PDA

View Full Version : Kaz Hirai reveal PS3 sales target lulz inside.

jakncoke
07-20-2008, 03:48 PM
Kaz Hirai, chief executive of Sony’s PlayStation games console business, has set an ambitious target of reaching nearly 150m in sales for its slow-starting PlayStation 3 console.

Sony told those attending the video game industry’s E3 convention last week that sales of its original PlayStation, launched in 1994, had reached 102m units and the PlayStation 2 console had now passed 140m worldwide in its ninth year on sale.
Mr Hirai, in a Financial Times interview, said his aim was for the PS3 to surpass sales of the PS2 over a similar time period.

“It’s not fun for me replicating the PS2 numbers. I’ve seen that movie already,” he said.

“I want to try to see if we can exceed the PS2 numbers after nine years, otherwise why are we in this business?”

Twenty months after the PS3’s release, the console is barely 10 per cent towards his target. Sales to the end of Sony’s fiscal year in March were 12.85m and it expects to sell another 10m in the current fiscal year.

man 140 million shipped PS2 is a **** ton, what's crazy whatever the PS2 ends up with it'll most likely be passed by DS/Wii and now back lulz...150 million PS3...ya right...maybe if the console is on the shelves for like 14 yrs.

Kujo
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
PS3s biggest downfall IMO is its pricetag and lack of serious opening day releases.

jakncoke
07-21-2008, 01:51 PM
PS3s biggest downfall IMO is its pricetag and lack of serious opening day releases.

yup price is what defiantly killed it, I bet if it was priced closer to what Wii is priced at that it would have like gangbusters regardless of the games, PS2 did it...I'm sure PS3 would have followed suit.

OldSnakeWontDie
07-21-2008, 05:36 PM
If it were around 400 0r 300 even, it would have killed on the market.

Mr Cool
07-26-2008, 05:27 PM
I dont get why you are surprised. Theres no telling what might happen over the next 7-8 years.

Scott
07-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I dont get why you are surprised. Theres no telling what might happen over the next 7-8 years.

I know it wont surpass the PS2 sales. That's 3 kinds of stupid.

Mr Cool
07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
I know it wont surpass the PS2 sales. That\'s 3 kinds of stupid.

You cant see into the future. who knows what will happen in the next 8 years or so. The PS3 is being adopted at a higher rate than the PS2 was.

Scott
07-26-2008, 05:36 PM
You cant see into the future. who knows what will happen in the next 8 years or so. The PS3 is being adopted at a higher rate than the PS2 was.

lol wut.

Think about their utter lack of intrest in dropping the price. And think about the Wii blowing them out of the damn water. And think about their continued loss of exclusives making them LESS attractive not more. Then ask yourself "Is this a realistic goal... even remotely?"

Mr Cool
07-26-2008, 05:44 PM
lol wut.

Think about their utter lack of intrest in dropping the price. And think about the Wii blowing them out of the damn water. And think about their continued loss of exclusives making them LESS attractive not more. Then ask yourself \"Is this a realistic goal... even remotely?\"

Jesus Christ. Do you think the wii \"blowing them out of the damn water\" has a lot to do with the price discrepancy? That has lot to do with it. The American dollar is weak and most people arent going to spring for a 360 OR PS3. Sales have been dissapointing for both, but at least the PS3 is showing an upward trend.

Loss of exclusives? if you make a list of PS3 titles as opposed to the 360 then the PS3 wins hands down. Its not even remotely close.

Buisnesses are in this console race to make money, its why the 360 has only dropped price by a small ammount since its been out and its why Sony hasnt been able to drop the price of the PS3 by a lot. New technology does not come free or cheap Im sorry but your whole post reeks of either fanboyism or ignorance - I really and honestly cant tell.

Scott
07-26-2008, 05:49 PM
lol I'm glad you think they'll reach 150 million consoles sold and a faster selling pace than the PS2. Good luck with that. It's quite hilarious but okay.

Yeah they'll reach their target.

As it becomes less and less likely to be met, they'll simply start reducing the target number. Eventually they'll just make the target number the number they've already sold and then start bragging about it. And I have no doubt you'll be right their singing praise of their dominance.

