PDA

View Full Version : Sony, your doing it wrong.

jakncoke
07-17-2008, 11:44 PM
This afternoon, Sony Computer Entertainment senior vice president of marketing Peter Diller answered several of the lingering questions about the new 80GB PS3. First, the $399 model will soon be the "de facto standard SKU" in North America, with all other models--including the 40GB bare-bones model being phased out. Diller said Sony has already ceased shipping the 40GB to stores, and is letting the remaining stock of the console clear itself out of the retail channel. He said Sony had no price cut akin to Microsoft's $50 discounting of the now-discontinued 20GB Xbox 360.

You probably already know about how the 80gb will be 400 and without BC, but now it seems 40 gb is gone forever as well. So this leads me to believe a 120 gb or high PS3 with BC for 500 will be on the market this fall which will be yet another PS3 version on the market. The times of buying a console and only having to worry about it a new version that is smaller down the road or a new color is sweet time of the past. Nintendo is defiantly doing lots of things right this gen, 1 console, 1 version is one of them..freaking SKU wars between 360/PS3 is ridiculous.

Trunks
07-17-2008, 11:50 PM
So till the 80gb comes then now there won't be very man PS3's selling. They should lowered the price to like 350 so they can still make money before the 80 comes out.

jakncoke
07-18-2008, 12:41 AM
So till the 80gb comes then now there won't be very man PS3's selling. They should lowered the price to like 350 so they can still make money before the 80 comes out.

channel clearing, so basically from now till September they are going to try and sell all the 80gb with bc, 80 mgs bundles and 40 gb. What they should have done was had a full BC PS3 with 160 gb for $450 and nothing else, imo even at 450 that'd sold really well.

LiNuX
07-18-2008, 01:09 AM
at $500 a 160gb hdd one would have sold lol - they are doing it wrong...too many versions sheesh - and i wanted to get a ps3 sometime in my life, by then they'll probably have 20 different choices

Naga_Shesh
07-18-2008, 04:07 AM
Actually the hard disk size is changeable,I can easily change my 40gb to a 120gb with no sweat.There is a PS3 side compartment where you can just pull it out and change it.The only question is weather the newer versions are backwards compatible and with flash card readers.

I personally feel that these additional add-ons are unnecessary because there are many backwards compatibility issues.Like some music wont play or the cutscenes get skipped right away (PS2 & PS1 games).Maybe the flash card readers are useful,but only until a certain extend.

jakncoke
07-18-2008, 10:11 AM
Actually the hard disk size is changeable,I can easily change my 40gb to a 120gb with no sweat.There is a PS3 side compartment where you can just pull it out and change it.The only question is weather the newer versions are backwards compatible and with flash card readers.

I personally feel that these additional add-ons are unnecessary because there are many backwards compatibility issues.Like some music wont play or the cutscenes get skipped right away (PS2 & PS1 games).Maybe the flash card readers are useful,but only until a certain extend.

Ya interchangable and easy but honestly who wants to buy a PS3 for it's high price and games and shell out more for a new HD? not everyone is made of money, . And speaking of flash card readers/PS2 BC , Trenton stated the new 80gb would have the same features as the 40gb, the 40 gb didn't have readers/no BC and only 2 USB slots..which adds fuel to my rant of Sony ****ing up, my rant is occurring because I will be getting a new PS3 in the future when I move out of my house and well I want BC and all the features of the 60gb and it seems Sony wants to do the opposite of that

Naga_Shesh
07-18-2008, 07:12 PM
@jakncoke

Don't worry about the price of the games :) I usually wait 4-5 months after that game has been released then I buy it on clearance or second hand.Way cheaper then buying it on the release day,but if you are a fan of a title I'm sure u'll try to get it first day

jakncoke
07-18-2008, 07:20 PM
@jakncoke

Don't worry about the price of the games :) I usually wait 4-5 months after that game has been released then I buy it on clearance or second hand.Way cheaper then buying it on the release day,but if you are a fan of a title I'm sure u'll try to get it first day

If I have the money at the time, there's no way I can wait several months for game prices to go down. I feel left out of the party and really you are most of the time as most move on to other games in under 3 months.

Hockeyfan
07-26-2008, 10:41 PM
This is crazy.

Why can't they just leave BC on the 80GB and make it $400? BC is one of the biggest things I want for my PS3.

jakncoke
07-26-2008, 11:03 PM
This is crazy.

Why can't they just leave BC on the 80GB and make it $400? BC is one of the biggest things I want for my PS3.

cost saving, last time I looked the PS2 guts cost like 50 bucks to include.

Trunks
07-26-2008, 11:06 PM
If I have the money at the time, there's no way I can wait several months for game prices to go down. I feel left out of the party and really you are most of the time as most move on to other games in under 3 months.

I agree it's best to get the game right when it comes out. I always feel left out when I see people talking about games that I want to get and don't have.

jakncoke
07-26-2008, 11:09 PM
I agree it's best to get the game right when it comes out. I always feel left out when I see people talking about games that I want to get and don't have.

not to mention waiting also gives you a chance at missing online, this happened to me with The Darkness and Stranglehold for PS3. When finally got the game(like 5 months after they came out) there was 0 ppl on at like 3 pm..I was like WOW, you'd think there'd be like less than 10 hardcore ppl.

EpsilonX
07-27-2008, 10:09 PM
not to mention waiting also gives you a chance at missing online, this happened to me with The Darkness and Stranglehold for PS3. When finally got the game(like 5 months after they came out) there was 0 ppl on at like 3 pm..I was like WOW, you'd think there'd be like less than 10 hardcore ppl.

I bought FEAR late last year and there were a total of like 6 people online.

Some people still play splinter cell double agent...but that's a really unique online experience that you can't get on any other game. Sneaking around with other players hunting you down

But online really isn't my thing, and I don't care about "the party" or whatever you called it. Sure it felt good playing MGS4 when everyone else did, but honestly, I'd rather save myself $20 and play the game after the wooo has worn off. Some games drop in price a month after release. (dark sector, condemned 2)

And yes, I agree sony is being dumb. To whoever said by the time you get a ps3 there will be about 20 different choices, more like there will be like 2 different choices because the rest will be discontinued. (i think it was linux)

and is it just me or does it seem like every version of the ps3 released is worse than the last? First they ditch the PS2 hardware, then they ditch ps2 games in general and 2 usb ports and some other stuff....I'm glad i got the 60 GB when I did.

jakncoke
07-27-2008, 11:59 PM
I bought FEAR late last year and there were a total of like 6 people online.

Some people still play splinter cell double agent...but that's a really unique online experience that you can't get on any other game. Sneaking around with other players hunting you down

But online really isn't my thing, and I don't care about "the party" or whatever you called it. Sure it felt good playing MGS4 when everyone else did, but honestly, I'd rather save myself $20 and play the game after the wooo has worn off. Some games drop in price a month after release. (dark sector, condemned 2)

And yes, I agree sony is being dumb. To whoever said by the time you get a ps3 there will be about 20 different choices, more like there will be like 2 different choices because the rest will be discontinued. (i think it was linux)

and is it just me or does it seem like every version of the ps3 released is worse than the last? First they ditch the PS2 hardware, then they ditch ps2 games in general and 2 usb ports and some other stuff....I'm glad i got the 60 GB when I did.

Sure there will be 2 or 1 in retail but they'll always be like 5 zillion different in the used market and when some ppl decide to make a leap into the current they sometime consider those options as well.