

Hawk
08-06-2008, 05:01 AM
Nice review Trunks...

I've tried the free 1 month trial
Its a good game... just a bit pricey if you ask me...

Crazyspawn
08-06-2008, 12:47 PM
Nice review. Tried the game off a friends account. Was fun, but a bit slow.

LiNuX
08-06-2008, 02:46 PM
Nice review. Tried the game off a friends account. Was fun, but a bit slow.

bit slow as in lag? or like leveling and stuff?

also i might give WoW a go this December after my term is over :D I might as well play cuz I am planning on going to europe for a term next year

Trunks
08-06-2008, 08:37 PM
You level fast in WoW compared to other MMORPG's....

LiNuX
08-06-2008, 08:47 PM
You level fast in WoW compared to other MMORPG's....

ah..guess he meant game lag then lol

Crazyspawn
08-06-2008, 09:15 PM
bit slow as in lag? or like leveling and stuff?

also i might give WoW a go this December after my term is over :D I might as well play cuz I am planning on going to europe for a term next year

I meant leveling wise. Not as bad as Mapelstory and other such games though.

LiNuX
08-06-2008, 09:17 PM
I meant leveling wise. Not as bad as Mapelstory and other such games though.

oh....maybe you're not doing it fast enough lol...confusing when 1 person says its fast and another says its slow lol

Trunks
08-06-2008, 09:39 PM
If you level from quest, it's a lot faster than, FF 11, Maple Story, flyff and silkroad. All the MMORPG's I could think of that I played. People level from 1 to 70 in less than a month, it doesn't take too long to do. In FF 11 it will take you 6-8 months.

Crazyspawn
08-07-2008, 12:14 AM
oh....maybe you're not doing it fast enough lol...confusing when 1 person says its fast and another says its slow lol

I usually train alone. Very rarely will I be in a party that's not made up of a friend or two let alone people I don't know. So that's probably why it was slow for me.

Blackleo
08-07-2008, 12:19 AM
I would have to disagree on Alliance =Good Horde = Bad trust me I love more horde then I do alliance, and Iam alliance !!! Think of it as which side would you rather be a hero of ?

Trunks
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
I would have to disagree on Alliance =Good Horde = Bad trust me I love more horde then I do alliance, and Iam alliance !!! Think of it as which side would you rather be a hero of ?

Well personally, in a game with 2 factions I think as one side good and one side as bad. The alliance seem to be the "good guys" to me. Hint ally? It doesn't effect what race I use in the game though. I normally pick the one that looks the best when I start.

Also, I didn't say Alliance are the good guys and the horde are the bad guys. I said You may call the Alliance the "good guys". Even if I did say that, it's an opinion anyway, if you disagree write your own review.

shifted316
05-20-2009, 09:09 PM
very fun game...too addicting tho

Kujo
05-21-2009, 11:15 AM
Story Line - 6/10
There's not much of a storyline into this game. They did attempt and it's in there if you look for it.

Ok, have you even played the game? No, let me ask that again, did you ever take the time to read any of the quests, more importantly as you reached lvl 60 and then 70 and now 80??

The entire WoW experience is based off of the first 3 RTS titles, Warcraft I, II, III respectively. WoW is one giant game of stories and lore that if taken the time to read is an amazing story.

During the time that I actually played WoW (which ended just a few months ago due to RL time constraints) I went through and read most of the books that coenside with the games and it's easily one of the best fantasy stories I've ever read.

Your 6/10 rating for the story line is VERY "slap-in-the-face" to Blizzard and the stand-alone writers who worked on the multitude of story lines in the series.

Jaykub
05-21-2009, 01:16 PM
10/10 Review. Rep given.
I play it time to time. WOW seems to be ok but I think runescape fits me.

Trunks
05-21-2009, 03:38 PM
10/10 Review. Rep given.
I play it time to time. WOW seems to be ok but I think runescape fits me.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Ok, have you even played the game? No, let me ask that again, did you ever take the time to read any of the quests, more importantly as you reached lvl 60 and then 70 and now 80??

