PDA

View Full Version : Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7

EpsilonX
07-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Review #2: Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/EpsilonX_2008/Games/crisis_core_cover.jpg

So I finally got around to doing my second review.

Crisis Core is the prequel to the extremely popular and highly influential PS1 rpg Final Fantasy 7. It’s a solid game, but it does have some faults. First off

Graphics: 9.5/10

Of course, 9.5/10 for graphics isn’t saying much since it’s a psp game, so of course it doesn’t look great compared to games such as Metal Gear Solid 4, but it is probably the best looking psp game to date. The in-game engine produces fantastic graphics, and the pre-rendered cutscenes are absolutely phenomenal. There are some minor visual flaws though, but not big enough to mention.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/EpsilonX_2008/Games/925138_20080521_screen001.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/EpsilonX_2008/Games/925138_20080325_screen026.jpg
http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/EpsilonX_2008/Games/925138_20080325_screen012.jpg

Plot: 8/10

I haven’t made it through the entire plot yet, but when I finish the plot of the game I will come back and update this review. Anyways, the plot is pretty good…but it could be a lot better. It doesn’t have that epic feel of the other Final fantasy games. This game has sort of a low key feel to it compared to the very large (but somewhat bland) plot of the original Final Fantasy 7. Expect a good plot, but not great.

Gameplay: 7/10

It’s hard to rate the gameplay of this game. Before I go over why, I’ll tell you what gameplay is like. You control Zack Fair, a member of SOLDIER. You explore the area that you’re in, and you have random encounter battles, which is more like set location battles. Each map has certain areas that if you enter the area, a battle starts. Most maps are pretty easy to tell where the encounter areas are, but some aren’t. In battle, you’re free to move your character around as you please. You control the spell/attack you’re going to use with the L and R buttons, or can just perform a normal attack. Press x to use the currently selected action. You can guard or dive out of the way of enemies. If you are facing an enemy, it will be highlighted. Pressing the attack button will make zack run up to the enemy and attack it, or if you’re close enough to the enemy already, then it will just attack the enemy.

The thing that makes the gameplay hard to rate is it’s incredible unbalance. It’s fun to play, but really easy, thanks to a random slot-machine based level-up system called the DMW. The DMW spins around and depending on the number combinations you got, you’ll get a different power-up, or nothing. Sometimes you’ll enter a modulating phase where you can level up, or other times you enter a similar screen which controls limit breaks. With gameplay so random, it’s hard to balance the strengths of the enemies, so they’re all really easy. But like I said, gameplay is still fun, despite these problems.

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk202/EpsilonX_2008/Games/925138_20080325_screen008.jpg

Final Thoughts:

I really think SE wanted to make this game just to tell the story, and wasn’t too concerned with gameplay. They tend to hold your hand through the whole thing. If you’re a final fantasy fan, or even If you’re not and you’re just looking for an action rpg on psp with a good plot, then pick up Crisis Core: Final Fantasy 7

Overall: 8/10 (NOT an average)

Recommended.

All images except for cover art are taken from gamespot.

LiNuX
07-23-2008, 01:36 PM
i played this on my pc - was the best back in the day lol haven't played on the psp though - good review :)

EpsilonX
07-23-2008, 01:40 PM
i played this on my pc - was the best back in the day lol haven't played on the psp though - good review :)

well....the psp game isn't the same as the ps1/pc game haha

LiNuX
07-23-2008, 02:15 PM
well....the psp game isn't the same as the ps1/pc game haha

yea i figured that since you said it was the prequel lol - still a nice game

Shixx
07-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Yep, good review, I still remember the CGI scene when you fight Ifrit.. looked sweet.

diablo
07-30-2008, 12:11 PM
i never played FF 7 any where and they made a prequel to it on the psp, its cool though but the third and fourth pics look choppy to me, is that just me?

EpsilonX
08-02-2008, 12:06 AM
i never played FF 7 any where and they made a prequel to it on the psp, its cool though but the third and fourth pics look choppy to me, is that just me?

the third and fourth pics are gameplay footage. the first 2 are cutscene footage. Of course they look choppy, but the screen is smaller than what i posted, so it looks a lot better.

Those are pretty good graphics for a handheld.

Blackbird
08-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Yes I have this game on PSP so I can tell this game isn't bad, at least Final Fantasy 7 remaking is good but not as the old one xD

Iceskater101
08-09-2008, 05:56 PM
nice review if I had a psp I would seriously consider getting this game.

Hawk
08-09-2008, 08:17 PM
looks very nice,
good review +rep.

Exylis
04-01-2009, 04:10 PM
Great game. Fair review!