Mr Cool
07-26-2008, 06:03 PM
lol I\'m glad you think they\'ll reach 150 million consoles sold and a faster selling pace than the PS2. Good luck with that. It\'s quite hilarious but okay.

Yeah they\'ll reach their target.

As it becomes less and less likely to be met, they\'ll simply start reducing the target number. Eventually they\'ll just make the target number the number they\'ve already sold and then start bragging about it. And I have no doubt you\'ll be right their singing praise of their dominance.

You didn\'t respond to a single thing I posted. Thats very typical of you and Im not the least surprised you have no idea whats going to happen within the next 8 years or so. You sing the praises of the Wii when, in fact, it sales at a much lower price point than its 2 competitiors.Then you shrug that off and act like it doesnt make a difference.

It also seems that you foolishly expect sony to give away emerging technology for a discount price. Good luck with that one. Its one reason why Microsoft hasnt dropped the price on the 360 as much as they want to - money has to be made.

Scott
07-26-2008, 06:34 PM
You didn\'t respond to a single thing I posted. Thats very typical of you and Im not the least surprised you have no idea whats going to happen within the next 8 years or so. You sing the praises of the Wii when, in fact, it sales at a much lower price point than its 2 competitiors.Then you shrug that off and act like it doesnt make a difference.

It also seems that you foolishly expect sony to give away emerging technology for a discount price. Good luck with that one. Its one reason why Microsoft hasnt dropped the price on the 360 as much as they want to - money has to be made.

I'm sorry. I didn't respond to your posts because I didn't think they were very revelant well-presented. You are like talking to a wall. So pardon... but when I neglect responces to particular commentaries it's because I didn't find them worth the effort. But don't take it personally I respond to maningful posts!. Even if they're few and far between sometimes.

Sony has clearly stated that they are trying to make money off of the PS3 now. They have no interest in dropping the price for a good while. I wouldn't be shocked if we don't see a price drop until sometime next year. It's not a pricepoint designed to move havy loads of consoles. And to be quite frank if they can't get that price closer to $250, they can't expect to move the kind of volume it'll take for them to meet PS2 sales figures. It's really an impossibility. I think 70-80 million might have been a quasi-realistic goal. I think any rational mind would agree. But the PS3 has shown neither the market excitement nor the 3rd party prefrencing necessary to establish it as the kind of force commensurate with those kinds of sales.
The Playstation 3 may have the Playstation name, but it does not have the popularity that has accompanied the Playstation family for so long.

So yeah, I'll stick with my 70-80 million numbers. You go ahead and stick with that 150 million figure (surpassing PS2 sales and popularity in the same ammount of time) we'll see how this ends. But I'm very confident that they'll simply revise those goals (if they are even their real goals which I doubt they are).

jakncoke
07-26-2008, 09:56 PM
70-80 sounds about right. 150 is just lulz.

EpsilonX
07-27-2008, 10:01 PM
Mr Cool, even I know that the 360 has more popular games than the ps3 and that the PS3 will NOT sell 150 million.

jakncoke
07-28-2008, 12:04 AM
Mr Cool, even I know that the 360 has more popular games than the ps3 and that the PS3 will NOT sell 150 million.

holy shiii :rubseyes:, a logical post about the PS3 coming from you :gasp: the world is defiantly ending cause hell just froze over.

EpsilonX
07-28-2008, 02:36 PM
holy shiii :rubseyes:, a logical post about the PS3 coming from you :gasp: the world is defiantly ending cause hell just froze over.

i've been trying to tell you all along but you haven't been listening.

btw, way to spam. anyways...uhh

there's no way to save this post from off-topicness.

jakncoke
07-28-2008, 03:49 PM
i've been trying to tell you all along but you haven't been listening.

btw, way to spam. anyways...uhh

there's no way to save this post from off-topicness.

If your going to accuse me, at least accuse me of the thing I'm actually doing and that's derailing the topic and stfu if you don't think that happens all the time so take the sand out of your vagina and stop being a whiny biatch.