The entire WoW experience is based off of the first 3 RTS titles, Warcraft I, II, III respectively. WoW is one giant game of stories and lore that if taken the time to read is an amazing story.

During the time that I actually played WoW (which ended just a few months ago due to RL time constraints) I went through and read most of the books that coenside with the games and it's easily one of the best fantasy stories I've ever read.

Your 6/10 rating for the story line is VERY "slap-in-the-face" to Blizzard and the stand-alone writers who worked on the multitude of story lines in the series.

I quit WoW awhile back ago. Before the 2nd expansion came out. Well first of all, I said nothing about the books. Second of all, I said nothing about Warcraft 1,2 or 3. Since you played the game for such a long time... The story line IN THE GAME that go with the quest don't link together at all. Most of them are like;

Go save my wife, she went fishing over my the pond and hasn't come back for awhile. Can you help me find her?

Or the occasionally

This machine broke down and I need parts to fix it. I need 15 bolts and all 3 pieces of the blue prints that I lost somewhere in the cave to the east

Honestly... I'm not sure what game you were playing. There is no main quest in the game. None of them continue farther than 3 or 4 quest. Every quest in WoW is a side quest. That's what MMO's are, there are very few MMOs' that have a main story line.

Also, I don't really think it matters what level I was, but if you really want to know. I was a NE druid Healing spec, level 70 with T4.

Kujo
05-21-2009, 05:01 PM
Ok, you completely missed my point. What I was getting at about being higher level is once there, ALL the quests involving the top tier instances (Black Temple, Sunwell Plateau, etc) are chock full of lore and story and they go into a great level of detail explaining why you're there to kick Illidans, Kil'jaedens and so on and so forths a5ses and why they're busy being a bunch of douchebags in the first place. Mount Hyjal is once gigantic lorefest full of story. All you need to do is take the time to read the quests and watch the cinematics when they pop up.

And no, none of that has anything to do with the books or Warcraft I-III.

Trunks
05-21-2009, 06:52 PM
Ok, you completely missed my point. What I was getting at about being higher level is once there, ALL the quests involving the top tier instances (Black Temple, Sunwell Plateau, etc) are chock full of lore and story and they go into a great level of detail explaining why you're there to kick Illidans, Kil'jaedens and so on and so forths a5ses and why they're busy being a bunch of douchebags in the first place. Mount Hyjal is once gigantic lorefest full of story. All you need to do is take the time to read the quests and watch the cinematics when they pop up.

And no, none of that has anything to do with the books or Warcraft I-III.

I suppose, but like I said where you quoted. "They did attempt it" I wouldn't give high rating to a game that has a semi decent story at the end of the game only. An rpg to me is basically a movie with little parts where you interact in it. I mean honestly, the cut seens are what you look forward to in an RPG.

I do agree with you though, I suppose there is more story toward the end, but normally I'm in a raid group during all those times. I don't feel like reading paragraphs so I never read them thoroughly and still don't care too. WoW to me doesn't need a story, It would be just as great without one.

MeeshaMelee
07-21-2009, 09:47 PM

Agreed. WOW was almost too fast leveling wise for me.

Cervantes
07-22-2009, 10:08 AM
sry this is just me knit picking at the little thing's but there is no 4v4 in arena only 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5

RaiDae
07-22-2009, 01:49 PM
sry this is just me knit picking at the little thing's but there is no 4v4 in arena only 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5

that's a wee bit weird.... why not 4v4? Will it destroy the system? 'cos that;d be funny to watch

Trunks
07-22-2009, 03:53 PM

Yea, not sure what I was thinking. I did it so long ago, I don't know if it was a typo or what lol. Thanks though.

Blackmouse
10-14-2009, 09:48 AM
Who knows when will the WOW Cataclysm?